• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What emotion typically precedes a binge episode?

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I want to begin tracking this. Surely not every strong emotion is an antecedent.

This evening, my binge began with a feeling of unworthiness. Thoughts related to that included, I'm never good enough, I need to be perfect, I have to control uncertainty, I have to control my thoughts about food.

How I feel afterwards is a lot easier: disgusted, disappointed, frustrated and worried.

What feeling(s) are in you before a binge episode?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I don't binge as a person with a disorder would do, but i am aware that i will use certain things to get me through a day. I graze all day and that includes cups of coffee.

I personally do something like go online to check my emails or my bank, and then will need something to come after that as i am always restless.

The thing after that might be to clean the bath, and if i can manage that i will, but afterward i will need coffee/food/another distraction.

I say distraction, but maybe it is something to do, which it keeping me occupied.

A time where i may drink and put the music on will be down to symptoms of my illness such as restlessness. Also, anything upsetting in my mind would be a part of this.

Perhaps people binge when they have no more distraction or do not feel able to carry out a distraction such as not feeling able to clean the bath.

Perhaps too, anxiety or depression or an upsetting memory, causes the need to distract?

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Perhaps too, anxiety or depression or an upsetting memory, causes the need to distract?
I think so. Or boredom.

Tonight, I began feeling like I don't do enough with my life. Then I felt an empty feeling which grew stronger. Then frustration at being unable to cope with being alone.
I tried to distract but couldn't concentrate, not even watching a show on television could divert me from the feeling for very long.

I want to strengthen my tolerance for this empty feeling that comes with thoughts of not being good enough. I believe I can sit with it until it passes. But not today.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think so. Or boredom.

Tonight, I began feeling like I don't do enough with my life. Then I felt an empty feeling which grew stronger. Then frustration at being unable to cope with being alone.
I tried to distract but couldn't concentrate, not even watching a show on television could divert me from the feeling for very long.

I want to strengthen my tolerance for this empty feeling that comes with thoughts of not being good enough. I believe I can sit with it until it passes. But not today.
I find being amongst people helps with my problems so i will walk to the shop and sometimes just buy a pint of milk. It is the saying hello to people i walk past or hearing the birds, saying thanks to the person on the till.

The exercise too, the walking there and back really helps. I don't know why, it just gets things going in the right direction, my body and mind has a small MOT.

M

Mariecab20

I think so. Or boredom.

I’ve never related to anything as much. I consider myself to be in a state of recovery so I try to catch myself when the desire to overeat or overindulge starts to creep up on me again & I notice a lot of time it is triggered by boredom & a sense of feeling like why should I even care ? I’m lonely & eating will distract me & fill some kind of void I can’t really put a finger on. Then I realize where my thoughts are going & what they can lead to & I try to distract myself by doing anything else..

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I try to catch myself when the desire to overeat or overindulge starts to creep up on me again & I notice a lot of time
This right here gives me hope. It is possible to notice the early warning signs of a binge and I can learn in what situations I have a higher risk of a binge episode.

Thank you for fostering my hope by sharing insights you've gained through your struggle and live experience. I appreciate you!