• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

what else is there?

G

gilly

I have suffered from panic attacks, depression and ocd since the age of around 6 (for the panic attacks). I have seen child pychologists, and since turning 16 been on nearly every med going. I was actually left on lorazapam for over 4 years, after my psych was struck off for raping his patients. I am now off them and have been for over 6 years. Now, im on sertraline and have come off mirtazapine about 8 months ago. Ive had years of CBT, group therapy and seeing a CPN (who was crap, made me feel like i was being like i am on purpose and all he did was keep banging on about the givens method). I dont know what else is available to me. I was re refferred to the mental health team, who decided not to see me as ive had "all the help they can give me". I feel like ive been given up on. I certainly dont put it on, like ive been accused of, and ive apparently had the treatment the government say will cure me. I feel like im backed into a corner. I never finished school, have never worked, and would really love to! I want to be able to live independantly of my parents, but even practically speaking, this isnt possible.
I just dont know what else i can do. Im just so terrified of my panic attacks, every time i have one its like the first one ive ever had and i cant seem to accept them, theyre so intense. I even panic when my mum goes on holiday, its awful. Can anyone offer me any suggestions?:cry:

muddlemummy

muddlemummy

I've just been put on pregabalin (Lyrica) for anxiety by my psych. They have recently been approved for treating general anxiety disorder and some studies say they are as effective as the addictive benzos such as diazepam.

Might be worth asking your gp about? They are not addictive but could cause some withdrawal symptoms if you were to discontinue them abruptly. They can be taken with other medication as well. I take them alongside the 2 anti depressants I am on.

HTH

J

jamesdean

I have suffered from panic attacks, depression and ocd since the age of around 6 (for the panic attacks). I have seen child pychologists, and since turning 16 been on nearly every med going. I was actually left on lorazapam for over 4 years, after my psych was struck off for raping his patients. I am now off them and have been for over 6 years. Now, im on sertraline and have come off mirtazapine about 8 months ago. Ive had years of CBT, group therapy and seeing a CPN (who was crap, made me feel like i was being like i am on purpose and all he did was keep banging on about the givens method). I dont know what else is available to me. I was re refferred to the mental health team, who decided not to see me as ive had "all the help they can give me". I feel like ive been given up on. I certainly dont put it on, like ive been accused of, and ive apparently had the treatment the government say will cure me. I feel like im backed into a corner. I never finished school, have never worked, and would really love to! I want to be able to live independantly of my parents, but even practically speaking, this isnt possible.
I just dont know what else i can do. Im just so terrified of my panic attacks, every time i have one its like the first one ive ever had and i cant seem to accept them, theyre so intense. I even panic when my mum goes on holiday, its awful. Can anyone offer me any suggestions?:cry:
I really feel for you my difficuilties started at age about 8 this is my earliest memory, You can liveindependantly you just have to go back to all these services and tell them you need a carer n they have to help you all mh services should have a social worker u need it in writing all the treatments that you have had and that they are unable to offer any more,have you thought of going to the day centre,they are lovely places to meet others chat do activities etc.

Warm regards JD

G

gilly

I have never seen a social worker. Never even been offered the chance. Didnt know i could see one. Just shows what sort of 'help' ive had!
Will ask about that med, ive not had much luck with meds tho, they tend to make me feel very sick. But thanks for the suggestions, will look into it all.