What dosage of lamotrigine (Lamictal) do you take?

S

Scar1453ad

I was lucky...I was in a depressive phase when i first tried it..2 days after starting the titration, at 25mg, it put me straight into hypomania(or just a good mood maybe, not sure which). and no, it was not placebo.

I got headaches and felt my blood pressure go up when i went to 100mg or above

keep an eye on your blood test/triglycerides....lamictal made mine sky rocket, and I eat a near perfect diet

J

Jstark

I currently take 150mg 2x a day. It worked for me and still is to some extent, but I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about upping it a bit. I've been depressive for about a year or more with a lot of high stress shit in my life during that. I'm functional most of the time but it's been very rough.

I also take 100mg of Pristiq in the morning. Again that combo has worked decently well but it may be time for an adjustment. I also take 25mg of adderall xr and then 15 of non xr after lunch. Just started that a couple of months ago and wow. Its interesting what that does for people who actually need it. I'm still not really focused but it took away a lot anxiety as the mental fog receded a bit. Not a bad thing.

I've got type 2 bipolar and it was a tough one to nail down because it can act like major depression in how long the depressive episodes can last. Years in some of mine. But no anti depressants on their own really worked for long. Or I'd have such a hard time tolerating them. Cotton mouth extreme nausea, fogged up head, sexual side effects etc. I tried 9 or 10 and they all barely worked. I tried them for 6 mos or more in some cases.

I know I'm lucky in that I don't need the super strong stuff as of yet. I tried Seroquel and even at a below average dose it knocked me flat and I stayed that way all of the next day. Zombie fatigue basically.

Shingle

Shingle

I currently take 150mg 2x a day. It worked for me and still is to some extent, but I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about upping it a bit. I've been depressive for about a year or more with a lot of high stress shit in my life during that. I'm functional most of the time but it's been very rough.

I also take 100mg of Pristiq in the morning. Again that combo has worked decently well but it may be time for an adjustment. I also take 25mg of adderall xr and then 15 of non xr after lunch. Just started that a couple of months ago and wow. Its interesting what that does for people who actually need it. I'm still not really focused but it took away a lot anxiety as the mental fog receded a bit. Not a bad thing.

I've got type 2 bipolar and it was a tough one to nail down because it can act like major depression in how long the depressive episodes can last. Years in some of mine. But no anti depressants on their own really worked for long. Or I'd have such a hard time tolerating them. Cotton mouth extreme nausea, fogged up head, sexual side effects etc. I tried 9 or 10 and they all barely worked. I tried them for 6 mos or more in some cases.

I know I'm lucky in that I don't need the super strong stuff as of yet. I tried Seroquel and even at a below average dose it knocked me flat and I stayed that way all of the next day. Zombie fatigue basically.
I feel like the longer i am on Lamotrigine, the more sedating it feels. I can mistake that for depression, or maybe it is depression. I only feel better if i increase my antidepressant. It is annoying how every 2 years i need to adjust something because it works less well.

Shingle

Shingle

I was lucky...I was in a depressive phase when i first tried it..2 days after starting the titration, at 25mg, it put me straight into hypomania(or just a good mood maybe, not sure which). and no, it was not placebo.

I got headaches and felt my blood pressure go up when i went to 100mg or above

keep an eye on your blood test/triglycerides....lamictal made mine sky rocket, and I eat a near perfect diet
Me too with hypomania, but it was because lamotrigine was not preventing hypomania until i had been taking it for 6 months or more. Then i fell to the other side after a year and more depression came. Nothing works well enough for long enough and that balance is hard to find.

megirl

megirl

Yeh it took me ages to get the right balance for depression. I found the 500mgs of lamotrigine a day made a huge difference. I also found the high dose of quetiapine also improves my mood. I am very fortunate that for a very small person my system tolerates high doses of medication to take effect. I dont have an sedative type of reaction

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Staff Member on Leave
Yeh it took me ages to get the right balance for depression. I found the 500mgs of lamotrigine a day made a huge difference. I also found the high dose of quetiapine also improves my mood. I am very fortunate that for a very small person my system tolerates high doses of medication to take effect. I dont have an sedative type of reaction
Hi megirl

Hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any problem with weight gain on the high doses?

I take 150mg of Lamictal and 300mg of Seroquel XR and have put on a small bit of weight which is annoying me! The doctor doesn't discuss it because she says that it is too futile to even talk about...

I came off Lyrica two weeks ago and think I have noticed a drop in the weight now, but I can't decide which drug is the culprit!

If you prefer not to answer that's absolutely fine.......just to say!

megirl

megirl

Well I was actually one of the fortunate ones who never put on any weight at all. Even now my weight is the same. And yes it would really bother me if I did put on weight.
Though if I was still crook and a drug did make a huge difference then yes I would have to accept that it made me put on weight but if that meant wellness then yep I accept that

Shingle

Shingle

I never put weight on either. My weight is increasing now only because my ssri has been doubled. I think i might have lost weight even.

J

jack black

Ill begin by saying that everyone is different, chemistry wise, so I am not devaluing the people who take higher doses. however, I severely believe this medications is over prescribed, to addict people. I am rapid cycling bp2.

When I am feeling fine, i cruise at 25mg. When I start to feel my self drop off the deep end, Ill go up to 50, if that doesn't work after a week, i go up to 75, after another week, I hit 100. I never go past 100mg . I don't aim to blunt my depression completely - just make it manageable enough to not sabotage my life. When I stop feeling really bad(a month or 2 for me), ill slowly titrate down by week at a time 75,50, and 25mg, if I can. I have successfully done this for 3 years.it works for me. I reset my chemical tolerance for it, when I dont need it.
WOW, i came up with the same scheme. it's 25mg for me (1/4 tablet) and higher as needed. when my emotions are still out of hand, i add low dose SSRI or low dose cymbalta.

i'm a huge fan of micro-dosing everything. maybe i'm super sensitive to meds?

Shingle

Shingle

WOW, i came up with the same scheme. it's 25mg for me (1/4 tablet) and higher as needed. when my emotions are still out of hand, i add low dose SSRI or low dose cymbalta.

i'm a huge fan of micro-dosing everything. maybe i'm super sensitive to meds?
No, i don't think it is that, i think you have to wait a couple of months to see if your mood stays stable. If not, you will have to adjust. The psychiatrist will put you straight on, say, 200mg, because then you don't have to keep living month to month.