What dosage of lamotrigine (Lamictal) do you take?

P_Rose

P_Rose

Hi Everyone,

I'm on lamotrigine for bipolar, currently at 150mg. I'm curious for others with bipolar what dose you take?

I'm still dealing with bouts of bad depression, though it's much, much better than a year ago when I was first diagnosed and not on medication. Part of me wants to up my medication, but when I last increased from 100mg to 150mg I didn't really notice any change in number of depressed days, but I did experience some additional side effects (fatigue, blurred vision making it difficult to drive, extreme sensitivity to even one occasional glass of wine).

It's so hard for me to figure out how many depressed days is "normal." If I can't get out of bed once a week, I feel like that means I haven't yet found the right medication balance. But since I'm very sensitive to medication, I'm also hesitant to risk more side effects.

Thanks for the input. I do have a therapist and psychiatrist and I am consulting with them as well.

Skynet

Skynet

0 mg

I'm on an SSRI, along with lithium, which hopefully helps with depression in the same way as lamotrigine.

megirl

megirl

I was put on lamotrigine after trying many SSRI's and SNRI's with no noticeable effect. Lamotrigine was started at 150mg's twice a day (this was started as an inpatient) at this dose it worked amazingly well for my depression we had to keep upping it for my anxiety/agitation/hypomanic symptoms
I am on 250mgs twice a day which has worked wonders.
I really hope that it works well for you as well x

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

I'm on 200mg lamotrigne twice a day. But I'm also on lithium and duloxitine.

I was very strongly advised not to drink whilst on these pills - I think the phrase was "one drink would make you ill, two drinks would put you in A&E and the remaining bottle would put you in the morgue". I tried the one drink and was ill. I never did it again. Also alcohol affects the absorption rate of any medication and therefore its effectiveness.

I do get the occasional bit of blurred vision - but once I had my eyes tested and a new pair of glasses this improved considerably.

B

Babykittens

I was at 150mg a day - in conjunction with my antidepressant. Worked for a month until I became the most depressed I'd ever been. This went on for months. I dropped to 300mg a week, and feel great - for 2 months now.

Shingle

Shingle

I am on 200mg. After two years i had to add an SSRI also. Two more years later and i am again having bouts of depression. The somnolence can be confused with depression don't you think. I find i never know anymore. I had an increase in SSRI and i was better but not as much as before. I think the longer i take Lamotrigine, the more somnolence is a problem. With all of these, i am soon having no hypomania so it might build up in strength the longer it is taken. If i try to take less Lamotrigine now, i am even more depressed. I'm stuck.

Shingle

Shingle

Lithium was the best for me but it was affecting kidney function after several years of taking it.

H

Hodetull

I’m on 400mg lamictal + 40mg fontex. It doesn’t work for me, so I guess I need to change medication..

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm on 225mg a day of Lamotrigine and find it works really well for me. I never realised what it was like to be balanced until I went on it. Everyone is varied though and what works for one won't for another. I can't have Lithium because my kidneys weren't functioning right after my last OD.

P_Rose

P_Rose

Thank you for all the responses -- this is helpful. It's so hard to figure out what's the right dose for my body, though overall I've been much better since starting lamotrigine.

Shingle

Shingle

200mg is the therapeutic dose for bipolar disorder. Anything less than that is according to my doctor, not enough. It worked brilliantly and i was so happy with it, the best i had ever had and no weight gain, perfect sleep, no side effects apart from bruises. As with most medication, it doesn't work forever as well. I am stuck now, four years later, but cannot think of a good alternative.

H

Hodetull

200mg is the therapeutic dose for bipolar disorder. Anything less than that is according to my doctor, not enough. It worked brilliantly and i was so happy with it, the best i had ever had and no weight gain, perfect sleep, no side effects apart from bruises. As with most medication, it doesn't work forever as well. I am stuck now, four years later, but cannot think of a good alternative.
Do you have any experience with any other medication for bipolar? Lithium for example.

S

Scar1453ad

Ill begin by saying that everyone is different, chemistry wise, so I am not devaluing the people who take higher doses. however, I severely believe this medications is over prescribed, to addict people. I am rapid cycling bp2.

When I am feeling fine, i cruise at 25mg. When I start to feel my self drop off the deep end, Ill go up to 50, if that doesn't work after a week, i go up to 75, after another week, I hit 100. I never go past 100mg . I don't aim to blunt my depression completely - just make it manageable enough to not sabotage my life. When I stop feeling really bad(a month or 2 for me), ill slowly titrate down by week at a time 75,50, and 25mg, if I can. I have successfully done this for 3 years.it works for me. I reset my chemical tolerance for it, when I dont need it. I will also mention that lamictal(+seroquel) wreaked havok on my blood test triglycerides, and this method has kept my blood work healthier than taking high doses.

my friend takes lamictal too..but he went done a different route.. started at 100, then 200. eventually 200 stop working. then 300, then 400
I seen people taking eventually 600.

H

Hodetull

Ill begin by saying that everyone is different, chemistry wise, so I am not devaluing the people who take higher doses. however, I severely believe this medications is over prescribed, to addict people. I am rapid cycling bp2.

When I am feeling fine, i cruise at 25mg. When I start to feel my self drop off the deep end, Ill go up to 50, if that doesn't work after a week, i go up to 75, after another week, I hit 100. I never go past 100mg . I don't aim to blunt my depression completely - just make it manageable enough to not sabotage my life. When I stop feeling really bad(a month or 2 for me), ill slowly titrate down by week at a time 75,50, and 25mg, if I can. I have successfully done this for 3 years.it works for me. I reset my chemical tolerance for it, when I dont need it. I will also mention that lamictal(+seroquel) wreaked havok on my blood test triglycerides, and this method has kept my blood work healthier than taking high doses.

my friend takes lamictal too..but he went done a different route.. started at 100, then 200. eventually 200 stop working. then 300, then 400
I seen people taking eventually 600.
It sounds smart to change dosages. Perhaps I should ask my psychiatrist if she thinks that’s a good option for me as well.
I really want this medication to work, but not sure if it has actually helped. Perhaps it has helped me a bit with depressions, but not at all with my hypomanic episodes.
I do have a few episodes of hypomania each year, this haven’t changed. My depressions is my main issue, they’re dark and long. Maybe it has helped a bit with the level of depression I have experienced, but not at all all the time. I still have them frequently, but maybe som of them has been a bit more manageable, I’m not sure.
I find it hard to think back and compare the different episodes. My memory is not the best 😅

Can you say for sure that the medication is helping you? Are you’re episodes just as frequent, but a bit more manageable?

S

Scar1453ad

It sounds smart to change dosages. Perhaps I should ask my psychiatrist if she thinks that’s a good option for me as well.
I really want this medication to work, but not sure if it has actually helped. Perhaps it has helped me a bit with depressions, but not at all with my hypomanic episodes.
I do have a few episodes of hypomania each year, this haven’t changed. My depressions is my main issue, they’re dark and long. Maybe it has helped a bit with the level of depression I have experienced, but not at all all the time. I still have them frequently, but maybe som of them has been a bit more manageable, I’m not sure.
I find it hard to think back and compare the different episodes. My memory is not the best 😅

Can you say for sure that the medication is helping you? Are you’re episodes just as frequent, but a bit more manageable?
it does help my depression, a little. i will still feel like a piece of sh*t, with no energy, but it helps with the deep self loathing and feeling like i want to die/disappear all day.

It does nothing for my hypo-mania(which is why/when I lower my dose). I think of it as a bandaid to help me get through till my hypo-mania kicks in. I like my hypo-mania. did i say like? I meant love. hypo-mania is when I count my macros, hit the gym 5 days a week, go dating, and im so productive that i feel usefull

H

Hodetull

it does help my depression, a little. i will still feel like a piece of sh*t, with no energy, but it helps with the deep self loathing and feeling like i want to die/disappear all day.

It does nothing for my hypo-mania(which is why/when I lower my dose). I think of it as a bandaid to help me get through till my hypo-mania kicks in. I like my hypo-mania. did i say like? I meant love. hypo-mania is when I count my macros, hit the gym 5 days a week, go dating, and im so productive that i feel usefull
Thanks for answering 😊 I love my hypo mania too, but the last episodes, not so much 😅 the downfall after a hypomanic episode is horrible. When I think about at, I do actually believe that lamictal may have helped me not constantly wanting to die when I’m down. Although I have had a few days when I have been suicidal, it’s not like that all the time. And sometimes even been able to work with myself. But.. I feel like my episodes have become more frequently. That’s a bit weird, considering it’s a mood stabilizer. On the other han, maybe it has something to do with the fact that my depression is a bit more manageable and sometimes pretty manageable.

Perhaps this is all that medication can do?

When I read about bipolar, it sounds like most people have so good effect from the medication, that they are pretty much as stable as a healthy person.

Do you think medication is overrated? Or that it has a much more efficient effect on some people?

megirl

megirl

I am very fortunate that after trying so many drugs lamotrigine was the one that made a huge difference to my mood. My depression lifted, and it take juggling to get the hypomania under control that's why I'm on a high dose. It did improve my mood at a lower dose

Shingle

Shingle

I am very fortunate that after trying so many drugs lamotrigine was the one that made a huge difference to my mood. My depression lifted, and it take juggling to get the hypomania under control that's why I'm on a high dose. It did improve my mood at a lower dose
That is good news. Do you have any side effects from it? I am having some problems with eye pain but it might not be this medication.