• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What does your psychotics state look like?

F

Failing Heart

I have been diagnosed as bipolar II and ADHD with some borderline tendencies… I have been asked so many times if I have psychosis and from all the reading I have done… I don’t. Then I read on a post here last week that feeling like you are being “controlled” is a form of paranoia and part of psychosis. I also had no idea what mania looked like for the longest time… The definitions they have all over the Internet are vastly different than how they look to individuals in real life. so my question is… What does psychosis look like to you? I know many people think they hear God or feel invincible and that is just so different from what I experience. I am wondering if I am bipolar I and just don’t know it (am in denial).

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

I don’t have bipolar I am diagnosed with BPD though so I hope this might be useful for you. I don’t have any grandiose delusions I do hear voices constantly usually in white noise or background sounds. I’m hesitant to say I’ve ever gone through a full blown psychotic episode but the closest things for me were thinking people wanted to kill me or evict me. Lots of issues with ideas of reference too.

F

Failing Heart

I don’t have bipolar I am diagnosed with BPD though so I hope this might be useful for you. I don’t have any grandiose delusions I do hear voices constantly usually in white noise or background sounds. I’m hesitant to say I’ve ever gone through a full blown psychotic episode but the closest things for me were thinking people wanted to kill me or evict me. Lots of issues with ideas of reference too.
Sometimes I hear voices or music that aren’t there… And it is also when there is a lot of background noise. The voices are never clear enough that I can make out what they are saying though and often times it is early in the morning or late late at night. I have had therapist/psychiatrist brush it off and say it’s probably nothing since I’m not fully awake… But sometimes I am fully awake. I don’t know what to make of it. Thank you for your response!

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

Mine are kinda repeating phrases and the voices always sound like the same man and women. It’s usually a man just repeating the emotional abuse of my past. That can trigger anxiety and that generally led to my more delusional episodes.

Q

Queenoface

Well I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features, so I experience psychosis often. Currently I hear voices but they don't torment me because I've grown accustomed to them and their nonsense. However, if I lose touch with reality, I start to believe I am either hearing from God or the devil and that causes me to become even more delusional and allows me to hallucinate more. I feel like something is trying to control me, but because I am Christian, I think it is the holy spirit or even the devil smh. But what helps is either receiving injections or having someone talk sense into me or even me realizing that what I am thinking isn't exactly logical or realistic and I snap out of it and regain some amount of normalcy and control over my mind. With that said, I need to be very careful of what I read, listen to or even believe in, because that can cause me to think irrationally and that can lead to psychosis. Stress also causes it for me too. This is just my experience for the past 5 years.