• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What does your manic episodes look like?

F

Failing Heart

For me, it’s just the way I talk to people during a manic episode that’s pretty embarrassing. Like my mind racing and switching subjects every 10 seconds. At times I’ll even stutter because my mind is moving faster than I can talk. I can’t sleep, sometimes for a couple of days. At times I’ll be so insanely happy like I’ve won the lottery or something but for literally no reason. It can be a great feeling, but it definitely doesn’t feel “normal”.
Yup, me too. Sometimes when I’m doing the fast talking I feel like the life of the party but other times I can tell I’m embarrassing myself but I still can’t stop:( It’s the worst when my bf tells me the next day after I think it’s been the best night ever.

G

Garnia

Yup, me too. Sometimes when I’m doing the fast talking I feel like the life of the party but other times I can tell I’m embarrassing myself but I still can’t stop:( It’s the worst when my bf tells me the next day after I think it’s been the best night ever.
Exaaactly!

N

NerdyDebby

Same here. I also try to start new hobby projects all the time but never finish. I get very social and talk alot, but I get easily bored. I'm unable to focus on anything and try to do everything at once leading me to never being able to finish anything. The only time it's positive is when I'm at work when I manage to channel my energy into that.
I can relate to this

Ruma55

Ruma55

My funniest manic behavior is that I get all of these ideas on business ventures that I’m going to start and become wildly successful. 99% of the ideas are ridiculous. Nonetheless I create a business name and register it with the IRS, register domain names and make websites. I currently have 24 TINs that I don’t remember what they even involved- I don’t know how to get rid of these and I’m amazed the IRS has never contacted me and asked about taxes. I also pay hundreds of dollars on scammy things like dropshipping programs, get rich quick courses, etc. One time I ordered 100 backpacks and Jade tea sets from China to sell on eBay. I’m manic at the moment and have spent the last 24 hours signing up for UpWork, WeWork, and a couple other dozen of gig sites so I can start my career as a freelance writer, and I decided to become a notary. Maybe someday I’ll stumble upon something real.

M

MariahGirl

My funniest manic behavior is that I get all of these ideas on business ventures that I’m going to start and become wildly successful. 99% of the ideas are ridiculous. Nonetheless I create a business name and register it with the IRS, register domain names and make websites. I currently have 24 TINs that I don’t remember what they even involved- I don’t know how to get rid of these and I’m amazed the IRS has never contacted me and asked about taxes. I also pay hundreds of dollars on scammy things like dropshipping programs, get rich quick courses, etc. One time I ordered 100 backpacks and Jade tea sets from China to sell on eBay. I’m manic at the moment and have spent the last 24 hours signing up for UpWork, WeWork, and a couple other dozen of gig sites so I can start my career as a freelance writer, and I decided to become a notary. Maybe someday I’ll stumble upon something real.
Just wondering, it seems thats you’re so aware that you’re manic and what you’re doing so do you try to have control over the impulsive decisions that you’re making or are you just going with it because you’re really thinking something great will come from it? Just asking because most people don’t seem to be aware when they’re manic but you seem to so you could try to have that self control if you wanted?
I haven’t had “feel good” or creative manic episodes in a long time. I think my episodes are all mixed and unfortunately just get the racing thoughts, insomnia, irritable, anxious etc. Just came out of one and feeling a bit more relaxed now but I think I’m going on meds again soon and it really ruins my life when I feel that way.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I relate a lot to this. When manic I have tried to start pie in the sky “save the world” kinds of businesses with build outs of satellite locations all over the world in the blueprints. I even took out a rental agreement on a commercial space for the office said business would go into. Even though I literally had no money, no backers and no knowledge of how to go about starting a business.
My last mania I had all these ideas to start new businesses and was on the phone with the SBA (small business administration) trying to get support to have them launched. I sold some beaded jewelry at a thrift shop for three to five dollars a piece. They all sold pretty quickly which made me think that I was a HUGELY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS OWNER. I also dropped off secondhand clothing at thrift shops and sold it on consignment there which I considered to be another WILDLY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS even though I really made no money but just got rid of stuff. I have joined swingers sites when manic and hypersexual and traveled to NYC to hook up with dozens of guys in ways that were high risk and very unsafe for me.
I have had many incidents of reckless driving and got three charges of Reckless Endangerment for things I still don’t understand. I bought Christmas presents for about a dozen celebrities that I do not know having and another half dozen friends off of Facebook that I have never met irl. I am not into celebrity culture. These I just ended up donating to the Salvation Army since I came too from the mania before I could send them out. Shipping was also cost prohibitive. I filled a whole storage unit full of junk I got for free thinking that homeless people could use it when they got their housing. It was part of my plan to “save the world.” I am still paying $165/month for the unit because I haven’t hired anyone to clean it out yet which is probably going to cost around $1,000.00. I have spammed exes with three to five email messages a day until they had to threaten to press charges for harassment to get me to stop maniacally contacting them. Once I came out of the mania I realized how inappropriate it was and how I didn’t really even want to be contacting them (!!!) So my manias have been great big giant catastrophes. They have been AWFUL. I am considered a severe case by doctors. Few things are more dangerous to me in my life than mania. I used to not believe that I had Bipolar but it took this last mania to convince me. Now I try to stay away from mania as much as possible. By eating right, sleeping right, getting exercise and TAKING MY MEDS. It’s no small thing for me.

Ruma55

Ruma55

I relate a lot to this. When manic I have tried to start pie in the sky “save the world” kinds of businesses with build outs of satellite locations all over the world in the blueprints. I even took out a rental agreement on a commercial space for the office said business would go into. Even though I literally had no money, no backers and no knowledge of how to go about starting a business.
My last mania I had all these ideas to start new businesses and was on the phone with the SBA (small business administration) trying to get support to have them launched. I sold some beaded jewelry at a thrift shop for three to five dollars a piece. They all sold pretty quickly which made me think that I was a HUGELY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS OWNER. I also dropped off secondhand clothing at thrift shops and sold it on consignment there which I considered to be another WILDLY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS even though I really made no money but just got rid of stuff. I have joined swingers sites when manic and hypersexual and traveled to NYC to hook up with dozens of guys in ways that were high risk and very unsafe for me.
I have had many incidents of reckless driving and got three charges of Reckless Endangerment for things I still don’t understand. I bought Christmas presents for about a dozen celebrities that I do not know having and another half dozen friends off of Facebook that I have never met irl. I am not into celebrity culture. These I just ended up donating to the Salvation Army since I came too from the mania before I could send them out. Shipping was also cost prohibitive. I filled a whole storage unit full of junk I got for free thinking that homeless people could use it when they got their housing. It was part of my plan to “save the world.” I am still paying $165/month for the unit because I haven’t hired anyone to clean it out yet which is probably going to cost around $1,000.00. I have spammed exes with three to five email messages a day until they had to threaten to press charges for harassment to get me to stop maniacally contacting them. Once I came out of the mania I realized how inappropriate it was and how I didn’t really even want to be contacting them (!!!) So my manias have been great big giant catastrophes. They have been AWFUL. I am considered a severe case by doctors. Few things are more dangerous to me in my life than mania. I used to not believe that I had Bipolar but it took this last mania to convince me. Now I try to stay away from mania as much as possible. By eating right, sleeping right, getting exercise and TAKING MY MEDS. It’s no small thing for me.
YES! I can so relate to this lol. I used to garbage pick stuff from the side of the road like busted up furniture because I was going to fix it and start a furniture business lol. My worst manic (and depressive I suppose) behavior when I’m untreated is doing drugs. For real drugs like heroin and crystal meth. Sometimes together... it’s amazing I’m not dead.

Ruma55

Ruma55

Just wondering, it seems thats you’re so aware that you’re manic and what you’re doing so do you try to have control over the impulsive decisions that you’re making or are you just going with it because you’re really thinking something great will come from it? Just asking because most people don’t seem to be aware when they’re manic but you seem to so you could try to have that self control if you wanted?
I haven’t had “feel good” or creative manic episodes in a long time. I think my episodes are all mixed and unfortunately just get the racing thoughts, insomnia, irritable, anxious etc. Just came out of one and feeling a bit more relaxed now but I think I’m going on meds again soon and it really ruins my life when I feel that way.
I’m never aware of it at first but other people will notice my strange suddenly super motivated or odd behavior. When I’m doing all this stuff I’m like “why didn’t I think of this before this is an amazing idea!?!”. I also used to paint big murals on everything (I’m attaching a picture of my boyfriends refrigerator because this is what I’m talking about) and think it was amazing. Most of my self awareness kicks in after 3 or 4 days with no sleep, then it occurs to me that I may be having an episode. In regards to the fridge- my boyfriend came home and saw it and almost kicked me out of the house lol. I still kinda think it looks cool...F1064193-1ACA-499F-8A9D-0C99232535BC.jpeg

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’m never aware of it at first but other people will notice my strange suddenly super motivated or odd behavior. When I’m doing all this stuff I’m like “why didn’t I think of this before this is an amazing idea!?!”. I also used to paint big murals on everything (I’m attaching a picture of my boyfriends refrigerator because this is what I’m talking about) and think it was amazing. Most of my self awareness kicks in after 3 or 4 days with no sleep, then it occurs to me that I may be having an episode. In regards to the fridge- my boyfriend came home and saw it and almost kicked me out of the house lol. I still kinda think it looks cool...View attachment 40430

very cool mural!

F

Failing Heart

Interesting question. I wish I knew what to do when I realize I’m manic:( I feel like I never get real, useful advice. I have been in an unstable mood for months and I’m miserable. I’m super mean and really sad and exhausted...I have had my medication appt pushed back for weeks and then I hung up on the receptionist (so embarrassing)...so now I prob need to find someone else to manage my meds (nightmare). I wish I could just stop doing what I know is happening, I have no way to cope and my dog is my only comfort.

S

SukuLaku

Going out for a bike trip in the middle of the night. Walking back and forth my apartment head full of ideas. Sleeping for 4-6 hours (usually i sleep 8-10). Laughing for no apparent reason. Sometimes when i'm manic, I get anxiety attacks.

B

Babymama2

Well I flit from one idea or more of a ‘life change ‘ to the next .One min in moving to the next county and packed my bags the next morning it’s forgotten about .Or I’ll apply for a course to do something random like criminology ,next morning it’s like it never happened.I buy random shit ,like can’t stop spending and get myself into stupid situations .When I’m not in a relationship it’s the worst ,I go on loads of dates ,have random sex ,I basically just do whatever I can for a thrill

C

Chicago Jim

I’m never aware of it at first but other people will notice my strange suddenly super motivated or odd behavior. When I’m doing all this stuff I’m like “why didn’t I think of this before this is an amazing idea!?!”. I also used to paint big murals on everything (I’m attaching a picture of my boyfriends refrigerator because this is what I’m talking about) and think it was amazing. Most of my self awareness kicks in after 3 or 4 days with no sleep, then it occurs to me that I may be having an episode. In regards to the fridge- my boyfriend came home and saw it and almost kicked me out of the house lol. I still kinda think it looks cool...View attachment 40430
I painted my 1969 Camaro, in my garage, with spray paint. You’re fridge turned out much better.

Ruma55

Ruma55

I painted my 1969 Camaro, in my garage, with spray paint. You’re fridge turned out much better.
Oh no haha! What a beautiful car to f*** up! I painted my bedroom to ‘redecorate’ once while my husband was out of town and spilled a whole can of yellow paint all over the hardwood floors. He threw the tv out the window when he saw it he was so angry lol.