• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What does your manic episodes look like?

M

MariahGirl

Hello! I’m bipolar and just wondering what your manic episodes look like. Not just the typical symptoms but could you give me an example of a manic episode in a situation that maybe was embarrassing, got you into trouble or ended you up in the hospital?

HLon99

HLon99

Probably the worst thing I ever did whilst Manic was take my parents car out for a drive (me having no driving licence) and crashing it into a scaffolders van. Then getting into an argument with the scaffolder which ended in the police being called.

D

duvetday

I understand I have fairly mild periods of mania...Things I have done when manic:

-believed I could be the first female doctor who (foreshadowed Jodie!)and spoke with friends about arranging a crowd funding campaign to persuade Stephen Moffat to see me for an audition

-hit on my friend's married boss at a party, sleeping with random people, arranging a threesome via an app with people I had never met, hitting on friend's partners, kissing a friend whilst their boyfriend was dancing meters away....lots of putting myself in semi-dangerous/embarrassing situations

-getting into sticky conflicts with people when I am very confident with my views and not being aware of their defences being triggered about what I am saying/doing. I think I am being really clear but I have pissed off a lot of people and that sometimes has led to trauma when people then avoided me or fired me.

crimsonandclover

crimsonandclover

I've often felt that mania leads to my thoughts racing which in turn almost speeds up time. Hours can feel like minutes and weeks can pass like days. This is made worse by sleeplessness and my inevitable drug and alcohol use in these times. I have felt that whatever I'm doing at one particular time will be the most important thing in the entire world and must be pursued to insane heights disregarding anyone or anything, which inevitably hurts people around you.

One time whilst manic I had drank myself silly by 2pm and went to meet my friends. I arrived concussed and with my face bleeding as I'd injured myself on the way and had knocked all sense out of my brain. Things like that can be hard to grapple with when you wake up the next morning, still manic, in agony, almost deliriously confused. I've mostly forgotten what happened to me.

Most of all the sheer intensity of thought and feeling (though sounding enticing) can be the worst part of mania for me. This of course leads to intensity in my behaviour and actions but is met with only more confusion and delirium.
Over and over.