• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What does your manic episodes look like?

M

MariahGirl

Hello! I’m bipolar and just wondering what your manic episodes look like. Not just the typical symptoms but could you give me an example of a manic episode in a situation that maybe was embarrassing, got you into trouble or ended you up in the hospital?

HLon99

HLon99

Probably the worst thing I ever did whilst Manic was take my parents car out for a drive (me having no driving licence) and crashing it into a scaffolders van. Then getting into an argument with the scaffolder which ended in the police being called.

D

duvetday

I understand I have fairly mild periods of mania...Things I have done when manic:

-believed I could be the first female doctor who (foreshadowed Jodie!)and spoke with friends about arranging a crowd funding campaign to persuade Stephen Moffat to see me for an audition

-hit on my friend's married boss at a party, sleeping with random people, arranging a threesome via an app with people I had never met, hitting on friend's partners, kissing a friend whilst their boyfriend was dancing meters away....lots of putting myself in semi-dangerous/embarrassing situations

-getting into sticky conflicts with people when I am very confident with my views and not being aware of their defences being triggered about what I am saying/doing. I think I am being really clear but I have pissed off a lot of people and that sometimes has led to trauma when people then avoided me or fired me.

crimsonandclover

crimsonandclover

I've often felt that mania leads to my thoughts racing which in turn almost speeds up time. Hours can feel like minutes and weeks can pass like days. This is made worse by sleeplessness and my inevitable drug and alcohol use in these times. I have felt that whatever I'm doing at one particular time will be the most important thing in the entire world and must be pursued to insane heights disregarding anyone or anything, which inevitably hurts people around you.

One time whilst manic I had drank myself silly by 2pm and went to meet my friends. I arrived concussed and with my face bleeding as I'd injured myself on the way and had knocked all sense out of my brain. Things like that can be hard to grapple with when you wake up the next morning, still manic, in agony, almost deliriously confused. I've mostly forgotten what happened to me.

Most of all the sheer intensity of thought and feeling (though sounding enticing) can be the worst part of mania for me. This of course leads to intensity in my behaviour and actions but is met with only more confusion and delirium.
Over and over.

G

Gleddy Woody

Embarrassing symptoms? Yes, me yelling incoherently while losing my mind. The words in my head broke into syllables and the syllables repeated themselves like a DA DA DA DA DA DA DA and I was screaming DA DA DA DA DA DA DA not because it meant anything and not because I was in any kind of terror just because it totally took me over and I couldn't not do it.

C

ChristinaCulver

I usually will talk to my self and answer myself because my mother is a bitch and thinks people should just forget about the past. Not so easy when you have a ptsd situation that everyone has ignored for years. Feel like I just had one writing this.

R

rawlinsc

I spend too much money when manic. I also get racing thoughts while trying to fall asleep when manic. Sometimes the racing thoughts are so bad I don't fall asleep until 7am!

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Throwing my guitar across the room. Idk I just starting throwing stuff after I broke a string. The guitar ended in dumpster and me inpatient. Maybe I’ll get a guitar this Christmas.

F

Failing Heart

I understand I have fairly mild periods of mania...Things I have done when manic:

-believed I could be the first female doctor who (foreshadowed Jodie!)and spoke with friends about arranging a crowd funding campaign to persuade Stephen Moffat to see me for an audition

-hit on my friend's married boss at a party, sleeping with random people, arranging a threesome via an app with people I had never met, hitting on friend's partners, kissing a friend whilst their boyfriend was dancing meters away....lots of putting myself in semi-dangerous/embarrassing situations

-getting into sticky conflicts with people when I am very confident with my views and not being aware of their defences being triggered about what I am saying/doing. I think I am being really clear but I have pissed off a lot of people and that sometimes has led to trauma when people then avoided me or fired me.
I only lol because many of these would be the types of things I would do!

F

Failing Heart

I usually will talk to my self and answer myself because my mother is a bitch and thinks people should just forget about the past. Not so easy when you have a ptsd situation that everyone has ignored for years. Feel like I just had one writing this.
I can relate to the anger I “hear”.... for some it’s not so easy to “just let it go”

F

Failing Heart

I spend too much money when manic. I also get racing thoughts while trying to fall asleep when manic. Sometimes the racing thoughts are so bad I don't fall asleep until 7am!
You are my manic twin! Tell me for paint for 16 hours straight without stopping to eat or pee or sleep and then we are REALLY alike

F

Failing Heart

Hmmm, there are so many but the most recent thing that comes to mind is obsessively reading a forum for hour upon hours and commenting on every single post I read.

M

Marianda

Probably the worst thing I ever did whilst Manic was take my parents car out for a drive (me having no driving licence) and crashing it into a scaffolders van. Then getting into an argument with the scaffolder which ended in the police being called.
LOL very funny story. I dont have have mania but I too took my parents car and went for a drive while barely knowing how to drive and of course without having a license. I went for a drive in the busiest street of my city at rush hour and wearing my school uniform. 🤯🤯.

When I returned home I could not park the car so my sister helped me to manually "push" the car to park it the best I could.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Same here. I also try to start new hobby projects all the time but never finish. I get very social and talk alot, but I get easily bored. I'm unable to focus on anything and try to do everything at once leading me to never being able to finish anything. The only time it's positive is when I'm at work when I manage to channel my energy into that.

G

Garnia

For me, it’s just the way I talk to people during a manic episode that’s pretty embarrassing. Like my mind racing and switching subjects every 10 seconds. At times I’ll even stutter because my mind is moving faster than I can talk. I can’t sleep, sometimes for a couple of days. At times I’ll be so insanely happy like I’ve won the lottery or something but for literally no reason. It can be a great feeling, but it definitely doesn’t feel “normal”.