• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What does it take for doctors to take my self harm seriously?

J

Jamalam420

I have told my gp that I am self harming every day and am addicted to it and can’t stop, I’ve had self harm counselling twice which didn’t help me, I had an appointment with the primary care liaison team and told them about my self harming and asked to be transferred to the CMHT and they sent me back to my GP. I've come to believe I need to be in a psych facility so I am here now considering making an attempt on my life. I don’t want people to think I’m manipulating the system as I’ve jumped through hoops for years now and I just am desperate

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think the MH services don't see self harm as serious. What triggers it off? I used to self harm and have the scars now which are embarrassing for me. I had to see 6 doctors before one took me seriously with the depression underlying my condition before one realised that I was seriously ill. I think you need to go back again and again to get help. If they don't see you then they assume you are OK! Suicide attempts don't always get their attention either! Please don't go down that route you might just harm yourself permanently which will leave you worse off.

J

Jamalam420

I have BPD so I struggle regulating my emotions and self harm seems to be the only way I can calm myself down sometimes. I just feel totally defeated by the MH system I don’t understand why it has to be such a battle just to get access to services that we are entitled to. At this point I don’t mind if I have to be sectioned I just want someone to take me seriously and help me, I have another urgent referral to the primary care team so I am hoping they help me. I’m not too hopeful as the last person I saw there hadn’t heard of BPD so I don’t understand how they were in a position to tell me what my best care options are

P

Prycejosh1987

I have told my gp that I am self harming every day and am addicted to it and can’t stop, I’ve had self harm counselling twice which didn’t help me, I had an appointment with the primary care liaison team and told them about my self harming and asked to be transferred to the CMHT and they sent me back to my GP. I've come to believe I need to be in a psych facility so I am here now considering making an attempt on my life. I don’t want people to think I’m manipulating the system as I’ve jumped through hoops for years now and I just am desperate
You need to also see a therapist/counsellor. They can guide you and help you through your issues. Good luck.

J

Jamalam420

I have been to self harm counselling twice and am on the waiting list for DBT