what does it feel like to dissociate?

• Thread starter LittleMissNameless
  • Start date
Skynet

Skynet

Are you referring to Dissociative Identity Disorder? I've heard it's a very rare condition, so not many people on here may have it.

Not_here

Not_here

You become someone else. Its you, but another you, depending on how it was triggered. They appear and take over brain function until i am "safe" .. and then i remember what they did. Usually involves alot of sweating and mis-management of the rest of the body.. legs n arms dont work properly, writing and rational thought is gone..

Unless i don't have DID and im experiencing something else..

Brb i need to have an argument with myself.

L

LittleMissNameless

Im not talking about DID I mean either regular dissociation everyone can expirience or dissociation as a stress coping skill.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Shirley all dissociation is a disorder?

A brain in working order would know how to cope? Or would cope in a health manner?
Every person on the planet dissociates to some degree.It only becomes a disorder when it impacts your life in a negative way.

There are different dissociative disorders though,and DID is not the only one.

V

Veeidk

When it comes to dissociating it can happen in many levels, I've been experiencing dissociation for a few months now so here's what i know from experience and research.

When you are dissociating, you feel no kind of connecting with the outside world, as if nothing seems to be 100% real or as vivid as it once did. You feel this kind of numbness both emotionally and physically. You are not sure if you just raised your arm or if that person really talked to you. In my case, i feel tired when this happens and i feel this almost literal fog in my eyes.
There is also this big tendency to not remember most of the day and some memories, especially if related to a period of dissociation, don't seem to be real, nor to have happend at all. In these situations, you really cannot get your mind around those moments, and trying will much likely cause you a great deal of stress.
You get stuck in this little glass box, where you loss the concept of time and space and you feel like you have been there for an eternity and like you are going to be stuck there forever. There is this sense of hopelessness, thinking life is a simulation and if you just now realized it, thinking that maybe you are dead or on some kind of drug.

I once read that dissociation "is an umbrella covering both depersonalization and derealization."
With depersonalization, although very similar to dissociation, you feel like a spectator in your own body, like you are sitting in the back of your head, watching everything, your voice doesn't sound like you, you have trouble recognizing yourself in a mirror and nothing that your body does seems to be done by you. It's also possibly to feel like you are out of you body, looking down at yourself, like you are a character in a movie.
When you suffer from a derealization episode, you feel pretty much the same you do with dissociations but believe that you are dreaming and can't wake up. I mostly suffered from derealization.
Of course this all comes with different intensities.

It's extremly hard for someone who hasn't experience it to understand completly but i hope this helped

Not_here

Not_here

sitting in the back of your head, watching everything, your voice doesn't sound like you, you have trouble recognizing yourself in a mirror and nothing that your body does seems to be done by you. It's also possibly to feel like you are out of you body, looking down at yourself, like you are a character in a movie.
100% agree.

Sometimes i look in the mirror and ask its name and where did it come from. It just stares at me, smiling... very creepy feeling...

V

vent101

My experience is like someone might be talking to you about something that can trigger a memory that's traumatic and you can really hear them or take in the information you like blur out... your brain doesn't want to relive/rexperience the memory so it protects you.

One day a friend of mine really hurt me emotionally after a while of seeing her when I sat near here I spaced out I was 'umming and arrrring' she had hurt me that much that I couldn't even take in her presence...

I think it can be accompanied by a thing called 'splitting' where you can separate people into good and bad constantly because again, you're brain is trying to protect you and in doing so your best friend could be an enemie one minute and your bestie the next minute

Not sure if my information is a hundred percent correct, but this is what my therapist told me unless ...when she was telling me maybe I disassociated

I wish I knew this information anyways, because It was like finding pandoras key and I could understand myself more... but with the help of these forums perhaps information can be exchanged...

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I think what dissociation feels like depends on the type a person is experiencing and also whether it's a dissociative disorder or just normal dissociation

megirl

megirl

I know I experienced dissociation when I had my car accident all the things I thought that happened how I pictured what was happening never happened. I saw myself curled up in a corner and felt safe. There was no way that occurred I was in my car seatbelt on with the car on its roof.