• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

what does having Agoraphobia feel like?

Ras

Ras

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My mother has it and it seemed to have just come out of nowhere one day. Ever since that day she never leaves her house, sleeps most of the time and takes a lot of meds, i thought i took a lot but she is on a whole other level.
She has always been a fantastic mother even with everything going on but she never talks about it and well i suppose i have never really asked. So i am curious what it feels like having it.

She has said a lot that i seem to have a bit in common with her in that aspect but from the very little i know about Agoraphobia it is like panic attacks and anxiety (two other things i have no idea what it feels like). She says that though because i am pretty introvert and like being alone a lot and wont go out of my house if i can help it. Its not for any other reason except i find people to be intolerable..

Anyway enough about me, i am very curious to hear how it feels and would appreciate any insight to this at all.
thank you

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I don't know what it feels like but have heard of exposure therapy. From what little i know, a person avoids something that causes anxiety, the more they avoid it the better they feel, and then they become out of practice and going out or driving or whatever the original problem is, feels impossible to do ever again. Exposure therapy is about very small steps and building confidence.

Zero One

Zero One

I have it, but I'm a brave soul lol. I can give you an example. Someone wanted to take her children and bring along my son to a trampoline park. My son has autism, I am fat, and I know I have to stay near to him fat or not. I kept worrying about falling and panicking about the event for all of the weeks to come. When we went my son was acting as if he was thirsty then poured water in the front of the place when I bought it for him. The manager was very understanding, told me he also had a child with special needs and bought me another bottle of water. This was like an agoraphobic's nightmare come true but I managed it and was able to stay calm. Then my son started going on the trampolines without me and I was panicking like hell that I would have to step away for a moment even though the other mom was there. I went and bought adult sized socks and approached the trampolines scared to piss 🤣 my son pulled me on and I tried to keep walking on the stable parts which were a bit shaky until finally I had to go on the trampoline to keep up with my son. I was surprised at how well it held my weight and I felt like I was going to fall once but didn't fall. I was running around on those trampolines for over an hour--it was good exercise and I was happy that I was able to overcome my fears and do things.

K

KittyMay

It feels like unless you are in your home you are in danger. For me in particular, I feel a deep sense of anxiety when I’m out of my home and it gets worse the further away from it I get. I am painfully aware of everything around me so I get very overwhelmed by visual and auditory things. I get dizzy, vertigo and sweaty and just feel like I can’t cope. Something that I found helped when I was in a place to push myself was aiming to merely go into a shop or supermarket - even if I immediately walked back out and went home. Then I would keep doing that until I could stay a bit longer. I found that focusing on one thing like smelling a candle and only thinking about that helped too. It’s always hard and a struggle.

D

Distant_Alien

So imagine there’s a safe place, your home. Here you feel normal, just like you remember being. But the further you get away from this place you get a feeling of dread. Almost like your an astronaut tethered to the ship. The further you drift away the more likely (you imagine) it is that something horrible will happen and you’ll be too far from your safe place. If you’ve never felt real anxiety before it’s hard to explain but if you have. It’s like that feeling but it can get higher or lower depending on your distance away from home. This is what agoraphobia looks like in its purest form.