What does 'good mental health', mean to you?

amathus

amathus

The World Health Organisation says:

'Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.'

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide

'Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.'
If everyone met that criteria, it would be an ideal world.

In reality, there are people with mental health problems who don't work, and there are many people who work and don't cope.

mami5

mami5

I definitely don't have 'good mental health' then! Thanks for pointing it out to me. Psychologist was right today, I am mad.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

can cope with the normal stresses of life
So, what are the 'normal' stresses of life? Do the 'normal' stresses of life include presenting a physical image to the world that others find acceptable and if you can't, you have to accept you are therefore inferior and shut up and isolate yourself from the world? Do 'normal' stresses include knowing if you can't work or try but can't find paid work you are looked upon as a parasite and should just, ideally, go away and die? Oh no, for sure, WHO think that you should just be able to deal with all the cultural crap that is floating around in the political and social sphere and learn to be humble and quiet and continue being a productive unit. Bollocks to that.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I definitely don't have 'good mental health' then! Thanks for pointing it out to me. Psychologist was right today, I am mad.
you say that like its a Bad Thing Mami :p

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

So, what are the 'normal' stresses of life? Do the 'normal' stresses of life include presenting a physical image to the world that others find acceptable and if you can't, you have to accept you are therefore inferior and shut up and isolate yourself from the world? Do 'normal' stresses include knowing if you can't work or try but can't find paid work you are looked upon as a parasite and should just, ideally, go away and die? Oh no, for sure, WHO think that you should just be able to deal with all the cultural crap that is floating around in the political and social sphere and learn to be humble and quiet and continue being a productive unit. Bollocks to that.
Jam,

there is an entire billion dollar industry built on MH; don't forget how many folks would be unemployed if we didn't exist :)

There are people who's entire lifes passion is tinkering in other peoples heads. We serve that purpose too. :D

We contribute to the World, all right. Mental Health is becoming more and more important, and as sufferers and survivors we are the ones who will drive change. Im already being groomed to lecture at a Complex Needs Clinic, to the next tier of Social Workers. (y)

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I began a DBT group the other day and was shocked to find I was pretty much the sickest there. Everyone else had family, friends, jobs, study, hobbies.

I have none of these.

Kerome

Kerome

Hmm well, a few things to say about this...

'Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential,
That is a tall order. Many sane, capable people do not come close to realising their potential, or live in a permanent state of well being.

can cope with the normal stresses of life,
This is quite a stretchable definition. I can go for a daily shop with no problems, I can even do quarterly vat returns, so I suppose I am alright? But working a high stress job is out of reach, I have been there, and that is normal for many people.

can work productively and fruitfully,
Again quite a soft definition. But I think there are horses for courses, many people with mental health issues can find work that suits them. Just because I haven't is more that I haven't yet tried than any other reason.

and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.'
Fair enough. I know some people with various conditions who still contribute as artists and volunteers to the community.

I think on the whole it is not a bad definition, even if it speaks of work and contributions without referencing happiness, stability or family.