• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What do you think is "normal" in children?

8tok

8tok

Hello everyone! I am a bit curious regarding a matter concerning depression in children to try to understand my experiences in my own life.

i have been having a hard time finding many Opinions to this, so why not ask directly where people have experience?

i myself have dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts since 8 years old- possibly earlier, though my memory only goes so far. it has been a struggle to understand the severity of my depression due to how Long i've experienced these thoughts, so I have become a bit Numb. i am not entirely able to grasp how "bad" something like this would be for the age i was back then.

i will not go into too many details- but these thoughts involved ways to actually carry it out for me.

So, what do you believe to be the threshold of "normal" depression in children? Low mood, fatigue, appetite changes, difficulty concentrating? Is something like the feeling of wishing to not exist, or even having fantasies about ending things, cause for an even greater concern? Cause for fear for the child?

these things can Sometimes be thought of as "common" in adults with depression, even if they are more severe Symptoms, so they do not always get the same reaction of worry for the person's health and safety.

i am not asking for a professional opinion, allow me to make that clear as well! i am looking for different opinions from people who have experienced depression, and their thoughts on it

i suppose i am asking, in an effort to better understand myself from those days?

L

Lizaje

I use to wonder something similar and it may be entirely unhelpful, but to be honest, I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter. We can't go back in time and arriving to some diagnosis doesn't give anything back. I've been depressed for most of the years I remember, but the treatment team said my medical records say I was a happy child. (if possible for you, you can check your medical records from your childhood if you want to.)

Anyway, children are all different. I would think reading from some official sources about depression and anxiety in children would be most helpful.

For me, talking about my childhood with professionals has helped and will probably continue to help, not because it solves anything, but because it helps me recover from bad experiences and to cope with them.

L

lyesander

Not sure if it was depression, but I did have to go to counseling as a child (2nd or 3rd grade if my timeline's correct) due to anxiety based behavioral issues. It mostly expressed itself via anger and difficulty concentrating, which are both symptoms I now experience as an adult who struggles with depressive episodes.

D

Deleted member 91323

I think you ask a very interesting question. It is something I have often wondered myself. I remember when I was 5 feeling so desperately unhappy and wanting to die. I used to say things like ' I want to go to hell'. It was my way of expressing I wanted to die. It was ignored and deemed attention seeking. I would do things like wear a tight elastic band on my wrist because a teacher said it was dangerous and could cause a person to die.

I am so sorry you felt so depressed as a child. I feel children should be happy. They are innocent and need protecting.

P

Purpleplum

Children shouldn't be depressed...period. They definitely should never think of suicide or not wanting to exist. There is no normal cutoff for this. It is never something a child should be experiencing and it means something is seriously wrong and they need help as soon as possible.

W

WutheringHeights

I can share my experience, as I child I often had thoughts about dying, for example I would ask myself what would happen if I did serious harm to myself . Not sure if I would have actually done it though. Maybe it was just out of curiosity, a therapist said to me that these are common thoughts in children at that age (5-10), I never heard of that before.

On the other hand, I was definitely not a happy child and maybe there were some underlying issues to these fantasies.