What do you take for sleep?/Zyprexa vs Trazodone

A

arwilliams

So I have been taking Zyprexa/Olanzapine for almost 3 years and gained almost 40 pounds. I'm concerned I am at risk for diabetes.

I have tried other antipsychotics but I can't seem to sleep with out olanzapine.

I have proposed to the doctor that I should take trazodone and something like abilify(along with lithium) instead of taking just zyprexa.

Does anyone know how trazodone and zyprexa compare for sleep?
Alternative what do you take for sleep? I meet with a nurse practitioner regularly and I think he is reluctant to prescribe something else for sleep so he has kept me on Zyprexa for a long time.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I take nothing, they wont give me anything, so I just get up.

:shrug:

A

arwilliams

How many hours of sleep do you get per night? I can't sleep with out some type of medication.

C

Coast2

I'm on Risperidone and my sleep is much better than it was prior to taking them. However I still only get around 5 hrs sleep a night.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

How many hours of sleep do you get per night? I can't sleep with out some type of medication.
I sleep in clumps of 1, 2, or 3 hours.

last night for example - fell asleep about 8 awake again at 10, then again at midnight, then at 1, then at 2.30 then again at 3.30 when I finally gave in and got up.

I'm in a lot of pain (arthritis) and it wakes me up, also apparently menopause so the hot flushes wake me also.

Kerome

Kerome

I sleep with no medication other than my antipsychotic orap, and I usually go to bed around 22.00, asleep 22.30, awake again 01.30, asleep again 01.45, awake again 02.30, up for a cup of anise milk, asleep again 03.30, awake 07.00. So total... 3+1+3.5=7.5 hrs asleep, that's not bad. And then often I have a mid morning snooze from 08.00 to 10.00 for a 2 hr extra nap time.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Olanzapine does not make me sleepy anymore. I guess I have built up a resistance to it.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I think I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't actually take MH medication? the only thing I take is the cholesterol stuff.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Don't you take diazepam?
only prn.

I don't need it to fall asleep too early. This I can do effortlessly. Staying asleep is a whole other kettle of fish, and valium may as well be candy when I have insomnia.

The insomnia is PAIN related, and valium does SFA for pain.

Last edited:
I

Izera

I can't sleep without my antipsychotic. I can't.

However there was one time when my husband was staying overnight in a different city for work, about an hour and a half away, and he asked me to join him for dinner. Then he asked me to stay the night once I got there.

So I didn't sleep at all and I was one horribly miserable person when I got home the next morning. I refilled the trazodone that I had kinda been putting off refilling for 3 months. Took the prescribed dosage, slept 6 hours and woke up feeling great.

Other experiences with missing medicine have shown that I will stay up for days without my antipsychotic. So that dose of trazodone (I don't remember if it was 100mg or 200mg) overpowered the lack of the antipsychotic and was directly responsible for me sleeping all those hours.

A

arwilliams

What anti psychotic do you take? Some I believe like Seroquel and Olanzapine cause sleepiness.

Others don't. I think olanzapine sedates me to much. It would be great if all I would need is a different antipsychotic but I doubt it.

I

Izera

At the time I was taking Geodon. I'm on Seroquel now. Seroquel knocks me cold, so I take the full dose at night. If I have to be, I can get up 7 hours later. Not before that though.

A

arwilliams

Wow that is impressive Seroquel is a really hard drug I have heard.
Geodon also.

Have you tried olanzapine I wonder how they compare? I tend to sleep 11-12 hours which seems obsessive.
Also this may not be an inappropriate question but how do you provide income for yourself in a scenario like that?

More specifically I sleep to almost noon(12 hours) everyday which makes functioning in life miserable.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I take trazodone, vistaril, and lamictil at night and they seem to help with sleep. I do wake up around 4am and have to take a second trazodone. When oi was on seroquel I slept LOTS. I once slept for about 27 hours on seroquel only waking for meds and to use the bathroom.

I

Izera

Wow that is impressive Seroquel is a really hard drug I have heard.
Geodon also.

Have you tried olanzapine I wonder how they compare? I tend to sleep 11-12 hours which seems obsessive.
Also this may not be an inappropriate question but how do you provide income for yourself in a scenario like that?

More specifically I sleep to almost noon(12 hours) everyday which makes functioning in life miserable.
I only tried Zyprexa as an augment to Seroquel when my new doctor was getting me back on everything this summer. I was on 10mg, and when we reviewed a couple months later, I wasn't sure it was actually doing anything so he took me off. Neither amount of sleep nor control over delusions altered in any way so it clearly wasn't doing anything.

I was on Risperdal last year and it just wasn't working well. I maxed out the dose (for people with bipolar disorder, which is a lower ceiling than schizophrenia) and still had delusions. It also made me sleep.

As far as income with that amount of sleep, it'd be hard but doable. In the US, you could probably get away with flex time as a reasonable accommodation for a lot of businesses and spread your full-time hours over 6 days, which would shorten your workday by almost 1½ hours (just over 6½ hours a day). With some companies you may even be able to work from home, which will knock out the commute time and you don't have to dress up so shower and prep would be quicker.

If you don't have the right skills for those jobs, you could look at two part-time jobs and try to maintain 5-6 hours a day 6 days a week for your total between the two. Those would be lower base pay though, so you'd probably have to have roommates to lower living costs.

With your current sleep pattern, you could still find jobs. Right now I'm working retail and they normally schedule me for the closing shift, so I go to bed at 12-1am and get up around 9:30-10am, piddle around until 4ish and then go back to work. I hear that bartenders also work hours that would coincide with your sleep schedule. If you can handle the stress, 911 operators (or whatever is the equivalent in other countries) need a night crew. [Hmmm, maybe I should look into that myself.]

A

ArtEcho

I take 50 mg of Quetiapine for bipolar disorder. It can make you extremely drowsy and can also have a huge effect on your appetite:popcorn:

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I take trazodone, vistaril, and lamictil at night and they seem to help with sleep. I do wake up around 4am and have to take a second trazodone. When oi was on seroquel I slept LOTS. I once slept for about 27 hours on seroquel only waking for meds and to use the bathroom.
ive just been given tramadol NCY for my arthritis.bursitis combo and it doesn't work. :(

so now they've given me endone and I'm too scared to get the script done.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

ive just been given tramadol NCY for my arthritis.bursitis combo and it doesn't work. :(

so now they've given me endone and I'm too scared to get the script done.
I had tramadol after my gall bladder surgery. It got me kinda high. I liked it. It made it hard to drive as I felt drunk on it. You must be in a lot of pain if it doesn't work. Might as well fill your endone. Maybe it will help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Bipolar Forum 1
L Bipolar Forum 6
H Bipolar Forum 1
P Bipolar Forum 3
P Bipolar Forum 3