• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What do you look for when looking for a psychiatrist.

J

jsmacks

Just wondering what are people's experiences with this. Things to look out for? I'm in the United States btw.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Somebody who will listen without being judgmental is always a good sign. It's a job to them, but if they can still empathize to some extent that's needed. And I don't care for Psychiatrists who push medication too hard, especially in the beginning. It has it's role, but therapy is far more important in my view.

O

oncebitten

I say that you want someone who will listen that you feel comfortable with. You have to be able to talk about anything with them and not feel judged. It is also what your needs are... Do you need someone who will sit and listen or do you need someone who will push you to be honest with yourself. I have personally had both and both have helped me in different ways. Decide what you think your wants and needs are and search for that!

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

That's a good question you pose. I live in a small town, so there weren't too many choices. But luckily, I'm very satisfied with the psychiatrist that I did choose. I looked at the review ratings of the psychiatrists near me, and I chose the one who had very good reviews and good reviews of the office staff. Of course, when you read the reviews, a lot of people will write very glowing remarks about the pdoc, but then there's always those one or two people who will write that he's the worst pdoc ever!