• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What do you feel needs to happen to help?

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Seems like a common part of social anxiety
Seems like social anxiety hits in the early teens unless you have the condition. Then you might have it younger. Then it’s just everyday life.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, I was a shy child, even my earliest memory, first day of school, is of crying in the classroom. Then the teenage years, certainly high school, had some phobia around people, seems like mainly in school though I'm sure it was learned at home. I wouldn't ever eat lunch in the cafeteria, too many people, would've had to be social.

Don't recall having any label on this behavior back then. But it has remained throughout the years. I've noticed it in others at times too. It's not an obvious thing. People don't know about it most of the time. It's like you develop little strategies of avoidance. You'd have to be aware and attentive to see it in others. Not sure many young people have such awareness, but being older now I can look back and see it was there not only for me. But at the time your constant self-consciousness makes you too focused on yourself. Maybe others noticed more than I'm guessing.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Yeah, I was a shy child, even my earliest memory, first day of school, is of crying in the classroom. Then the teenage years, certainly high school, had some phobia around people, seems like mainly in school though I'm sure it was learned at home. I wouldn't ever eat lunch in the cafeteria, too many people, would've had to be social.

Don't recall having any label on this behavior back then. But it has remained throughout the years. I've noticed it in others at times too. It's not an obvious thing. People don't know about it most of the time. It's like you develop little strategies of avoidance. You'd have to be aware and attentive to see it in others. Not sure many young people have such awareness, but being older now I can look back and see it was there not only for me. But at the time your constant self-consciousness makes you too focused on yourself. Maybe others noticed more than I'm guessing.
I was bullied too due to the fact that I was outgoing. I did play a lot of sports which in times of shyness helped me. Everyone goes through some shy times but in reality I was a very busy girl. But the reason of bullying was because I was intolerably too cute. I was very skinny with green braces and short hair. Kinda nerdy sports player type. Into punk rock and twirling my hair while chewing on a pen. When I was inpatient I never had a problem with anyone. Just kinda floated on by. But there was this one fight. But it wasn’t my fault. All the girls were going through a tough time. I’m happy that I still had my social skills after ten years of unemployment (which I’m still saddened and in shock about) and mental illness. Which I just define as my buddy now, since I am feeling over all wellness in my recovery.

jajingna

jajingna

Sounds unusual to be bullied for being outgoing or cute. I guess bullies can find a reason for their actions. "That guy is too helpful, let's get him!"

I was active with friends from my neighborhood. They went to the other school with that silly religious separation stuff we had back then. I played sports, was one of the better students, helped classmates sometimes with math. There was nothing outwardly unattractive about me. Was never fat or ugly. Nah, it was all because of the chaos at home.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I understand. I’ve always had friends until my late twenties. Then I found my self gravitating towards family. I’ve always been close with my family. Parties ect...