• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What do you do when your worst fear WILL happen?

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I realised I am pretty much constantly terrified that my parents will die. And also that my cat will die.

The problem is I know these things will happen at some point...so I am just...paralysed with constant fear, especially as the years go by.

SoftRain

SoftRain

try my hardest not to think about it. I also have frequent fears of people I love dying. I just push it back down, there is nothing that can be done about it. We all die, but the thoughts can freak me out.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I live in constant fear, and have to a lesser extent since I was very young.

A

Anxietyhell

I think most of us have similar fears.. I dreaded the thought of losing my dog, but when the time came I manged to somehow summon of what I needed to to let her go, and not let her suffer... I think we are stronger than we think, and we can worry ourselves silly about so many things. I seriously have issues and fears that at times overwhelm me, it doesn't get easier with age... We just have to try to live in the now, and grasp the good days when we don't feel so rubbish

L

Laudanum

Maybe the key is to live in the present and take one day at a time and not to dwell on things that might happen (easier said than done).

I also have a problem with living with uncertainty.

Joe57

Joe57

what to do? First take some deep breaths, and try to relax

next is to consider changing the way you think about things.

I used to have similar concerns. So I changed the way I thought about life. It took a while, but I tried to make a game of it, like solving a puzzle or rubiks cube, and have some fun with it. So now, I dont have any fears about those issues.

I suggest reading religious texts, philosophy books, self help books, until you find words that resonate, and are helpful. Also there are a wide variety of people, clergy, light workers etc that can personally answer questions, and help you get to a better place. Maybe find one that is right for you.

S

Striving

Maybe the key is to live in the present and take one day at a time and not to dwell on things that might happen (easier said than done).

I also have a problem with living with uncertainty.
Next to worry, intolerance of uncertainty is a major occurrence with GAD - in a sense the two are related: you worry (usually) in GAD because there are a myriad of bad things that could happen, but many probably won’t, but we can’t tolerate being uncertain about said bad thing- it’s bloody brutal in GaD because I literally find something to worry about no matter what direction my thoughts take

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

As per my original post. That's my constant fear. And my problem is, it's not an irrational fear. It WILL happen and I can't deal with it.