• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What do you do when you get panic attack, please help?

Zero One

Zero One

I just hyperventilate until someone helps to calm me usually by talking at a slower pace about calmer things. This usually happen to me with guys. I had one friend who carried me to the ER and she became sure that they just waited to wait it out.. so she stayed there and waited it out with me. I really appreciated her for that.

F

Fightingmyfears

I have talked myself down from 2 panic attacks tonight!! So pleased with myself!
I started medication almost 2 months ago and I've been doing CBT.
Both times I realised I was overthinking and I could feel I was starting to go down the rabbit hole.
I challenged the thoughts, they just didn't stand up to scrutiny. I was being a fortune teller and once I could see that I refocused myself. The first time I went for a walk to post a letter and the second time I started playing with my daughter.
I've always struggle with getting caught up in my unhelpful thoughts, so giving them the boot twice has proven to me that I can talk myself down.

F

Fightingmyfears

It's a great feeling when you realize you can calm yourself down. Great job!
Usually, I'd spiral into a panic attack and then probably another and another until I just end up closing down and flaking out of everything. I'm recording all the times I make a little win against anxiety, so that I can give myself some recognition and sour myself on to keep going.

S

SunnyDaze

I haven't read this thread yet,just the very first post.

What has helped me more than anything is this book

For about a year and a half straight I was caught up in a panic cycle. I had panic attacks every day and also had panic over the panic attacks. Just the thought of having another one caused more. It was so horrible and exhausting. I tried everything and what helped me was the book. It's an older one but well worth reading,over and over again.

Hugs

N

Nukelavee

Usually, I'd spiral into a panic attack and then probably another and another until I just end up closing down and flaking out of everything. I'm recording all the times I make a little win against anxiety, so that I can give myself some recognition and sour myself on to keep going.
I did that for a bit, too!

for me, being able to realize I could make it stop, usually, made it easier to make attacks shorter.

What I find now, is that I can get a better idea of what the real reason for my anxiety is, which helps me figure out triggers.

Just remember that sooner or later, something big will knock you off balance. Don't get frustrated if you feel like your skills are useless because they don't always work. It just means there are things you can still learn.

I figured that out a few years ago. I was doing really well, and then an important friendship went badly sideways. Months of anxiety, but also anger, in part because my coping skills weren't working. Went to a crisis centre, got some help, learned some new skills and insights.

I guess my point is that from here, it should get gradually easier to handle things.

F

francis2

First off, prevention is the goal and that starts with diet. Avoid ANY caffeine as it will trigger panic. Exercise and eat healthy in general as i've found as soon as i start slacking and eating like crap my panic flares up.

As far as tips to stop an attack, here are some that work for me....

Telling yourself that because we have limited amounts of adreneline, panic attacks can't last that long meaning it will be over soon.

Tell yourself that although this time may feel different you've been through this before and you will get through it safely.

Do eye movements...yes, they really work and in my case stop a panic attack cold sometimes.
Keep your head still and look at something to the left for 2 second, then something way over on the right for 2 seconds....repeat.

Exhale fast...like a big "sigh". Shallow breathing is a hallmark of panic attacks which raise co2 levels..which can cause us to panic.

Last, make sure you don't have acid reflux. It took me 30 years to realize that the choking sensations that would wake me at night weren't all in my head...i was choking due to silent reflux...the congestion it causes in the throat with mucus etc.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I am struggling with depression and BPD, and I have sometimes panic attacks.I know what is the trigger of my panic attacks. I can't always just go away from trigger.

Please guys, PLEASE tell me(someone with experience please) what do you do when you have panic attack?
For me none of medications work, even breathing exercises help just a bit. Something else?
I used to be overwhelmed with panic attacks and my life was being ruined by such fears. Let me tell you what I learnt. You know when you need to go to the toilet and your in public? what do you do? you don't relieve yourself in public right? So you just acknowledge the feeling but you don't fuse with it. You create a space and a separation from the emotion and carry on your merry way.

I got so good at this that I would be at work having panic attacks but still functioning okay because I had separated myself from the emotion. When someone is overwhelmed with a panic attack they are fusing themselves with the emotion instead of separating themselves from it and seeing it as just some Adrenalin pumping. You need your mind to do this.

It came to the point where the panic attacks stopped.

I hope that helps and would be happy to provide more info.

Last edited by a moderator: