• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What do you do when you get panic attack, please help?

D

DD040894

I
Mindfulness breathing helps me ad even if our outside no one can tell your controlling your breathing. If that doesnt work i take a betablocker to slow my heart . If its really bad and I’m not driving i take lorazepam . But usually the betablockers work as they really reduce my heart rate and dont make me feel tired
I am not actually thinking during panic attack that I will die, lose my mind, get a heart attack or so. I am affraid that someone will sexually abuse me while I feel helpless. That might explain why some of those techniques don't work for me.

N

Nukelavee

how much do you know about how anxiety and panic attacks work? Are you aware of the link between physical feelings of anxiety and anxious thinking?

On the chance you don't - if you feel anxious, ie, butterfiles, etc, that physical feeling will trigger your mind to try to figure out what the threat is. If there is no clear threat, your mind will start imagining threats, and cycling thru reasons, making it impossible to think clearly.

That, in turn, increases the physical feelings, as your body tries to prepare for fight or flight. the more the physical increases, the harder it becomes to think, because your body is diverting resources to run away. the more unclear your thinking, the worse the physical feelings.

And so on.

A faster heart beat can trigger it. Or a reaction to a loud noise, or worrying about, say, a bill.

So, slow breathing. This starts to slow down heart rate, a slower heart rate lets your body relax, which lets your mind ease up. Which slows your heart, and so on.

I also like to imagine "building" things in my mind, distracting myself from the anxious thinking. Trying to visualize a castle or a cabin and it's surroundings takes your focus off how you feel.

for me, being cold is a trigger, because it feels like anxiety, so I try not to get chilled.

hope this helps a little.

D

DD040894

how much do you know about how anxiety and panic attacks work? Are you aware of the link between physical feelings of anxiety and anxious thinking?

On the chance you don't - if you feel anxious, ie, butterfiles, etc, that physical feeling will trigger your mind to try to figure out what the threat is. If there is no clear threat, your mind will start imagining threats, and cycling thru reasons, making it impossible to think clearly.

That, in turn, increases the physical feelings, as your body tries to prepare for fight or flight. the more the physical increases, the harder it becomes to think, because your body is diverting resources to run away. the more unclear your thinking, the worse the physical feelings.

And so on.

A faster heart beat can trigger it. Or a reaction to a loud noise, or worrying about, say, a bill.

So, slow breathing. This starts to slow down heart rate, a slower heart rate lets your body relax, which lets your mind ease up. Which slows your heart, and so on.

I also like to imagine "building" things in my mind, distracting myself from the anxious thinking. Trying to visualize a castle or a cabin and it's surroundings takes your focus off how you feel.

for me, being cold is a trigger, because it feels like anxiety, so I try not to get chilled.

hope this helps a little.
For me being cold will not cause panic attack, but it makes me anxious and unwell.
IIRC, slow abdominal breathing and focusing on one thing. When I have panic attack I have urge to do 5 things at once, that makes me even more anxious.

S

Solzilla

Hey there. I think a lot of people already mentioned the breathing technique. But for me, I usually gets panic attacks when I’m feeling so overwhelmed that I don’t know what to do. When I start to feel it rising in my stomach and chest, I usually close my eyes. And count to eight slow in my head. Then, I do it again and try breathing as I count. I try not to think about anything else, just the numbers. And then, when I open my eyes again, I set this strict limit with myself to have just the one thought. “What’s the one thing that’s really bothering me? What can I do about it?”

For me, rationalizing my thoughts helps. But just so that I don’t feel overwhelmed, I deal with it one at a time. It’s hard not to do when you’re thoughts are buzzing and there’s a million things, but writing it down helps. For me, I write down the one thing and I’ll work on whatever’s worrying me. That kinda beings me back to control, even if it’s just something small.

D

DD040894

Hey there. I think a lot of people already mentioned the breathing technique. But for me, I usually gets panic attacks when I’m feeling so overwhelmed that I don’t know what to do. When I start to feel it rising in my stomach and chest, I usually close my eyes. And count to eight slow in my head. Then, I do it again and try breathing as I count. I try not to think about anything else, just the numbers. And then, when I open my eyes again, I set this strict limit with myself to have just the one thought. “What’s the one thing that’s really bothering me? What can I do about it?”

For me, rationalizing my thoughts helps. But just so that I don’t feel overwhelmed, I deal with it one at a time. It’s hard not to do when you’re thoughts are buzzing and there’s a million things, but writing it down helps. For me, I write down the one thing and I’ll work on whatever’s worrying me. That kinda beings me back to control, even if it’s just something small.
It kind of makes sense. Focusing on numbers. And writing down is always good. How do you feel during panic attacks? I actually feel it deep down in my stomach, like a cramp full of negative energy. Actually often I feel pressure there, but when panic attack happens it gets much bigger.

S

Solzilla

It kind of makes sense. Focusing on numbers. And writing down is always good. How do you feel during panic attacks? I actually feel it deep down in my stomach, like a cramp full of negative energy. Actually often I feel pressure there, but when panic attack happens it gets much bigger.
Yeah, I think it’s just my mind going into hyperdrive so my body follows suit. If I take away any stimulus by closing my eyes and focusing on the numbers, I tend to ease into it at the very least.

I can totally relate to that negative feeling in your stomach too. You’re right, it does get stronger when it happens.

For me, I feel it in my chest first actually. It’ll just be tight. Like someone just dropped a dumbbell on my lungs and I feel like my airway is restricted and I can’t breathe. Then, I could hear my pulse from ears because it’s going so fast. In my stomach, I’d feel a sinking feeling and a knot that’s just twisting and twisting and twisting. I’d feel nauseous enough to want to throw up sometimes. But I usually detect it when I can’t breathe. That’s when I know it’s happening.

How are you feeling about your panic attacks? I hope the tips are helping.

D

DD040894

Yeah, I think it’s just my mind going into hyperdrive so my body follows suit. If I take away any stimulus by closing my eyes and focusing on the numbers, I tend to ease into it at the very least.

I can totally relate to that negative feeling in your stomach too. You’re right, it does get stronger when it happens.

For me, I feel it in my chest first actually. It’ll just be tight. Like someone just dropped a dumbbell on my lungs and I feel like my airway is restricted and I can’t breathe. Then, I could hear my pulse from ears because it’s going so fast. In my stomach, I’d feel a sinking feeling and a knot that’s just twisting and twisting and twisting. I’d feel nauseous enough to want to throw up sometimes. But I usually detect it when I can’t breathe. That’s when I know it’s happening.

How are you feeling about your panic attacks? I hope the tips are helping.
Actually, didn't have panic attacks since day when I opened this thread. I remember that last time I did something similar to what you described, I closed my eyes, and then started slow breathing with focusing on something in my room. Thank you.

D

Debaura500

U have to keep moving I've had one which lasted hours and it was the most frightening experience I've had. I'd rather the pain of childbirth than the mental anquish. On YouTube I watch "meditation vacation". The man talks you down and it's really helped me the anxiety seems to be going.

D

DD040894

U have to keep moving I've had one which lasted hours and it was the most frightening experience I've had. I'd rather the pain of childbirth than the mental anquish. On YouTube I watch "meditation vacation". The man talks you down and it's really helped me the anxiety seems to be going.
I can't know how huge is childbirth pain, but I believe that there is no physical pain that can be worse than some mental pains, like huge panic attack(I had one huge that lasted a day, it was one of the worst days of my life), or suicidal depression or depressive psychosis.
I am just having mild panic attack. It is because I talked to a friend to reccommend me some girls he know to meet them. I am actually scared to death of homosexuality and that people will think I am homosexual. That is biggest trigger for my panic attacks. During panic attacks I have thougts that any guy I see will sexually abuse me, that I will turn homosexual and kill myself. Frightening experience.