• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What do you do when you get panic attack, please help?

D

DD040894

I am struggling with depression and BPD, and I have sometimes panic attacks.I know what is the trigger of my panic attacks. I can't always just go away from trigger.

Please guys, PLEASE tell me(someone with experience please) what do you do when you have panic attack?
For me none of medications work, even breathing exercises help just a bit. Something else?

N

NoOne5

I have to take an anxiety medication and try to practice wellness tools when that happens. Good luck. :hug: :hug:

D

DD040894

I have to take an anxiety medication and try to practice wellness tools when that happens. Good luck. :hug: :hug:
I take regularly diazepam, but it does't help me with panic attacks. Today I had smallest possible panic attack and searched on internet and found that looking at same spot and focusing as well as closing your eyes can help. Not sure if that stopped it, but something did.

N

NoOne5

I take regularly diazepam, but it does't help me with panic attacks. Today I had smallest possible panic attack and searched on internet and found that looking at same spot and focusing as well as closing your eyes can help. Not sure if that stopped it, but something did.
I hate anxiety and panic attacks. :hug::hug:

D

DD040894

I hate anxiety and panic attacks. :hug::hug:
At the moment I am just feeling anxious for no reason. My stomach hurts so much when anxiety is high. But for me anxiety attacks are nothing compared to those awful panic attacks.

M

Macncheese

I am struggling with depression and BPD, and I have sometimes panic attacks.I know what is the trigger of my panic attacks. I can't always just go away from trigger.

Please guys, PLEASE tell me(someone with experience please) what do you do when you have panic attack?
For me none of medications work, even breathing exercises help just a bit. Something else?
I have a picture of me and my dad (from like 20 yrs ago)..we were at the beach and it was such a great time in my life. My dad passed away 7yrs ago but I grab that picture , focus on it, and do my breathing techniques.

B

bracknelson

Whenever you get panic try to start deep breathing slowly, but you already tried it doesn't work well.
So there are more ways, recognize that you’re having a panic attack,
and take away your fear of death.
When you feel like having a panic attack because of your surroundings, and environment just close your eyes and let your panic go.
Practice your mindfulness, so you can attach with reality and reduce your attack symptoms.

R

RTLP

Have you ever tried SSRI's? Also what dosage of diazepam are you taking and how often?

D

DD040894

Whenever you get panic try to start deep breathing slowly, but you already tried it doesn't work well.
So there are more ways, recognize that you’re having a panic attack,
and take away your fear of death.
When you feel like having a panic attack because of your surroundings, and environment just close your eyes and let your panic go.
Practice your mindfulness, so you can attach with reality and reduce your attack symptoms.
I asked my therapeutist and he told me "Do abdominal breathing slowly and look and focus on things around you(for example by saying what you see)". But thank you anyways.

D

DD040894

Have you ever tried SSRI's? Also what dosage of diazepam are you taking and how often?
Of course, I tried like 6-7 of SSRI's. I now take SNRI(venlafaxine). I take daily 10 mg of diazepam, can go up to 15 mg if I need it.

R

RTLP

First of all would to emphasize that I’m not a psychiatrist and what I’m saying it’s out of my experience. For me SSRI’s have worked well in regards to panic attacks and have taking them for the last 20 years. I had a huge problem last year when I tried to change from escitalopram to sertraline. I had panic attacks for hours and hours nonstop and the GPs were telling me not to take diazepam. Now things are good. If I was you would be very careful with the diazepam. I only use them 2-3 times a year. Of course your case is different. If I was you would found a psychiatrist that I like (it’s normal to like some and dislike others) and follow his advice. I know how debilitating panic attacks are. In which country do you live? The reason I’m asking is because UK is notorious for not having good mental health section.

D

DD040894

First of all would to emphasize that I’m not a psychiatrist and what I’m saying it’s out of my experience. For me SSRI’s have worked well in regards to panic attacks and have taking them for the last 20 years. I had a huge problem last year when I tried to change from escitalopram to sertraline. I had panic attacks for hours and hours nonstop and the GPs were telling me not to take diazepam. Now things are good. If I was you would be very careful with the diazepam. I only use them 2-3 times a year. Of course your case is different. If I was you would found a psychiatrist that I like (it’s normal to like some and dislike others) and follow his advice. I know how debilitating panic attacks are. In which country do you live? The reason I’m asking is because UK is notorious for not having good mental health section.
My diagnoses are actually F33.2 (severe non-psychotic depression) and F60.3(emotionally unstable personality disorder). My doctor is really good. I am not from UK, I am from country with far worse system than UK ever had. Actually, I have to go to another country(medical system there is bad also, but not as bad as here) to see psychiatrist. I was taking sertraline, citalopram, mirtrazapine, paroxetine, mianserine, clomipramine, maprotilin, prozac, tradozon,... I can't count. Panic attacks are maybe 10% of my problems in terms of symptoms.

R

RTLP

My diagnoses are actually F33.2 (severe non-psychotic depression) and F60.3(emotionally unstable personality disorder). My doctor is really good. I am not from UK, I am from country with far worse system than UK ever had. Actually, I have to go to another country(medical system there is bad also, but not as bad as here) to see psychiatrist. I was taking sertraline, citalopram, mirtrazapine, paroxetine, mianserine, clomipramine, maprotilin, prozac, tradozon,... I can't count. Panic attacks are maybe 10% of my problems in terms of symptoms.
Sounds like your case is more serious than mine. Have you tried transcranial direct current stimulation? It's inexpensive and save.

D

DD040894

Sounds like your case is more serious than mine. Have you tried transcranial direct current stimulation? It's inexpensive and save.
Yes, I tried even that. It didn't help me. I find psychotherapy with my current therapeutist most helpful. And my current farmacotherapy is good. I find quetiapine especially helpful for stabilizating mood.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Mindfulness breathing helps me ad even if our outside no one can tell your controlling your breathing. If that doesnt work i take a betablocker to slow my heart . If its really bad and I’m not driving i take lorazepam . But usually the betablockers work as they really reduce my heart rate and dont make me feel tired