• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What do you do for a living?

L

Lillyanne35

I am a shift leader in a residential home, which can be very challenging and stressful at times and not well paid, but I find this job very rewarding. It’s not about the money to me, it’s about making a difference to the resident’s lives and making them smile...and they say we lack empathy 😔.

I am also a Mother to 2 children and doing a bachelors degree in Health and Social Care.

Acorn

Acorn

I used to support autistic children to attend mainstream school

I want to go back to doing that at some point.

M

MultipulePDs

I used to work in Customer Service roles.

However, now I think doing something like running a small business from home would be more suited.

L

lonelyclove

never worked and im.suffering because i know i could under specific conditions and excell at it but how will i find them?!?!

G

Girl interupted

I am in law enforcement. My therapist will not put my diagnosis on paper. She is afraid that I could lose my job.
Nope, not anymore. The stigma with #mentalhealth and law enforcement is eroding.

I hope your service has a wellness program.

Follow @thebeardedcop on twitter. Great example of bravery. And incredible strength. I follow him and I'm always in awe of his advocacy.

G

Girl interupted

I am a shift leader in a residential home, which can be very challenging and stressful at times and not well paid, but I find this job very rewarding. It’s not about the money to me, it’s about making a difference to the resident’s lives and making them smile...and they say we lack empathy 😔.

I am also a Mother to 2 children and doing a bachelors degree in Health and Social Care.
You are a hero in my eyes, having just lost my mom and watched how folks cared for her.

G

Girl interupted

I used to support autistic children to attend mainstream school

I want to go back to doing that at some point.
I think having bpd would be an asset in that capacity. We are always hyper aware of others moods. You probably were far more intuitive and gave those kids what they needed.

M

Marianda

I am an attorney, I graduated as an attorney in South America but managed to get a master's degree in the USA and then pass the New York bar examination. I completed the master degree and took the bar exam while being on anti depressants. I worked as an attorney in South America and in USA. Work helps me to feel less miserable. However I get stressed more than a "normal" person does. I get tired very fast and I find impossible to relax and disconnect from work. Despite all of these " inconvenients" I refuse to let depression and anxiety take away my carreer. They took away many things of my life, but those bastards will not kill my carrer.

G

Girl interupted

Awesome Marianda. More stories like these please, it shows we are only limited by ourselves.

You. Can. Do. Anything.

M

Marianda

Awesome Marianda. More stories like these please, it shows we are only limited by ourselves.

You. Can. Do. Anything.
Yes, if you stick to your medication you can make it. It implies a huge sacrifice to reach your goals if you suffer from depression, but you have go for it.

C

Coolname

I am an attorney, I graduated as an attorney in South America but managed to get a master's degree in the USA and then pass the New York bar examination. I completed the master degree and took the bar exam while being on anti depressants. I worked as an attorney in South America and in USA. Work helps me to feel less miserable. However I get stressed more than a "normal" person does. I get tired very fast and I find impossible to relax and disconnect from work. Despite all of these " inconvenients" I refuse to let depression and anxiety take away my carreer. They took away many things of my life, but those bastards will not kill my carrer.
Fantastic! So inspiring.

Squirrels make me smile

Squirrels make me smile

I'm 34 and had 46 jobs between 16-30 (most where temp) I was only diagnosed with BPD after being sexually assaulted and left for dead by a ex and his friend. I became homeless and destitute at the same time and attempted suicide and come very close to death.
The past 4 years have been so hard, terrible living arrangements, having to live on benefits. I'm starting to get my confidence back and my ultimate dream is to do a barbering course and open my own vintage style Barber shop.

Sadly it's a pipe dream due to lack of funds, so now I'm unfortunately stuck in the benefit rabbit hole. I'm actually better off on universal credit than I would be in a full time minimum wage job and don't have to deal with the stress of bosses/customers etc.

At 34 I actually feel like my life is sort of over.

G

Girl interupted

I'm 34 and had 46 jobs between 16-30 (most where temp) I was only diagnosed with BPD after being sexually assaulted and left for dead by a ex and his friend. I became homeless and destitute at the same time and attempted suicide and come very close to death.
The past 4 years have been so hard, terrible living arrangements, having to live on benefits. I'm starting to get my confidence back and my ultimate dream is to do a barbering course and open my own vintage style Barber shop.

Sadly it's a pipe dream due to lack of funds, so now I'm unfortunately stuck in the benefit rabbit hole. I'm actually better off on universal credit than I would be in a full time minimum wage job and don't have to deal with the stress of bosses/customers etc.

At 34 I actually feel like my life is sort of over.
You need to recognize that you are a survivor and your traumas do not define who you are.

Do the barbering course. Reset your path. Do it for you.