• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What do you do for a living?

G

Girl interupted

I just want to prove to everyone here you can be anything you set your mind to. That your diagnosis doesn’t define you.

I was a journalist for 15 years. I worked all over the world. I was part of a team nominated for a Pulitzer.

The angry voice in my head made me work harder. I made it to the top of my profession 5 years out of school.

I now write speeches and reports for politicians. It’s high stress, super demanding, but I can still navigate.

My disorder hasn’t changed my ability to contribute.

I know we have scientists and graduate students here. Share what you do (be careful not to include anything identifying though).

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I breathe, drink, eat and sleep!

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
Was a gardener working on some pretty exclusive properties, till I couldn't cope anymore.

SwanLake

SwanLake

I just want to prove to everyone here you can be anything you set your mind to. That your diagnosis doesn’t define you.

I was a journalist for 15 years. I worked all over the world. I was part of a team nominated for a Pulitzer.

The angry voice in my head made me work harder. I made it to the top of my profession 5 years out of school.

I now write speeches and reports for politicians. It’s high stress, super demanding, but I can still navigate.

My disorder hasn’t changed my ability to contribute.

I know we have scientists and graduate students here. Share what you do (be careful not to include anything identifying though).
I am probably older than most on here but having Social Phobia and BPD (although not knowing I did) actually helped me become a very senior sales exec in the city. I think a mixture of being creative and charismatic, coupled with the fact I fucking hated any small talk, made me very succinct and to the point, which in turn made me very successful.
I crumbled at the end and now just drive for a living but I managed to financially secure my families financial future before I did.

A

Allyalz

I was a web developer and had done work on websites for adobe amongst others before I had to quit due to mh 6 years ago.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I was a Paediatric nurse training to be a health visitor when physical health disabilities took there toll then mental health difficulties.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m one of the older members and have had a variety of jobs hotel management retail and longest was as a testing analyst for a bank

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I breathe, drink, eat and sleep!
On a more serious note, I'm unable to work for a living. My parents provide for me and I help a little with household chores when I'm not learning undergraduate-level physics and mathematics on my own from various textbooks.

J

Jules5

I use to be a social worker now I am a stay at home mom. My MH destroyed all my jobs I would last maybe a year and then go into psychosis and make a train wreck out of everything.

G

Girl interupted

On a more serious note, I'm unable to work for a living. My parents provide for me and I help a little with household chores when I'm not learning undergraduate-level physics and mathematics on my own from various textbooks.
See? I could never do that. Me and math and science aren’t friends. That’s awesome!

G

Girl interupted

For everyone struggling, you can get it back again. One setback is not a lifetime. Focus on therapy and getting stronger, then get back on the horse.

What we have been able to accomplish with the mh weight on our shoulders is significant. Imagine what we can accomplish with it gone. Xox

C

Coolname

Great idea!

I am not diagnosed with anything but here is my career history in a nutshell.

Disengaged with school and left before the legal age due to untreated MH issues.
Did a variety of entry level manual jobs for many years, could only work for a few months at a time, then breakdown, then back to work 6 months or so later. Not recognising I was ill, continually trying to 'pull myself togther' and beating myself up.

Discovered exposure therapy and later CBT through self help books. Night school followed. MH meant I couldn't keep going on first try, tried again a long time later once I had regrouped. Depression deepened for a long time. Stopped studying after the first set of quals achieved.

During and following counselling / therapy and lots of self help and effort, I changed direction and was able to build a career. Often two steps forward and one step back but I keep plugging away and am now a qualified and experienced professional in a very responsible role.

I'm not suggesting it was easy, the above took place over many years of forward and backward steps. I'm not suggesting it is doable for everyone, I put so much effort into the above but luck is always the key ingredient.

What I am trying to say is that not giving up, keeping on trying, keeping on developing, can give the lie to any label you have been given or give yourself.

Part of MH issues is having your brain lie to you, tell you that you are at fault, that nothing will ever change.

Believe in yourself, you are capable of so much more than you think. Believe in life and other people, this world has the ability to surprise you in the most wonderful ways.

ps

Wow! I think I am talking myself into giving life another go! :D Thanks Girl Interrupted, feeling better than I have in a long while.

G

Girl interupted

What a remarkable story! Thank you SO much for sharing. It’s very affirming. Xox