• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What coping mechanisms do you use? and how do you get out of your depression?

chazxxx

chazxxx

What coping mechanisms do you use? and how do you get out of your depression?

What coping mechanisms do you use to keep your depression at bay?

I've only really had one major depressive episode. Since then maybe a couple of minor episodes but generally I can notice the signs and hear my thought processes change and try to stop them in their tracks. I generally just try to be a little more active, see my friends more, distract myself and completely ignore any thoughts or feelings I might have and just keep myself occupied and distracted.
But this time, i don't know what it is, i havent been able to. I've been feeling worse an worse each day for the last month, to the point where I feel almost as bad as i did the first time. Sleeping bad or not sleeping, the constant Anxious sickly feeling. Feeling very Irritable and anoyed at everyone around me. As well as the obvious mental mental self torture and degrading of myself. I can't seem to just ignore it this time. It's here and doesn't want to go.
Im finding myself obessessing over what im thinking about. Keep looking up things related to suicide. (I dont believe im suicidal) I just find myself researching everything about it, from methods to videos and documentaries about how it affects families.

I don't really have anyone to talk to properly, my parents don't even believe in mental health problems. I have 2 friends one is more a do things with friend and the other i can and sort of tried to talk to but she doesn't quite get it, she relates it to when she feels down and it's really not the same thing. I don't want to nor see the point of seeing my gp, they don't seem to understand, or maybe I'm just paranoid they don't believe me? But all she'll do is prescribe anti - depressants again and i don't want them. I know they won't help me.

Just feeling at a bit of a loss of how to bring myself out of this hole this time. Sorry this post ended up being really long, actually probably wasn't nesissary, the point was just to ask what you guys do to stop yourself falling down and how you help yourself get back up when you do?

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have personally started to feel the wonders of a bath. It really relaxes me. I am also trying to spend the least amount of time alone without either a person or a Dog.

The only time I have spent at my flat (where I am right now) in the past couple of months is if I am working. I'm working tonight but not tomorrow night so tomorrow is my test day to see whether I can cope.

The last thing, in my opinion you need when you are feeling depressed is to be alone. Of course if you tell me that when I hit a low I won't believe it.

Sorry you are feeling so, so bad at the moment.

Huge :hug1:'s

Marliee x

pepecat

pepecat

I have personally started to feel the wonders of a bath.
Oh YES.... most definitely. Sunday night is bath night. :) Nice hot bubble bath and a good book.
I can recommend lush products (but not ceridwen's cauldron - gave me a really itchy rash), or, if you've got a birthday / christmas coming up, Neal's Yard stuff is ace (but expensive).

C

Christobel

I can relate to all you are saying, especially the sickly anxious feeling. When I was in hospital I constantly had a cup of coffee in my hand, and was so lonely and cut-off I used to put the nurses on a one-to-one!

Like you I have looked at suicide sites. The psychiatrist said to give myself a piece of chocolate when i DON'T look at them. It worked for me, and I have stopped.

I am much better since my concentration has improved, as I can read. I know this is not possible for everyone. Getting out of the house for some exercise is beneficial. I walk for one and a half hours twice a week and I've bought myself a cross-trainer. Expensive to buy, but better than going to the gym, imho.

N

natalie

Hi,

Although, and I'm not sure now what forum or sub forum this thread is under, so I'll hasard a guess, it's depression if I might be right about that, now I don't suffer with too bad depression, however, when I do feel stuck in a stressful, or very anxious state, I'll usually will listen to upbeat uptempo music, and at the first next available opportunity, I'll go straight into a hard dance aerobics workout (warm up and cooldown) long workout I'll hascent to add.

For instance also today, I needed to have a clearer head further, so I thought I'll take a bath, and that has now very much relaxed me right down. I must be aware more light heartedly, when my brother usually has his shower, or hair wash, so that I'll be prepared when to get into the bathroom, and sometimes mum will advise me if he will be.

If also, I'm in a frazzled stressful state, (I don't like to use the term depression myself), I'm bipolar, based, I'll switch and go straight into my knitting mode, listening to walkman through headphones. Knitting to eventually calm me down.

Try also, on the odd occasion, now I usually will aim for green tea, without an added flavour, that really does wonders too - to calm me down.

I'm out for the morning, volunteering tomorrow, during in due course of the afternoon, I'll keep an eye, to see how you are at the moment doing; have you thought and is an idea, to maybe call the crisis, team, and see how they can help you, or even better, the Samaritans?

Hope for the best,

All the best,

Natalie.

pepecat

pepecat

I find that going for walks helps - even when I was unwell I'd walk a lot. They rhythm of left right left right seemed to at least give some order / regularity to my turbulent thoughts and feelings. I liked the feeling of being on the move away from the house, and never liked returning home all that much.

Cliched though it is, I also like doing jigsaws.

As for what to do if I feel myself slipping...... well, try and get sleep, because being tired is a terrible trigger for me.
Sometimes I need to be on my own for a bit, so not seeing friends for a week can really help.
Other times distraction helps, so getting out and being at work helps. It can vary, depending on how I"m feeling.

Writing helps a lot. Try keeping a journal / diary by hand, or a word doc, or in here. I know it's not the same as talking to someone, but I find it helpful - helps me clarify things.

You could also consider therapy. Regular stuff would probably have to be through the NHS, but if you wanted something a bit more ad hoc and kinda 'as and when', then private would be the way to go. You might well be able to meet with a private therapist and say that you have period episodes of depression, so sometimes you could do with a couple of sessions, and then maybe nothing for a bit, and then again when you feel it coming on again. They might well be able to do that for you, but the NHS wouldn't.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I understand your reluctance to see your GP, particularly if they want to prescribe medication and nothing else.. but some practices offer counselling, and i'm wondering if that's something worth pursuing?

Having a counsellor to talk to once a week really helps me to offload and feel like i'm being heard. From what you've said, it sounds like there aren't many people in your life that you can confide in, and so it might be really valuable to see a counsellor.

Whilst reading your post I did think about how much medication has helped me, but I appreciate that that's not for everybody and there is some research to show that sometimes it's not always the best option.

I agree with other people's suggestions here.
Keeping a journal is a good idea.

I don't know if you've heard of art journalling, but that's a method that really works for me. Instead of writing out what's going on, the idea is to close your eyes for two minutes and ask "How do I feel?". Then, you draw out any images that came into your mind or that you feel reflect your current mood. Being mindful of your choice in colours is also encouraged. Also, it doesn't have to make sense. If you just want to do a blue squiggle, then that's ok.

I agree that sleep is very important and to take rest whenever you feel you need it.

Also, taking one day at a time is a really good approach. Even now I don't look too far ahead into my future because I find it quite depressing, so instead I just think about what i'm doing this week.

C

Christobel

Like Pepecat, I also find jigzsaw very good mind training. When I first did them, I marvelled how I could keep my mind blank but occupied in finding the next piece.