• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What comes first for you? Psychosis, Hypomania or Depression

shaky

shaky

Sometimes it is difficult to tell them apart, but as far as I can tell I usually get hypomanic and then psychosis develops from that.
I can't remember being psychotic and depressed at the same time since 2010, but I could be wrong about that.

How about you?

Kerome

Kerome

For me, the start of hearing voices coincided with powerful elements of paranoia, spiritual seeking, hypomania, and life changing circumstances contributing a lot of stress. It was a bit of a mess. But I never really experienced the delusions that characterise full-on psychosis, it stayed with hearing voices until I started taking medicines.

Subsequent semi episodes have been associated with changing or attempting to get off medication, and it's hard to tell whether they are medicine side effects or not.

SarahD

SarahD

For me psychosis usually comes with depression. Voices, sometimes visual hallucinations, and paranoid delusions.

However years ago I had a two year period with on off hypomania and during that time I had a lot of psychosis. Wasn't diagnosed, so blissfully unaware there was any untoward reason for my exciting, fascinating and mystical experiences.

Wish I could have that again. Or even my wonderful one off period of 5 months euphoric mania! But still so mortified about what I did during my last two episodes of hypomania I think maybe never again. I hope.