• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What CBT / Self-help Practises work best for you?

N

novasol

Hello guys,

Just wondering what CBT / Self-help practises work best for everyone here?

Personally I think accepting my thoughts as just thoughts, and exposing myself to my anxious thoughts until they subside work the most effective.

F

FindPeaceWithMeditation

Hi novasol,
I've found mindfulness and meditation to be the way to overcome anxiety and depression. I'm glad you have found peace in accepting your thoughts and seeing them as just thoughts. Acceptance is the key. Acceptance of ourselves, our thoughts, our feelings. This is what mindfulness and meditation train our minds to do. Most of us build a habit of pushing away and fearing anxiety and intrusive thoughts which only increases their power over us and creates a vicious cycle. When you watch what's going on in your mind and body instead of reacting to it, you begin to see it clearly. You begin to understand that these things have no power that you don't give to them.
I suffered from debilitating anxiety and depression for over five years before beginning mindfulness and meditation, and now I'm living a more peaceful life than I thought possible. If you'd like more information on these practices, please send me a message!
On another note, I used to live a very sedentary lifestyle and hardly exercised. I've begun being much more active and it's amazing how much of a difference it makes. It makes sense, since we're naturally made to be active creatures. When you're active you release a normal, healthy amount of "happy chemicals". It's no wonder why I was so depressed back when I just laid around all day. You don't have to go to the gym and do an intense workout, just stand and walk around more often.
Wishing you peace!

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hello guys,

Just wondering what CBT / Self-help practises work best for everyone here?

Personally I think accepting my thoughts as just thoughts, and exposing myself to my anxious thoughts until they subside work the most effective.
Hi novasol,

Mindfulness and meditation are helpful in recovering from anxiety and depression. I found seeing a counsellor very useful as well - they were able to help me make sense of what I had experienced, and what to do about it. Highly recommend it.

Much love <3

R

Rick(amateur)

I do something very simple. I talk about my issues, even if it's just myself. I find that being able to communicate your idea to yourself or ideas isn't as easy as you think. When you can do it with ease, you have mostly understood what your issues are resulting in the first step of recovery. Can't really resolve an issue if you don't know what it is. :)

N

novasol

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely look into meditation. And I have also contacted a therapist. But unfortunately it there is a 2 month waiting list.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Has CBT worked for you? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 51
1 My New Anxiety Story, and CBT Advice- Rather Long Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 0
J CBT Appointment Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
R Does CBT help with Generalized anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
T what is the method of CLINICAL CBT Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
E Those who have had CBT -- I have a question! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
C cbt isnt helping what should I do ?!! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
Daybreak Anybody try self-message and/or essential oils for anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
L Have anyone tried the Decider Skills for self-help? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
D I want to cry, I’m screaming from hell im almost 19, my anxiety is causing from low self esteem, feeling like a child Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
D Anxiety - Self harming Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
A Anxiety is eroding my sense of self, I just need to talk to someone Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Self worth and facing the future. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
R New user - Crippling obsessive thought, panic attacks and self harm Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
P Anxiety due to relationships, self worth, acceptance... What do I do advice please!!! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
N dear step daught and problems at school with anxiety/self harming Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
J Anxiety, low self esteem Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
loneshadow Self harmed FFS in my leg :( Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
J I need help. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 10
W Help with GAD and fear over nothing Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
P Please help me say as little to people as possible Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 9
M Broken glass Anxiety, please help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
I i need help! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
L Please help me, I reached breaking point again. (VERY LONG TW:ANXIETY, SUICIDE, DPD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
G I have a cure for anxiety think I can help you IMO Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 15
B I need help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
Scg Health Anxiety please help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
A Anyone else try to shun use of social media to help Anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 17
M Hello, a little help? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
L Married but feels like a sham...please help... Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 10
W Upper chest flutters ?? Help? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
G "High Functioning" Guy needing some help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
C Request for help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 20
M How can I help my girlfriend? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
B Can someone help me feel a bit normal... please? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
L Need help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
J Please someone help....anxiety...sertraline to mirtazipane Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
L Do I need more help? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
LORD BURT I need help. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 17
S Help with general decision making Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
H How to help my partner get to the GP Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
G Help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
J Help and guidance needed! Please Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
J need help/ advice about anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
B My partner has panic disorder, agrophobia and separation anxiety but I can find anyone who will help ME Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
O Please help me what do i have??? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
A Sudden Onset Anxiety - Please help! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Fairy Lucretia sorry to be a nuisance but need help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
R Need help! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6