• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

what causes depersonalisation (spacing out) and what cures it

GreenEmerald

GreenEmerald

what causes depersonalisation (spacing out) and what cures it. The reason I ask is I suffer from it and don't know how to treat it.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

My knowledge is limited but, as far as I am aware, there are lots of theories and differing explanations as to what causes depersonalisation; everything, from the old favourite chemical imbalance to theories regarding attachment issues during infancy and childhood. Stress also seems to play a big part (which makes the most sense to me, when it's viewed as a coping mechanism).

I don't know if there's a cure as such. There are prevention and coping strategies. The biggest is to reduce the amount of stress in your life (often easier said than done, I know) and lowering anxiety levels.

I know it's not much help but it's worth doing a bit of on-line research to see if you can find an explanation that fits your own circumstances and ways in which you can deal with it or prevent it from happening too much. Knowledge is power! :)

I wish you well.

R

Rose19602

Purple Chaos' advice sounds good to me!

Anecdotally, I would add that I think when I experienced it, it was caused by unbearable stress.
It went away when the stress reduced and I have never had it again.

x