• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What caused my mental illness?

M

M_Therd

Hi. I've been diagnosed with BPD and there's a few things I can think of that could be causes but which one is it?

- My parents have mental illnesses
- I was sexually abused as a child
- I was bullied
- I have brain damage from a brain operation

I suffered with bad anxiety as a child and crippling social anxiety but it wasn't until after my operation that I started having mood swings so bad I'd harm myself to make them stop and hearing voices. but maybe it would have happened anyway?

Which of these is the driving cause do you think?

F

fluffpill

all of them caused you stress and stress causes mental illnesses imo. for causes of bpd i read that abuse in childhood plays a huge role.

B

Butterfly3

Typically there is not one single reason a person develops a mental illness, it is believed people develop BPD due to environmental factors, childhood traumas and genetics. I would personally say any big events in life contribute towards the way we develop and our personalities therefore developing into a disorder. So for me it would be things like my mum having breast cancer when I was 6, my dad being quite emotionally abusive, we think my dad may also have the disorder and other things like bullying and stuff that made me this way. I would say all the factors you listed are reasons why you probably developed it.

A

Am33

Just like a computer takes in a virus that effects all other programming so do we take in negative beliefs about ourselves viruses that messes our psyches up . Just like a virus detection program we can use therapy to uncover the belief we took in and delete it with positive affirmations . like the belief what happened in childhood can effect me now. Time has moved on the past no longer exists only in our mind we have the power to wipe that experience from our minds so the memory no longer effects us .

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Hello

we sound quite similar!

all those things could have caused it.

my parents had mental illnesses, I was bullied as a child and I also had brain injuries I had meningitis twice and a brain tumour plus several concussions I’m not sure if they are classed as brain damage but they’re bound to have caused changes. I was never abused, I think all those things could have done it they all may have contributed to it!

EarthChild

EarthChild

I don't know what caused my mental illness - I didn't have any brain injuries or illnesses, I wasn't abused and I wasn't bullied. But I still got it. I did have trauma though, but it wasn't abuse related.

I think it was genetic and the stress in my life triggered it

J

JoleneInCalifornia

Hi. I've been diagnosed with BPD and there's a few things I can think of that could be causes but which one is it?

- My parents have mental illnesses
- I was sexually abused as a child
- I was bullied
- I have brain damage from a brain operation

I suffered with bad anxiety as a child and crippling social anxiety but it wasn't until after my operation that I started having mood swings so bad I'd harm myself to make them stop and hearing voices. but maybe it would have happened anyway?

Which of these is the driving cause do you think?
Im so sorry that you were sexually abused as a child. I, too, went through the same thing for years. Abuse alone can cause ptsd and bpd. I think a culmination of all you went through contributed to your bpd.