• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What can you do when your shrink doesn't listen to a word you say?

S

satnin1981

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder nearly six years ago, and have had a fairly stable few years. But this last year has been sheer hell, and I can't seem to get any joy out of my shrink. I was on lithium for a year, but my shrink decided it wasn't having enough effect to be worth continuing. Now I'm just on Seroquel and Citalopram - and my shrink told me on Tuesday to stop the Citalopram because I was going a bit manic - only I don't think he was actually listening to me, because I told him that I was actually having a mixed episode, was self-harming, and having serious suicidal thoughts. Since stopping the Citalopram, I actually feel as though I'm going completely crazy. Has anyone had any similar experiences? I just don't know what to do!!:mad:

T

TOONAFISH

that is shocking treatment. how are you feeling tonite?? shrinks seem to think they should do everything by the book instead of treating each person as an individual. you should go back to them and explain your symptoms again, write them down so you dont feel on the spot. so is seroquel a mood stabiliser?

sorry i cant be of much help. just want to send a hug ( )

S

satnin1981

Thank you! Seroquel is (according to my shrink) now licenced as a mood stabilizer, but to be quite honest, I don't think it works.
I feel so dissillusioned - it's not the first time I've felt as though my shrink wasn't listening. Maybe I'll write him a letter or something.

T

TOONAFISH

my shrink is without a doubt madder than i am. they don't have a clue sometimes i don't think. i really hope you get somewhere with it. im on lithium just now and they have given me a new tablet too. fingers crossed x:hug:

jax

jax

Satnin - my Pdoc makes a decision within 2 minutes of my sitting down. I know sometimes I ask him to take me off a medication that I don't feel it's helping. He is correct in not taking me off it. I came off my lithium this year as I felt that it wasn't working - I became very ill when I came off it and had to be hospitalized.

I too am on seroque, amongst others. It works very well for me. Different medications work for different people. I would take Toona's advice and write down how you feel. He should read it and have time to digest it. Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Bipolar Forum 3