What can you do to prevent a second episode of psychosis?

A

Anthony07

Besides avoiding drugs and stressful situations I'd like to know what else can I do to prevent a second episode in the future.
And does experiencing psychosis mean you are more prone to have schizophrenia?

O

OCDguy

If you think you may be out of touch with reality, you could always ask the opinion of us peeps on this forum :) Collectively we can't all be wrong :)

NWiddi

NWiddi

I've had two episodes of psychosis both in 2016, once in February/March and again from July to September. The first episode got me hospitalised for 9 days.

I've been taking anti-psychotics since September 2016 and they've prevented further episodes, I don't think I ever want to stop taking these meds as I never want to risk going back to the state I was in during those times.

I still hear a voice that isn't my own but it's at a nice low volume now and I can happily ignore it, apart from that my sense of reality has been fine.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

https://www.earlypsychosis.ca/files/documents/preventing_relapse.pdf

Here is a pdf file I found about preventing relapses.

If you have psychosis and it goes away and you don't have another relapse then you probably don't have schizophrenia. But if you have a relapse and have another psychotic episode or have several more in your history, then the odds of you being diagnosed with schizophrenia probably increase.

S

savavdpeas

I"ve had psychosis/schizophrenia for welve+ years. Up until 2017 I was constatnly tryingt to reduce medication or go off it copmletly. Now I realize I need thte medication.

O

OCDguy

If you understand you need the medication, isn't that progress :)