• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What can I mask seroquel as for work?

M

Matcha

Hi all.

This is sort of a weird question but for a bit of context, my work doesn't have definite work hours so sometimes it takes until 1am or even 4-5am if there's a lot to be done.

I've been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and was prescribed seroquel and the sedating effects of the meds never really left even after months of use.

My problem is, I usually take the med once I think work is done but sometimes, my supervisor suddenly calls for something after I've taken it. I don't usually get to answer because I'm knocked out at this point then I just say sorry the next day and reason out that "I have medicine that makes me sleepy."

He never really asked what sort of medication it is but I just want to be ready with an answer if ever it comes up again. So my question is, what sort of med can I "mask" seroquel as since I don't want my workmates to know about my mental health problems. Is there anything like maintenance meds that also cause drowsiness?

J

JeanPierre

Sinus meds like Benadryl is one.
Your supervisor is not going to ask.
Try not to worry too much.
Welcome here.

L

lifecangetbetter

Sinus meds like Benadryl is one.
Your supervisor is not going to ask.
Try not to worry too much.
Welcome here.
This is a good reason. Benadryl causes lots of drowsiness and is used for allergies

HLon99

HLon99

Yeah, any type of allergy medicine should work. If you continue to have problems with sedation, consider switching to a diffirent medication such as Aripiprazole and Lamictal

L

lifecangetbetter

Yeah, any type of allergy medicine should work. If you continue to have problems with sedation, consider switching to a diffirent medication such as Aripiprazole and Lamictal
Not any type of allergy medication. Benadryl. Other allergy medications are known for their effect of non drowsiness like claritin. But in the case of really powerful allergies benadryl is the most potent that you can find over the counter so that is an applicable excuse. Aripiprazole has a higher chance of eps, in some cases of which are irreversible so I wouldn't recommend it

B

boffin1252

What doseage you on. I've been on seriquel for 2 months now. It takes a while to get used to. I feel a little groggy 1st few hours in morning but passes. Really good at getting me to sleep tho.

I also take modafinal which is a stimulate if I'm really tired in morning. This is taken off label. Maybe try another stimulant like pro plus. Doesn't help with mania tho.

Best of luck

Zana

Zana

Maybe you can give the slow release version a go; you take it once at night or in the morning and you don't really get that hit.

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

Hi all.

This is sort of a weird question but for a bit of context, my work doesn't have definite work hours so sometimes it takes until 1am or even 4-5am if there's a lot to be done.

I've been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and was prescribed seroquel and the sedating effects of the meds never really left even after months of use.

My problem is, I usually take the med once I think work is done but sometimes, my supervisor suddenly calls for something after I've taken it. I don't usually get to answer because I'm knocked out at this point then I just say sorry the next day and reason out that "I have medicine that makes me sleepy."

He never really asked what sort of medication it is but I just want to be ready with an answer if ever it comes up again. So my question is, what sort of med can I "mask" seroquel as since I don't want my workmates to know about my mental health problems. Is there anything like maintenance meds that also cause drowsiness?
there are two types of seroquel (quetiapine)
slow release and fast release

HUGE difference

fast release will knock you out within the hour or two

slow release will not knock you out but slow you down the entire day a bit

S

StillDepressed

Don't feel you have to disclose what medication.
Work know I take meds, but I have never given them any more info.
It is your responsibility to ensure you are safe to work i.e not operating machinery and as long as you are fit to work there is no issue.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah I was going to say the same thing about the machinery/driving thing. If you work with anything like that then you have a responsibility to those around you and you do not want someone's injury or worse on your conscience. So be safe, first and foremost. If you don't operate anything that could end up squashing someone then by all means go with the suggestions here. I'm assuming you don't ever have any drug screening at your work, right?