• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

what can I do?

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I just give in every time, why can't I resist these urges, it's like an addiction and I just keep coming back for more and more

Jonwal

Jonwal

I think u have to try and confront ur feelings and what is lacking in ur life that ur not getting elsewhere. It's easy for me to say this and there is probably a multitude of things that don't help so I will shut up now

If u look on utube Gabor mate talks about addiction I found some of his insights helpful

Jonwal

Jonwal

What urges are u trying to resist?

B

BAGGPUSS

I just give in every time, why can't I resist these urges, it's like an addiction and I just keep coming back for more and more
I am scared to answer this because i struggle with self harm too, but i just wanted to say i hope you can get through today without self harming i know its not easy.:hug:

maybe you self harm to take your mind off upsetting thoughts and the self harm takes the thoughts away.

I find having a bath sometimes passes time and eases the thoughts of acting on it.

I don't know what to write, hopefully someone on the forum will be able to help more soon.

?? anyone

Jonwal

Jonwal

When did u first start self harming?

cherish

cherish

Hello sparklypurplepaws, Self harm is definitely addictive, sometimes when the urge is so bad i just feel like giving in and doing it just to stop the thoughts of doing it ( if that makes sense?) but then as you know your just left feeling guilty and stupid and scarred:redface: and it is only a temporary relief and the problems and emotions that made you want to harm yourself are still there anyway.
I suppose the only way to stop is to deal with the reasons/emotions that make you want to SH but that can be scary,SH can become like a friend you know is no good for you but you can't let go, you also have to WANT to stop and to be honest at times for some strange reason i don't want to stop????????
I just deal with it a day at a time, distracting myself with music, movies anything really, i did stop for 10 years so it can be done but when times got hard instead of doing the right thing by asking for help and talking about it i just called on my ( no good friend :unsure:)

I hope you have support or friends you can talk to when you feel like this if not you can always come here, i don't know if i have written the right things i just wanted you to know i understand the urge to SH and how hard it can be to resist :hug1:

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
it is addictive, and so hard not to act on the need to. I have found cleaning the bathroom has helped sometimes, that's where I harm, kind of being in that space and cleaning rather than making the awful mess. But I've failed at resisting today so not much help, sorry x
one day at a time...

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I'm afraid in in that guilt / annoyance/ why did I do it stage.
Thank you for all of your kind messages, I'll keep safe now tonight