What can I do?

S

solum

I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for a number of years and I'm not sure why (now 20). I've had a healthy upbringing with lots of friends and family around. I'm physically fit and have a good diet.

I've tried various anti-depressants but none seem to work and quite frankly, after researching them, I believe them to be a bit of a con.

I've recently been diagnosed with ADD but this hasn't helped at all as the medication I'm currently on doesn't do anything, and in fact, makes me worse. What's more is that I'm not even sure if this is the correct diagnosis as all the mental health issues seem to have the same symptoms. I could apparently have bipolar, depression, anxiety, ADD, hyperthyroidism, hypomania or even all of them...

I'm constantly agitated, irritable, emotionless, I can't focus, I have no motivation and just want to stay in bed... But because my mind is so active, not even that's possible.

I've managed to do quite well at university, despite not revising for any exams and leaving coursework til the last few days before the deadline.

I was due to start an internship tomorrow, but I'm in no way ready mentally ready and have postponed the start date.

I really don't enjoy my life and despite seeing the various doctors frequently I feel that they don't take me seriously and I have made no progress with my condition. I can't express what I'm really thinking to them due to mental blocks and social anxiety that means I can't put the words in my head into speech.

I'm really in a bad place at the moment and the pressure is building up. I have no idea what is really wrong with me and I don't feel the want to carry on with my life. I'm running out of options.

I don't want to spend time with my friends because at this age it's hard for them to understand what I'm going through. They just think I'm quiet or annoyed with them. And I understand that if I make them aware of my issues, I know the consequences of and stipulation around being mentally ill. It's a weakness and will only hinder my image and relationships with others.

What's more is that whilst I'm depressed and anxious I just go into autopilot where all my emotions become sealed inside me and I tend to put on a brave face over everything I do. Telling people I'm depressed would either be a huge shock or they wouldn't believe me.

What can I do?

Last edited:
Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, it's hard for people to understand unless they've been through the same thing.
Have you tried any counselling it can be very effective.
I'm sure your close friends probably realise something is wrong, tell them your not feeling well.
Your university should have support services that help students.
I hope you feel better very soon.
Take care

S

solum

I feel I've been doing that sort of thing for too long, my friends just think I don't like them now and I'm too unstable to build our relationships back.

The support at my university wasn't the best. No one seemed to address my issues and they all seemed to be very patronising. I was just 'passed on' with each person that couldn't help. Not to mention the GP's that had 5 minute appointments with each student. It was like a production line.

Being 20, I think it's hard for people to see how I could be going through this amount of trouble. They don't seem to take me seriously.

I'll try to see a counselor soon. ☺️
Thanks for your advice