• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What can I do to boost my self esteem

wollie

wollie

I think I am fat, ugly, and low brow and this aids my depression, no drugs have worked for me and I can't get away from these feelings, any one else feel like this?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Maybe focus on the things you have going for you in your life? Maybe a job, family, friends, your interests, things you love, etc.... Many people aren’t happy with their body, their looks or their class position in life. We all deserve to live a good, rich and satisfying life, though, and that can be done regardless of looks or class position. Focus on the positives more, the negatives less. :hug:

K

karl7

hey i havent much going for myself as well....im overweight too but im not much bothered by that, but i dont like being lonely (no friends) and i dont look forward to the day my parents die.....also i feel i have low self esteem as i feel i have little to contribute to a conversation, i can type here but with people im too quiet and feel socially anxious around them

S

SweetBipolar

I feel severe low self Esteem myself. The only way to feel better is training yourself to love yourself and not worry. The way to do that is write positive words like “I am enough”,”I am perfect the way I am” etc. That’s what my therapist tells me. Although it is not working right away. I believe that’s the only way. Also if you can get a therapist and work on cognitive behavioral therapy. That is trying to train your mind to think positive instead of jumping to negative thoughts right away. I guess everyone learns or gets better at their own pace. As for me it’s taking really long and I do feel hopeless. We have to think positive and it’s very hard but that’s the only way.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
Be yourself
Appreciate yourself

I am getting older and having to adjust how i see this person who is no longer beautiful in the sense of no grays, no wrinkles, no flab, white teeth, no age spots. How you look changes but i am looking at photo's of me now and liking that girl i see.

I like my name now, i am more proud of myself and also sympathetic of myself. I have been researching my family tree and that is interesting. It is making me feel more rooted.

I am noticing older people in the world and in the family, making huge mistakes and saying insane things. I feel superior sometimes which is not good.

I have accepted this is my life and i was either not supposed to have the perfect life or failed somewhere along the line. I am fine with both.

I just want to be healthy and also enjoy my life in the quiet sense. I know what i want to do and who i want to be with and i don't judge anyone for doing the same.

Maybe when we finally realise all of this, we start to look old.

P

Purpleplum

Try using positive affirmations such as "You are worthy", "You are beautiful", "You are intelligent", "You are kind", etc...

Write them on notes (such as post-its) and put one on your mirror, put one by your TV, put one on your bedstand, etc...

Over time of saying these to yourself you will start to believe them.

TrapRage616

TrapRage616

I'm taking more vitamin C and really trying to get better at my job/profession. Does it help with my self esteem? I think so, I find that I'm valuable...at least sometimes.

Blooming

Blooming

I am over weight, but have done a conscious decision that that is OK. ☺ If I were you, wollie, I would have laid down in bed and told myself that I am worthy. Start with slow breathing. Close your Eyes. Touch your cheeks and try to imagine yourself as a child. You, the grown up, are kind to the child, touches the child's cheeks and forehead. The point is that YOU, the grown up, suits the CHILD. You show your own "inner child" that you are good enough the way you are. If you allow yourself to do this for some weeks, you will probably adopt that the grown up you are likable as well.

I think that exercise, exercise, exercise is the way to a better life, if that is about training to be a better swimmer or similar ... So it is with how we look at ourselves as well. I cannot count all the times I have used to practice this or that over and over again. My experience is that practice helps ...

If you have problems with feeling well (your self worth)in the company of others, search Amazon for books in communication and assertiveness. Oh, yeah, "things" take time to learn, but it is well worth it. YOU are worth it! ☺

There is an app you can use for, among other, positive affirmations, Dbt911 (I use it when needed).

DistantOcean

DistantOcean

The best advice I would have is to pursue a skill you're good at or really enjoy.

Zero One

Zero One

I think I am fat, ugly, and low brow and this aids my depression, no drugs have worked for me and I can't get away from these feelings, any one else feel like this?
My psychosis did some of this because I usually have hallucinations when I look at myself but really only psychosis can do that 😋. If you look in the mirror without your thought life disturbed I am sure you will know you are attractive and you can build your self esteem on that and everything you are good at. No one is like you so they can't even compare to you.