• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What can I do if I need a haircut but I am too scared to leave the house

D

depressed_person18

I am at the point where my hair length is starting to annoy me and I can't maintain it or keep it out of the way. I have a barber within walking distance of my house yet I am too anxious to even leave my front door. I guess if you asked me what I was anxious about I would say, having to walk there and then having to be in the barber shop where there will probably be a bunch of other people. I am also anxious about my voice will sound because it sounds really weak and high pitched when I am nervous. I am normally used to going to a quieter barber but he's a lot farther away and it isn't convenient for me at this time to go there. So I will be going to an unfamiliar environment. I know I can probably do it and I will be proud of myself after but it's always the anxiety beforehand that brings me down and makes me feel like it is going to be impossible. Any words of advice? :/

N

Nukelavee

Just do it. Think in terms of how much better you will feel with your haircut, and how nice it will be to have the chore out of the way.

Just keep telling yourself it's only a few minutes, and done.

Plus, it's not that weird to feel uncomfortable getting your haircut. I hate having it done, although I hate looking like a sheepdog more.

For things like this, the best way to deal with the anxiety is to firmly push it down and commit to the task.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Get a hairdresser who comes to your home,that's what I have done.

P

Purpleplum

Take one step at a time. Take a step out your front door one day. The next day take 10 steps, etc... Each day say to yourself out loud that you sound great. Do this until you're at the hairstylist door. Go in there with confidence. Even if you don't have confidence yet, fake it until you do.

jajingna

jajingna

This may not interest anybody, but I've been shaving my own head for years, about 4 times a year. Quick and easy.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Ditto above. If style isnt a concern. Use trimmers and shave your head. Its easy and save you 100 bucks a year

jajingna

jajingna

Ditto above. If style isnt a concern. Use trimmers and shave your head. Its easy and save you 100 bucks a year
Aye, I think the barber clippers may cost 30 or 40 bucks. It's really easy, takes ten minutes. First time or two ya might feel a bit odd with the military boot camp bald head, but does that really matter, for a grown man? A few weeks or month later ya got nice short hair.

toutatis

toutatis

Hi depressed_person18.

If you have a supportive person, someone who empathizes with your struggle, maybe they can accompany you to the hairdressers? It may make the whole thing go a little easier for you, as I do understand the effects social anxiety can have on a person, especially the severe social anxiety disorder. Hang in there, it's going to be okay.

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
All the hairdressers are closed in Melbourne, we are going full on hippy here over the next few months of lockdown.
1597584571921.png

K

karl7

I am at the point where my hair length is starting to annoy me and I can't maintain it or keep it out of the way. I have a barber within walking distance of my house yet I am too anxious to even leave my front door. I guess if you asked me what I was anxious about I would say, having to walk there and then having to be in the barber shop where there will probably be a bunch of other people. I am also anxious about my voice will sound because it sounds really weak and high pitched when I am nervous. I am normally used to going to a quieter barber but he's a lot farther away and it isn't convenient for me at this time to go there. So I will be going to an unfamiliar environment. I know I can probably do it and I will be proud of myself after but it's always the anxiety beforehand that brings me down and makes me feel like it is going to be impossible. Any words of advice? :/
i dont go to the barbers at all anymore.....i bought a hair trimming set......i can give myself a great haircut......i just use blade 5 around th e back and sides and then blade 8 on mu hair on top......its a real professional job and so easy to do.....i recommend it to you......check out argos, they should sell them

L

LTV1985

Hey.

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. I really didn't want to go to a barbers that was packed full of people. I managed to find another local barber that was taking appointments so I made an appointment and felt much better after I got my hair cut.

Like you say, you know you will feel much better if you accomplish this step. Might be worth trying to go early in the morning, the barbers will be quieter and a good walk in the morning helps clear the mind.

OCDguy

OCDguy

This is going to sound weird, but please hear me out. I saw on Youtube a video where someone claimed your body acts in a certain way when anxious, but it behaves in the same manner when excited. They claimed to tell your Mind that you are infact excited not anxious, and when you have steered your attention to that of excitement, picture in your Mind what you are excited about (in this case it could be a stylish hair cut, or something related), and apparently your Mind if you give it your full commitment will buy it, simply because the physical body state doesn't change. I can say I have tried it, and it does work for me. It might be worth the experiment, what is there to lose, and potentially a lot to gain :)

B

blue spark

This may not interest anybody, but I've been shaving my own head for years, about 4 times a year. Quick and easy.
Thats what i do,i bought some dubbers about ten years ago.Iv'e saved a fortune in barber fees,Number 1 at the back and sides and a number 3 on top.A bit like a peaky blinder cut,same style every month for years.