• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

what best aides you keeping well and stable

S

suki1066

hello everyone, i was looking for some positives, what do you each do to maintain stability? are there any systems you use when you feel a mood shift maybe family support or writting, how excactly do you each cope. i ask as a way to assist my DD and also myself to gain some more understanding, as i try to help her. I have read so many of your stories and i hope to help her gain some sort of support system which she can learn to put into place so she deals with situations, and therefor take a bit more of control. Any thourghts you can share will be helpfull. thankyou jane x

T

TOONAFISH

i found that trying to get a routine helped me a bit. like getting up in the morning at the same time and same at bed time. stopping drinking also has helped me. when i was high i had to try and stay down a bit which was v v hard. i stayed away from the shops with my store cards, stayed out of the pub. i reckon people on here can help you more as ive only been high once (that i know of)

jax

jax

What best has helped me is the support of my Pdoc, CPN and support workers. They are best to detect me going a little high and step in to help me out. Should that mean more support or extra medication. Since I live alone - I have no close family to notice when I was going high. My mum did live with me a lot of years and she would often say I was talking too loud, fast etc and that was often an indicator that I was high.
Jacqui

K

Kat667

creativity helps me. I do a lot of oil paintings and tend to hyperfocus on them but at least it gives me an outlet. I've been learning guitar recently which gives my mind something else to focus on. Crosswords are another one, anything that distracts but exercises my brain. When I'm manic I like to walk in the woods, better if I'm not in social situations in that case because I can scare people a bit by being too 'full on'.

K

kautostar

peace and harmony

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar in 2005 when i was 15yo and i took no notice of this label the professionals have given me, as time went by i started to notice that my normal human behaviour was quite a bit different from everyone else and that i seemed more on edge and quite irritable at times, and over many years through my childhood and youth i was a very badly behaved child-and had a very short attention span, i have had many diagnoses through the years from all sorts of psychiatrists/psychologists etc.
and came to realise that there is no person or pill who can change me and it must be changed by my control and will power! and to answer your question - i have many ways of dealing with stress and anger and they are pretty normal thing which keep me occupied and fairly sane - (exercise , listening to relaxing music , lying down etc.) all these things the doctors recommend but you must search for the one where you feel so relaxed your mind can settle and calm and slow down to the point where your mind is free from fast racing thoughts and any concerns that might be bothering you , keep well and i hope this helps, thanks peace|!

S

skyblue

What's best helped me is also keeping to a routine; bedtimes, waking, eating healthily, no alcohol or drinking in small moderation and exercise. I've joined a gym and attend various aerobic classes, these I believe have helped my mood.

G

ghost989

I've only officially ben diagnosed with rapid BP for a few days but I've been suffering the symptoms for years. I've also found that sticking to a routine helps although if I have to deviate from that routine I get quite intense panic attacks.

I've also found that painting helps as well as creative writing. The only thing with that is that the results can be a little on the dark side. I call it my Dorian Gray time, all the bad thoughts go onto the canvas or onto the page rather than through me.

To my psychiatrists absolute horror I have also spent some time with a hypnotherapist learning deep relaxation techniques. If you can find somewhere quiet to be for even 5 minutes to practice them it can be well worth it.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Thats interesting why didn't the psychiatrist like hypnotherapy because I would have thought like you that deep relaxation would be beneficial.
KP

G

ghost989

Most psyhiatrists react with horror if you mention hypnotherapy, they kind of look on it the same way a surgeon views faith healers...

Personally I'll try anything if there's a chance it will work!

T

triple x

my stabilty

going out or inviting friends up also when i am low music art, peotry and writing in my three diarys - they relase all the negitive feelings. when i am high it is harder but being on my own and using the tele while i am reading.

it might take a while to find stuff to help but just keep trying and i find they dont work all the time and that they will other times

but u find out as u go along.

good luck

hugs and kisses

Last edited:
Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver

To cut out alcohol, it has helped me alot. Im on Prozac at the moment which helps with the depression side of things and stopping the binge drinking has made the difference. I dont get into so much trouble!!:rolleyes: