• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What are your passions and hobbies that you turn to when you're depressed?

C

cathanifrind174

First of all, from experience, when I am in my deepest, darkest parts of depression, I can literally do nothing. But when I am slightly better, I like doing the following things:

1. War strategy video games: I feel like there is negative view of video games. I know video games can become an addiction. But if you ask me what you would love to do if you were paid for it, I'd say video games, especially stragegy games. I'm not very good at these but I enjoy playing Civilization and Europa Universalis
  2. History, Politics and International Relations: A bit related but I always enjoyed history from the time I can remember. I liked it so much that I was so happy when we had history at school. Unfortunately taking up history is not very well seen in India because of the lack of job opportunities. I was however lucky enough to be able to study politics in France. My work however has nothing to do with this, but anyway I love reading about history, politics, IR etc.
  3. Praying in Latin: I know this is not the spirituality section, but I love the extraordinary form of the Catholic Mass, especially the use of Latin litugrically. Again, if I could do one thing for eternity, it would be attending mass in Latin. Love it.

These are three things that first popped into my mind. There are others, but these are the ones I turn when I am really down and I feel I can do nothing else. What are some of your favorite go-to hobbies and passions, especially when you are going through a really bad episode of depression? I am asking this because of some of us have hobbies that are not well known but we really, really enjoy. And my phsyciatrist believes that in addition to mediaction, doing what you like is the best way to overcome depression. I agree. What do you all think?

NewDecember

NewDecember

When I am in it, the best I can do is watch YouTube and Netflix on every wake moment to avoid reality. I don't think that qualify as a hobby, but that is what I do. Also, I buy lots pastries and sweats, take them and take a nap.

I need to develop an Emergency Plan, and a routines I follow no matter how I feel. I have realized it will not go away on its own. It wasn't my wife, and it wasn't my work. This darkness arises out of me on its own, and I have been wasting my life without any help. I can lie down with despair and bitch, I can wish it will go away on its own or I can do something about it.

It was my darkest 3 years ago. I was ever a happy camper, but manageable. It gets worse as I get older. There are more reasons to depress about. Doing the same thing and expecting different result. I must learn to live with this thing.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

First of all, from experience, when I am in my deepest, darkest parts of depression, I can literally do nothing. But when I am slightly better, I like doing the following things:

1. War strategy video games: I feel like there is negative view of video games. I know video games can become an addiction. But if you ask me what you would love to do if you were paid for it, I'd say video games, especially stragegy games. I'm not very good at these but I enjoy playing Civilization and Europa Universalis
  2. History, Politics and International Relations: A bit related but I always enjoyed history from the time I can remember. I liked it so much that I was so happy when we had history at school. Unfortunately taking up history is not very well seen in India because of the lack of job opportunities. I was however lucky enough to be able to study politics in France. My work however has nothing to do with this, but anyway I love reading about history, politics, IR etc.
  3. Praying in Latin: I know this is not the spirituality section, but I love the extraordinary form of the Catholic Mass, especially the use of Latin litugrically. Again, if I could do one thing for eternity, it would be attending mass in Latin. Love it.

These are three things that first popped into my mind. There are others, but these are the ones I turn when I am really down and I feel I can do nothing else. What are some of your favorite go-to hobbies and passions, especially when you are going through a really bad episode of depression? I am asking this because of some of us have hobbies that are not well known but we really, really enjoy. And my phsyciatrist believes that in addition to mediaction, doing what you like is the best way to overcome depression. I agree. What do you all think?
I used to like playing XCOM. That game was a lot of fun. Civilizations on my ipad was good too. Have you heard of Dan Carlins Hardcore History? Its a podcast. The older stuff is a little shorter to listen to in length. My favourite podcast of his was about the Punic Wars. If I was a traveler; I would want to go visit whats left of Carthage.
I try to have a few hobbies going depending on what I am capable of. I might mindlessly busy blocks in Minecraft. I’m pretty nerdy and have a computer capable of running several VMs at once. I like exploring Linux and Raspberry PI stuff. I have a canoe.
And I think its great to have hobbies to combat depression. Just don’t focus on hobbies so much that you ignore your other responsibilities.

Lexara

Lexara

I'm just starting to deal with my depression and couldn't get counselling so far. But what i noticed about myself so far, it depends how bad it gets from day to day how i cope with it.
If i still do basic stuff like cooking or cleaning and just want to silence some negative thoughts i like to listen to podcasts. But if i really need to shut everything out i either read or, if i can't even concentrate on that, watch shows on Netflix or Prime.
I would love to pick up writing again but right now I usually lack the focus to finish anything I write.

pjb15201

pjb15201

Words with friends mark 2, scifi tv and bbc shows

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

There were a lot of things i liked doing to distract me or give me a sense of motivation, but every one of them seems to have been taken away by my ever-multiplying physical symptoms. Almost as if someone was watching and sticking pins in a voodoo doll of me, in order to take each one away in turn. I could go through and list each in turn and the physical dysfunction that made them impossible or unpleasant. Consequently, I really don't do anything much now.

It makes me quite angry, but where do I direct that anger?

C

cathanifrind174

When I am in it, the best I can do is watch YouTube and Netflix on every wake moment to avoid reality. I don't think that qualify as a hobby, but that is what I do. Also, I buy lots pastries and sweats, take them and take a nap.

I need to develop an Emergency Plan, and a routines I follow no matter how I feel. I have realized it will not go away on its own. It wasn't my wife, and it wasn't my work. This darkness arises out of me on its own, and I have been wasting my life without any help. I can lie down with despair and bitch, I can wish it will go away on its own or I can do something about it.

It was my darkest 3 years ago. I was ever a happy camper, but manageable. It gets worse as I get older. There are more reasons to depress about. Doing the same thing and expecting different result. I must learn to live with this thing.
I can understand. When I try to do useful things, I develop anxiety and related symptoms so it's not very useful. I force myself to cook, clean, brush my teeth, take a shower etc. but other than that I feel quite exhausted. I'm not into films, so I never watch Netflix but YouTube, yes, sometimes I watch a lot of pretty useless videos.

C

cathanifrind174

I used to like playing XCOM. That game was a lot of fun. Civilizations on my ipad was good too. Have you heard of Dan Carlins Hardcore History? Its a podcast. The older stuff is a little shorter to listen to in length. My favourite podcast of his was about the Punic Wars. If I was a traveler; I would want to go visit whats left of Carthage.
I try to have a few hobbies going depending on what I am capable of. I might mindlessly busy blocks in Minecraft. I’m pretty nerdy and have a computer capable of running several VMs at once. I like exploring Linux and Raspberry PI stuff. I have a canoe.
And I think its great to have hobbies to combat depression. Just don’t focus on hobbies so much that you ignore your other responsibilities.
I had never heard about Dan Carlin's hardcore history. Will definitely try it out. I listen to BBC's In Our Time podcast series. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

I totally agree about not ignoring your responsiblities or something becoming an addiction. Also, I have some hobbies that are not great for depression or anxiety like chess, because I'm quite sad when I lose and put a lot of pressure on myself. I also love board games, but for the last six months I've been living alone, so playing less of it (and there is the pandemic).

I also enjoyed travelling and playing squash. Obviously not an option during Covid. Squash is the only sport I play well and I'm not as quite interested in other forms of physical activity although I know for my physical and mental health, I need more exercise.

C

cathanifrind174

There were a lot of things i liked doing to distract me or give me a sense of motivation, but every one of them seems to have been taken away by my ever-multiplying physical symptoms. Almost as if someone was watching and sticking pins in a voodoo doll of me, in order to take each one away in turn. I could go through and list each in turn and the physical dysfunction that made them impossible or unpleasant. Consequently, I really don't do anything much now.

I am so sorry to hear that. Must be really hard. Never had super physical symptoms of depression but when I am really really down, I can't muster enough courage to do anything, not even brush my teeth, let alone engage in a hobby. I try to delay going to the toilet till the very last minute and spend all the time in my bed. But thankfully it's getting better and I'm starting to enjoy a few things again.

Though I must say, as a city-dweller with a small apartment, it's really hard to find insspiration from the outside world. Can't wait for the lockdowns to end so that I can go out into the nature and explore.

C

cathanifrind174

I'm just starting to deal with my depression and couldn't get counselling so far. But what i noticed about myself so far, it depends how bad it gets from day to day how i cope with it.
If i still do basic stuff like cooking or cleaning and just want to silence some negative thoughts i like to listen to podcasts. But if i really need to shut everything out i either read or, if i can't even concentrate on that, watch shows on Netflix or Prime.
I would love to pick up writing again but right now I usually lack the focus to finish anything I write.
Writing can be good. I love writing. And it's actually my job. I work as an editorial consultant in a comms agency. But it's really hard to write when you're depressed and it feels like a chore and most of my writing in depression is sad poems.

I am not a big fan of cooking and cleaning, however I know it helps. I love doing the dishes though. I find it therapeutic. I am not really into movies but I enjoy watching random videos on YouTube. Watching videos is the easiest thing to do when I'm really exhausted.

tartan extreme

tartan extreme

The most therapeutic thing for me, by a long long way, has been music. Particularly dark ambient music. Anything that helps immerse me in a dark, still, calm environment.

Computer games help as well. Mostly games that place me or my character in a similar atmosphere, in the past these have been games like Quake, Tomb Raider, Minecraft etc. Recently I have been playing a lot of Skyrim and spend my time wandering round the dungeons there. I can do that for ages, they are very beautiful and calming, especially some of the mods.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide

Do you read? You can listen to books on tape if that is easier, maybe that will help?