What are your main symptoms?

N

Nixieplonx

I was diagnosed bipolar 8 years ago. I think I've slipped onto the schizophrenic spectrum. My partner has schizoaffective disorder, his mum has "psychotic depression" (but it's clearly the same illness as my partner). My mum had schizophrenia and my brother - erm, clearly undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia bless him.

Anyway, I think I've slipped onto the spectrum, whether that be nature or nurture (not literally, I mean that living with schizophrenic illness might have a psychosocial impact). I've asked for a referral back to CMHT today, my meds need reviewing whether my diagnosis has changed or not.

I'd just like to ask you all what your experiences and symptoms of schizoaffective disorder are? I totally get the mood changes and anxiety (i.e. the affective disorder bit) but I have only a little insight into how the schizophrenia / psychosis symptoms would change a diagnosis from bipolar, a lot of them are so similar? I gather from observing my family that paranoia and obsessions are a big part of it (guilt myself at times, harmless and nothing life-changing though), and my partner just goes off into his own world if faced with any major stress (i.e. me being at all unwell - I never tell him these days because he doesn't seem to cope with it).

I am definitely living with the negative symptoms of schizophrenia if you read the textbook diagnoses but not sure whether I'm losing the plot further than bipolar or whether it's just because of the people who are and have been in my life (the nurture rather than nature, so to speak).

I'd be very grateful if you could share your stories and how schizoaffective disorder affects you? I would hate to miss an opportunity to be correctly diagnosed if it's necessary, but I would also hate to think the psychiatrist thinks I'm a hypochondriac.

Thanks very much in advance, all replies will be gratefully received!

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

My main issues now are depression, anxiety and hallucinations. The depression is mainly situational, whereas the anxiety is linked to paranoia. The hallucinations don't tend to bother me too much - I can usually quickly recognise them for what they are.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective, depressive type for 10 years. I definitely had psychotic symptoms and depression. Supposedly you must have psychotic symptoms for a certain period of time without any symptoms of depression or mania to be diagnosed schizoaffective, but you have the depressive or manic symptoms for the majority of the illness. Otherwise one is diagnosed depression with psychosis or bipolar with psychosis if you only have the psychosis when you are depressed or manic.

So I can't remember how long ago in the past, most of my depression went away after I stopped taking an antidepressant med. Then years went by with mostly no depression. Then my doctor and I decided I didn't have depression for years and it was negative symptoms of schizophrenia, so she re-diagnosed me with schizophrenia.

N

natalie

I have always from 2007 been certified as having szchiophrenia. My main symptons are hearing voices, hallucinations if any, paranoia. I also do have travel anxiety, that's probably something separate.

I happen to be very well though, though I say that, I'll be away on holiday/vacation soon, and currently I have had mental health szchiophrenia based issues acting up before I go, with parents. This is mainly paranoia, I have a problem with and also sensitivity.

How do i treat? Simple, on medication at 25ml, and also I'll listen to musicals and music and knitting combined, and, I'll workout to my fitness dvds in at home, and after the hols, all being well, I plan to workout in zumba gold groups.

I would aim, to go back to your General doctor in the first instance, and seek a 2nd opinon referral from a different entire pshychartrist, that's what I would do.

Best wishes.

N

Nixieplonx

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, hope you are well at the moment :grouphug:

N

natalie

Hi Nixiepionx,

I must say, I have to agree with your motto, I always feel myself, not to look into the past, unless for some reason, and hopefully happier planning in a near future. I always do, live in the present.

So I do very much agree with what you are saying about depression. And anxity, though I suffer with travel anxiety. I suffer very easily with travel anxiety which reminds me I need to take my Pregablin for anxiety, and I then therfore, I can't enjoy a holidy trip, previously in the past.

Now, very much better with Pregabalin.

Best Wishes,

Natalie.

fazza

fazza

Voices. No matter what I take it only works for a few months then they start creeping back in. I have been voice free since Feb but right now things are pretty bad.
Like a constant wheel of doom. Just when you think you are winning the slap in the face of schizophrenia brings me spinning back down to earth.
I keep finding solutions to this illness only to be begging the cmht to help only days after telling them I am OK.
Cycle of hell.
Been this way since I was a kid. I am 45 now and running out of patience.

N

Nixieplonx

Good grief, that sounds awful, Fazza. I SO wish I could make that better for you, I've only rarely heard voices. Must be literally a nightmare :cry2::scratcheshead::hug1: Thanks for telling me, much appreciated. Hope you're taking care of yourself X

N

natalie

Small recorrection, I meant to have put; which reminds me, I need to take a dose of my anti anxiety med, so that hopefully, I can then enjoy the thought of looking forward to, and enjoying soon to be next week ! t he holiday/vacation.

N

Nixieplonx

Hope you're going somewhere nice and your anxiety symptoms are managed. Have a lovely holiday, Nat! :cool:

Moonshadow

Moonshadow

I was diagnosed with this disorder recently. I have had auditory hallucinations nonstop for a decade although if I leave them alone they stay in the background.

I’m finally really facing my delusions which is scary but exciting. After this last breakdown it’s been the end of the road for me. I turned into a fucking monster and I’m ashamed of myself. Somethings gotta change.

I think I have a major hormone imbalance honestly. That started it all.

Moonshadow

Moonshadow

I’m sorry fazza. That must be extraordinarily rough. If it means anything to you, I admire you for what you’ve experienced in this life. It takes a warrior

L

Lightanddark

Same I was diagnosed bipolar to 19 years ago then re diagnosed schizoaffective. My main problems are depression. Hearing voices

S

sanjay

Hi, I was initially diagnosed with schizophrenia but this was changed to schizoaffective disorder soon afterwards. These days I sometimes hear voices, am paranoid and struggle with anxiety. I have good spells although still isolated. I used to get months of depression but this hasn't happened for about 3 years.

L

Lightanddark

Hi, I was initially diagnosed with schizophrenia but this was changed to schizoaffective disorder soon afterwards. These days I sometimes hear voices, am paranoid and struggle with anxiety. I have good spells although still isolated. I used to get months of depression but this hasn't happened for about 3 years.
What meds u on? I take lithium for mood. Haloperidol which works wonders

L

Lightanddark

What meds u on? I take lithium for mood. Haloperidol which works wonders. But has caused me to have high prolactin which is very high. And a small dose of anti depressants.
Sorry to hear that. I used to have the voices come and go. But I haven’t heArd them for a while.

EddieH

EddieH

Hey @sanjay I think we have pretty similar diagnose. Started as schizophrenia then to schizoaffective. Been getting a bit of mania here and there and still here things, usually people abusing me and am pretty paranoid. I am battling an ocd issue which is the worst of it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Schizoaffective Forum 13