• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What are your depression tips?

G

Golden

When I'm depressed I'm not hungry. I eat toast with pate and nibble. I drink bottled smoothies. I drink milkly hot choc with marshmallows. I feel cold so I put the heating on. I need comfort so I have a blanket on the chair. It reminds me I'm not well. I buy myself cheap flowers to remind me I'm not well. This helps me to not criticise myself. I don't like noise so I have silence some of the day. I light a candle and put the lamp on even in the day. I do everything slowly but I do keep trying to do things like take the rubbish out. I write letters. I write in my journal/book. I find writing about past depressions easier when depressed. When manic I can write about past manic times. I eat what I fancy like biscuits and tea. I watch much loved films. I mood chart every day. I try to remember in the evening I will feel better. Music can make me suicidal so that stays off. It do dissociate into dream land and allow this for a short while only.

Apravo

Apravo

I walk or cycle, I go for a drive, I sit a baby on my lap (my little niece or nephew), I stroke a cat, I look into charity work, I do something nice for someone, I think of those worse off than me.

G

Golden

I eat in the evening and tidy up because the next day I will not be able to do anything much.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

For me it's about dealing with my depression, addiction and OCD/anxiety.

I am recently playing football. I also listen to music but it hasn't help in regard to the addiction and OCD.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I'm splitting the day up into hours, if I can just make it to the next hour, I'll be ok x

G

Golden

I'm a liverpool supporter. I had a crush on Ryan Giggs but am not impressed with his recent infidelity. Can't stand that.

Getting through an hour at a time is the way to go. I'm not depressed at the momeny but having some problems so I'm going with my instincts each day.

C

Caro5

Make sure I get up, remind myself it will get better, try not to over analyse and try to be kind to myself and try not to think too far ahead. Remind myself to breathe and avoid thinking about how much nicer it would be not to be here 'coz that can't happen as too many people would be hurt.

G

Golden

Do not entertain thoughts of quitting life. How do you gain pleasure from watching ducks when there is a veil between you? When that veil is sound proof? When you are too tired and just want to go home? I like the bath and candle. I can't feel much else. Food has no pleasure. Watching tv is not that much either. My bed is nice but my thinking is sad. I'm seeing my mum and little sister tomorrow. It'll be nice. My sister is a beauty therapist so she pampers me a bit.

I'm tired. My arms ache. I want to read but I'm sleepy but I might not sleep as mind whirring.

G

Golden

Are there any more tips? I need some.

U

UMPALUMPA

1. I always make my bed in the Morning however low I am, I kinda think if I do just one thing positive it might start the day off with a chance.

2. Try to keep busy, having a destraction can stop the dampen the Negative thinking ( sometimes )

I am no guru on the subject depression is shit for anyone.

jenjen

jenjen

I am trying different supplements. And exercise right now. Diet changes. Im here reading all your posts, which helps....Really feeling alone lately. Even with people around, there is the alone feeling. Sometimes the supplements work, sometimes they don't. Heck il settle for a placebo affect, i don't even care. Anything. My latest buy yesterday and taken today was my first try at Gingko Biloba. I may go get something I tried before an liked called Neuro PS. Also, Sam-E is helpful sometimes. but too expensive and hard on the stomach since they recommend taking it on an empty stomach for best results. I am getting into a run on treadmill habit I hope, since in the past the runners high has helped me much. I have had problems with migraines a lot lately -not sure what is up with this sudden onset of depression plus migraine. I'd love to hear about anyone else's supplement tries. I do not want to go on to a pharmaceutical as I like to be in control of what I take.

L

Lancaster Sam

Personally i make sure i brush my teeth and run myself a bath, even if it feels like a lot of effort as it keeps me clean and reasonably presentable. Depending on how bad i feel i also try to contact friends and spend time with them, as it helps pass time by :)

G

Golden

I am trying different supplements. And exercise right now. Diet changes. Im here reading all your posts, which helps....Really feeling alone lately. Even with people around, there is the alone feeling. Sometimes the supplements work, sometimes they don't. Heck il settle for a placebo affect, i don't even care. Anything. My latest buy yesterday and taken today was my first try at Gingko Biloba. I may go get something I tried before an liked called Neuro PS. Also, Sam-E is helpful sometimes. but too expensive and hard on the stomach since they recommend taking it on an empty stomach for best results. I am getting into a run on treadmill habit I hope, since in the past the runners high has helped me much. I have had problems with migraines a lot lately -not sure what is up with this sudden onset of depression plus migraine. I'd love to hear about anyone else's supplement tries. I do not want to go on to a pharmaceutical as I like to be in control of what I take.
All you need is a good multivitamin and omega 3. Plus a good diet and exercise regime. Walking and swimming are fine when depressed. I have massages sometimes and hair cut with head massage. Zoo animals help. I go on my own sometimes. With dla I can get discounted entry. Chores. My depression is easing I think although I cry a lot do I'm not sure.

Apravo

Apravo

I have just been sat in a really quiet Italian restaurant off Main Street of Galway in Ireland, It was so peaceful, like being in an underground cave, away from everything, it has lifted my mood, even though I was on my own.