What are you taking? Depression.

A

Athena

I am almost out of options. There are some new mood stabilisers around now and some used more in certain countries. What options do i have now? My current one i have been taking for three years at this amount and it is not helping my depressions anymore. I am also having problems with my blood count or something i cannot understand but may not be able to take it for much longer. I hate the antipsychotics because of weigh gain mostly. Any ideas?

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I'm taking Vitamin D and have noticed definite improvement in stability and general mood.

I have been labelled Chronically Depressed so this is really quite an achievement.

J

Jax's Mom

I certainly don't have answers (similar questions), but I find this interesting. I had my WORST depressive episode 6 months ago. My "regular" psychiatrist was not doing (ever) the blood tests required for the meds that I was taking. When I finally insisted on an appointment out of desperation, the nurse practitioner ordered blood tests. (I was taking Lithium at the time). My blood count was so low that I required transfusions. Interestingly enough...a blood count that low can mimic/exacerbate the symptoms of severe depression (including confusion, fatigue, loss of memory). I immediately began taking oral (liquid) iron supplements. My depression became even worse (requiring hospitalization and then a suicide attempt). In ALL of this, my meds were never changed. The "answer" was a hysterectomy. Well...my hemoglobin is still at dangerous levels, and the experts never changed my meds (excepts the benzos which are what I overdosed on).
If you are having issues with your blood count, you need to get that figured out in addition to adjusting your meds.
Odd hemo numbers are not only important for regulating medication...they can very possibly indicate an entirely different problem. Please pursue that diligently. It is nothing to mess with.

6ofusathome

I take 300mg Wellbutrin in the morning and then take 400mg of Quetiapine at bedtime. The weight gain was pretty bad so now I take metformin with breakfast and supper and that has helped SO much with the weight. I have lost weight, I feel full sooner and I don't get the quetiapine evening munchies as much.

And depression was my main problem. Hypomania wasn't really a concerning factor when I sought help.

S

spiritfriend

I take Effexor and Klonopin for my anxiety.
And I take Latuda and Seroquel for my schizophrenia and depression. Seroquel is mostly there to help me sleep, though.
But I'm switching from Latuda to Vraylar because Latuda hasn't been helping much with my depression. But it helped with my paranoia.
Anyway, I hope you find the right kind of medication. I understand how tough it can be with the side effects and everything. Make sure to get everything checked and taken care of. Good luck!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
i take lithium ,quetiapine ,fluvoxamine and depixol injection all to help with my range of MH problems
they help a little a guess i just wish there was a magic cure xx

I

Izera

I take Lamictal for my mood swings and hypomania, Seroquel to keep the delusions away and desipramine for the depression.

If the mood stabilizers aren't keeping away the depression, you may need an antidepressant. Definitely pair it with a good mood stabilizer though.

But has anyone checked your thyroid? The doctors I've had over the years, I say the D word and the first words out of the doctor's mouth is "Let's test your thyroid."

V

Verbena

I take lamotrigine and quetiapine. I feel depressed all of the time. Lamotrigine alone was making my moods wild.

S

starfish

Verbena you sound just like me , taking an anti depressent and an anti psychotic and still depressed! I've been depressed now for 12 years severly at first, then getting very slowly a bit better, but never well. I've recently ordered myself some Vitamin D, as I seldom get out, and I'm hoping they will help.:hug:

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I'm taking exercise these days.

And a bit of MMJ.

oh of course the supplements and self care and good eating and all that stuff.

But meds are Not the Answer for Depression, IMHO. Certainly not long term.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

in between drugs at the m0 due t0 them causing seri0us adverse reacti0n. s0 s0meh0w i am g0nna get thr0ugh chrimb0:eek:

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

in between drugs at the m0 due t0 them causing seri0us adverse reacti0n. s0 s0meh0w i am g0nna get thr0ugh chrimb0:eek:
Here rooting for you black :hug:

(rooting in the American way, not the Australian way lol)

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Here rooting for you black :hug:

(rooting in the American way, not the Australian way lol)
eeh dunno the compare n contrast with the us n aus. but thanks anywayz. stuffed myself with buffet food today which saves me the botha of tea as i am bloated now phhhhrp!

V

Verbena

Verbena you sound just like me , taking an anti depressent and an anti psychotic and still depressed! I've been depressed now for 12 years severly at first, then getting very slowly a bit better, but never well. I've recently ordered myself some Vitamin D, as I seldom get out, and I'm hoping they will help.:hug:
I was being pessimistic there but it does feel like i am even though i am not. I expected to be normal with medication but that is not the case. I think people forget that it does not make you like you were before but only takes the edge off of whatever symptoms plague you.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I take haldol, cogentin, Zoloft, vistaril, trazodone, and lamictal. Seems a bit much but I do seem to be doing a bit better.