• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What are you good at?

amathus

amathus

What do you love doing? What activities can you lose yourself in? What did you love doing in the past? Enjoying yourself helps beat stress. Doing an activity you enjoy probably means you’re good at it and achieving something boosts your self-esteem.

(mental health foundation)

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I always loved football but don't play anymore. I used to go in a goal a lot because at least I was my own boss!!

I enjoy mucking around with bits of silver.
I love computer programming but don't have an active project at the minute. maybe could think of one.

R

Rose19602

I loved teaching, but it gave me up!

I'm good with clothes and putting outfits together ...and also good with putting furniture, soft furnishings and interiors together.... bit shallow, I know.

I like writing ... hubby always says I should write a book!....doubt I will....but I need to communicate somehow.

I have lots of ideas and am quite a creative thinker....I used to enjoy designing courses and being given a lot of autonomy to do my own thing. I hate being pinned down, restricted and micro-managed.

Currently I enjoy painting old furniture and giving it a new look.
I like cooking interesting food and experimenting in the kitchen.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I loved teaching, but it gave me up!
Same here...

I like writing
Me too...

I have lots of ideas and am quite a creative thinker
Me too!

Are we twins separated at birth?

I like designing houses. I use a program called 'Home Designer Essentials' which has its limitations but it does give you 3D rendering. This grew out of my frustration with the stupid design of many new houses and also because I've never really owned a living space of my own that I could do anything I wanted with - so I design my perfect space virtually.

R

Rose19602

Ha....don't think so!
That house designing programme sounds interesting!
I agree with you completely about new house designs...although they're getting better....if you avoid the mass produced ones...pricey though!
I like old houses and pretty English gardens with roses....my gardening is improving....but my back doesn't like it!

amathus

amathus

Teaching gave up on me too..triplets! I was always on the creative side, which was a bonus when working with year 2's a lot of that has faded now though. I am trying to get in to photography with the help of the support services, it has always interested me. Just need to summon up more motivation I think.

M

mooncat

strange but true facts.Although most people would say "useless information again"...
And conecting with proper wild animals.creating a friendship with them.Makes me feel good anyway...

A

akg69

I'm fantastic at self loathing and getting drunk, does that count? Erm, on a serious note, I am quite a creative person but my sever lack of confidence has seen me give up everything I have ever had passion for - music (I used to play guitar and rap in bands) and photography. I love photography but I haven't picked up my camera now in over a year :(

I give up on everything because I always think I'm not good enough and over critisise my work.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm good at listening to people and caring about them. Also caring for animals.

As far as any practical skill is concerned... erm.. :(

S

soulblazer

I enjoy drawing. Once I made a drawing of my deceased grandmother for my mom, but I coudn't complete it. I had to make it several times, from scratch, since I have experience drawing trees, mountains, anime, but I had never drawn a real human face. In the end, my 4th attempt was looking great, and I accidentaly spilled strawberry juice over it. 5 hours to draw just her face in the only decently looking attempt and got ruined on 5 seconds :mad:

But I'll try to draw her again for her birthday and this time the drawing will get framed and everything!

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
I'm good at noticing the small details in things

R

Rose19602

I'm good at noticing the small details in things
Ah....now that's a talent that's missing in my repertoire for sure!
I'm married to someone like you, and you have no idea how useful it is to have someone like that around.

In fact, in terms of industry and jobs, I think it's a very useful skill. There are so many instances where the detail / small print really matter and people like you come into their own!

x

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
Awww, thanks MissKitty :)