• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

what are the signs my SO is becoming manic?

S

steled

hello - Ive moved in with my GF who has a diagnosis of bipolar. What changes would i notice if shes entering into a manic phase? Thank you

claude

claude

that would depend on her, everyone is different. I would suggest you talk to her, ask her if there are things you should look out for and how you would best be able to support her if she was to become unwell. She might be nervous about getting unwell again too, I always fear it, but if i was here I would also feel very sad if i felt that a loved one was monitoring me without talking to me, so be sensitive, i imagine the conversation would be sensitive for you both. So be kind and patient and I wish you both the best

S

Skynet

hello - Ive moved in with my GF who has a diagnosis of bipolar. What changes would i notice if shes entering into a manic phase? Thank you
The most salient symptom of mania is that the person seems way too happy. There is also a reduced need for sleep. The person also feels more creative and is more talkative. I've read that people sometimes go on spending sprees but this hasn't happened to me in my manic phases.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Bi polar can go one of two ways, depression and mania. Depression is the easier to notice. You will find her becoming reclusive not want to go out, maybe crying. But it can be darker with self harm which can be very dangerous. The mania phase would take you longer to understand. She may just have more energy lack of sleep, spending excessively , becoming very productive ,. I decorated a large lounge overnight, but unfortunately painted the carpet as well. Don’t think that all of this will happen she could well only have one of the symptoms. But make sure you have the phone number of her p/doc CPN . And also if she is very bad phone 111 and say she is under theMH team and they will get a professional to speak to you.

S

Snirexx

I agree with claude. Everyone has their own signs. It's be nice of you to ask also cos it shows you really care.

M

megirl

Do they have bipolar 1 or bipolar 2?
With bipolar2 you don't tend to get the full on mania. But still the hypomania for me is lack of sleep, doing things 100 miles an hour. Elated but also with agitation.
The thing you would know is your partner is just not them self.
Good idea to sit down and have a chat.
As we are all different.