• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What are the best conversation starters?

B

brightyellow

It would be helpful for people with social anxiety to know some conversation starters to avoid silence and awkward moments.

P

personindistress

I think asking one about pets is a great one like "Do you have any pets?". If they have a pet, you can ask about the animal they have. But if they don't, then you can ask whether they want a pet or not, what they would like, etc.

sab

sab

Getting to know other person, what they like, their hobby or something like that.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Here are ideas although they may not be helpful.
How are you today?
What kind of things do you like to watch?
Do you enjoy travelling?
Have you read any good books lately?
What is your favourite type of food?

T

tracyyewdale

I think asking one about pets is a great one like "Do you have any pets?". If they have a pet, you can ask about the animal they have. But if they don't, then you can ask whether they want a pet or not, what they would like, etc.
Start with a broad topic like what @personindistress said. From there you could do followup questions. Don't ask as if you have a list 'cause it would sound like you've memorized it. Never talk about religion, politics, or race. They're really argumentative at times.

Movies would be nice or a trending series perhaps.

A

Am33

Talk from your heart and people will respond to you .

P

Purpleplum

Depends on the situation you're in.

Examples:
Meeting a new date: "so, are you from around this area?"
At work: "have any fun plans this weekend?"
With friends: "What have you been up to lately?"

You sometimes have to read people's body language before you start a conversation to see if they are open to talking or not.

B

brightyellow

Thanks for all your response guys! I get what you all mean.

and yeah this too...

Talk from your heart and people will respond to you .

K

karl7

i like to open chat with did you see the football match last night.....what did you think of it

also i usually have this one up my sleeve "have you been on any vacations .....where have you been.....where would you like to go, etc

whats been your favorite vacation or worst.......i think chat about vacations is interesting

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Social Anxiety Forum 5