• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

what are the benefits of pursuing an ASD diagnosis?

E

emmaleemochizuki

my consultant thinks I might have ASD, and I don't know if I should discuss it further.

what are the benefits of ASD diagnosis?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i guess you may get more support/or more support taylored to your specific needs?
i would want to know if it were me and it may help with your benefits
let us know how it goes? x Lu x

Marmalade

Marmalade

I'd say go for it! Definitely! Why? Because I did so myself, 6 years ago. I got the diagnosis of Asperger's and ADHD, and it finally enabled me to make sense of my life. At last, now, I know the cause of my mental health problems and get the appropriate treatment. Before that, I was just being diagnosed with mental health problems and treated for those - which was entirely inappropriate. Too many people get diagnosed on the mental health symptoms, rather than the ASC cause. There is more understanding about ASC now - but the mental health sector is still, in many ways, largely ignorant - and committed to old ways of dealing with mental health. ASC is NOT a mental health condition. But it causes them.

C

CaptainSpocksSock

As Marmalade, having the diagnosis helped me make sense of my life, decisions made (good or bad) started to make a little bit of sense and also understanding the reasons why people never really understood me, or getting upset because I could not understand why people did think in the same why my brain did because to me it made absolute sense !!

Marmalade

Marmalade

Agree with CaptainSpockSock. If you decide to go down that route, you need to be insistent with your GP. Don't take 'no' for an answer. Get your consultant to write a letter of confirmation about their views. You have a right to this diagnosis, under the Autism Act 2009, so you shouldn't be refused. I waited just over 2 years from initial referral to diagnosis - with ADHD added on. That diagnosis will help you to get appropriate support, and MH support is often not entirely appropriate. For example, most anti-depressant medication is formulated for a neurotypical mental template - and the neurodiverse mental template, as the word implies, is quite different. A Windows operating system against an Apple or Linux system: they do the same job, but in entirely different ways.