• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What are the basic things you do to help when depressed?

C

Chance87

Hello, I haven't posted here before.

I'm in a depressive episode right now. I need to go back to the basics, I think. Pretend I don't know how to cope and start fresh with learning. So, what are some basic things you do to help when depressed? How do I pull myself out of this?

Oliver2019

Oliver2019

I am coming out of a depressive episode today. It lasted 3 horrible days. Things I did to get through those days (and other longer depressive episodes): I continued my morning routine of walking. I definitely didn't want to, but I knew it would help me. I did my few morning chores (didn't want to, but did it), showered and washed my hair. I read my book, having to re-read sentences paragraphs two of more times because I couldn't concentrate. I reached out to my therapist with some texts. I talked to my supportive best friend. I did a little on a puzzle. I meditated. Watched some Netflex. I enjoyed doing none of these things, but did them anyway. I cried a lot.

NONE of the things I did helped the depression, but if I did nothing (as I have in the past), the depression would get worse. I could congratulate myself that I did accomplish something each day and I was proud I survived another day.

I don't know if any of this will help you. But I have suffered this depresssion/anxiety 40 years (I'm 72). I sincerely understand how you are feeling, although each of us has our version of how the depression affects us. Just reaching out to you. Sending you hugs and support from Florida.

🤗

C

Chance87

I am coming out of a depressive episode today. It lasted 3 horrible days. Things I did to get through those days (and other longer depressive episodes): I continued my morning routine of walking. I definitely didn't want to, but I knew it would help me. I did my few morning chores (didn't want to, but did it), showered and washed my hair. I read my book, having to re-read sentences paragraphs two of more times because I couldn't concentrate. I reached out to my therapist with some texts. I talked to my supportive best friend. I did a little on a puzzle. I meditated. Watched some Netflex. I enjoyed doing none of these things, but did them anyway. I cried a lot.

NONE of the things I did helped the depression, but if I did nothing (as I have in the past), the depression would get worse. I could congratulate myself that I did accomplish something each day and I was proud I survived another day.

I don't know if any of this will help you. But I have suffered this depresssion/anxiety 40 years (I'm 72). I sincerely understand how you are feeling, although each of us has our version of how the depression affects us. Just reaching out to you. Sending you hugs and support from Florida.

🤗

Thanks, that did help. I need to try to remember that the depression will pass. I might not be able to stop it, but I can keep it from getting worse.

Oliver2019

Oliver2019

Thanks, that did help. I need to try to remember that the depression will pass. I might not be able to stop it, but I can keep it from getting worse.

That is exactly what my therapist says: this will pass, you'll get through it again, just keep doing and trying. So maybe my tries are helping me to not sink lower to the bottom of the black pit. I hope so.

hang in there with me . . . it has to get better. sending hugs to you from Florida.

C

Chance87

I talked to my therapist tonight and came to the realization that this really is just my life. I'm going to go through this, because I have depression. But it always passes, all I can do is keep moving forward and doing things that make me feel good.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Former member

I'm in a depressive episode right now. I need to go back to the basics, I think. Pretend I don't know how to cope and start fresh with learning. So, what are some basic things you do to help when depressed? How do I pull myself out of this?

Clinical depression needs to be fought on several fronts: good balanced diet, sufficient sleep/rest, regular exercise, therapy, deep-breathing meditation (especially important if you suffer from anxiety/depression) and then there are good prescription medications you can take. You need to see a GP or Psychiatrist to get prescribed for one, but they have some really good medication which they didn't have 30-40 years ago. It's not a panacea, but it can take the edge off while you're working on the other things.

In addition to this you also need to avoid abusing alcohol and street drugs, which can make depression worse.

I've battled clinical depression since I was 12 years old and I'm 66 today. When I got away from the above items is when I usually had episodes of deep depression. There is no cure for clinical depression, but there is a process which can help you keep it under control and the above is a good start. Best of luck.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Former member
I talked to my therapist tonight and came to the realization that this really is just my life. I'm going to go through this, because I have depression. But it always passes, all I can do is keep moving forward and doing things that make me feel good.

Douglas Bloch has some really good YouTube videos on his lifelong battle with depression which I've found really helpful. You can do a YouTube search under his name to find them. He's been through some bad depressive episodes so he has good insights and coping techniques. When I'm having a 'down' period I often watch his videos-it makes me feel better to understand clinical depression is a common affliction and many have battled it-and made it through OK. You are not alone, not by a longshot.

M

Mistral

What I do is have patience. I do things that I know will not make my depression worse. That often means doing things that are maybe boring or uncomfortable at the time, but I know that after a little while the depression episode will be over.

C

Chance87

Douglas Bloch has some really good YouTube videos on his lifelong battle with depression which I've found really helpful. You can do a YouTube search under his name to find them. He's been through some bad depressive episodes so he has good insights and coping techniques. When I'm having a 'down' period I often watch his videos-it makes me feel better to understand clinical depression is a common affliction and many have battled it-and made it through OK. You are not alone, not by a longshot.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

C

Chance87

What I do is have patience. I do things that I know will not make my depression worse. That often means doing things that are maybe boring or uncomfortable at the time, but I know that after a little while the depression episode will be over.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I need more patience, I struggle with instant gratification. I'm starting to pay more attention to the things that keep me going, even if they aren't exciting when I'm depressed.

C

Comorbidity

I get it differently because I'm bipolar and don't get it often, but when I did get it I'd usually revert to something of a child like state, watch nature programs or Harry Potter movies, then I'd progress to trying to do things I'd usually do or enjoy that had some goal related activity, to see if over time, building up slowly doing it, I could reignite the spark of gaining pleasure from any small goal. Then I'd take myself out alone, to a place with music I really liked, to be around people and watch them rather than be with them, I always found songs I knew that were absolute tunes, because my subconscious knew them from my childhood that were before my time best, then I'd usually have an incredible euphoric episode around the music and people and keep going to that night to repeat it until I was better and healed

T

Tictac18

Hey Chance 87

I just been diagnosed with depression. I just recently just joined this forum and it has helped me lots. I understand were you are coming from about coping and starting afresh. Times when I can't sleep I sit outside and sit in my garden and look at the stars. Where there dark there also light. Sometimes I stay up and watch the sunrise.
My therapist is teaching me to how to live with my depression. Focus on the values in my life. If you ever want to chat. I'm always here to listen.

C

Chance87

Hey Chance 87

I just been diagnosed with depression. I just recently just joined this forum and it has helped me lots. I understand were you are coming from about coping and starting afresh. Times when I can't sleep I sit outside and sit in my garden and look at the stars. Where there dark there also light. Sometimes I stay up and watch the sunrise.
My therapist is teaching me to how to live with my depression. Focus on the values in my life. If you ever want to chat. I'm always here to listen.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you're able to find some relief from your depression ❤

C

Chance87

I get it differently because I'm bipolar and don't get it often, but when I did get it I'd usually revert to something of a child like state, watch nature programs or Harry Potter movies, then I'd progress to trying to do things I'd usually do or enjoy that had some goal related activity, to see if over time, building up slowly doing it, I could reignite the spark of gaining pleasure from any small goal. Then I'd take myself out alone, to a place with music I really liked, to be around people and watch them rather than be with them, I always found songs I knew that were absolute tunes, because my subconscious knew them from my childhood that were before my time best, then I'd usually have an incredible euphoric episode around the music and people and keep going to that night to repeat it until I was better and healed

Thanks, I've been focusing on just doing things that might give me pleasure when I'm down. It might feel pointless in the moment, but in the long run I feel better.

C

Comorbidity

Thanks, I've been focusing on just doing things that might give me pleasure when I'm down. It might feel pointless in the moment, but in the long run I feel better.

Good, I really hope it works for you, and try and take a sense of achievement from doing those things when you really didn't feel like it if you possibly can. It will get better, if there are physical things that you usually do, like walking for example, the endorphins from exercise also help, however much a struggle to motivate yourself to do them it is.

I've always found the going out to somewhere to be around people rather than with them useful, it's a cognitive thing if you choose somewhere with music you usually enjoy, it can provide a stimulus seeing other people up and dancing and enjoying the music as you usually would, kind of like putting a finger in your head and giving your conscious and subconscious a nudge or tickle reminding them, if that makes sense

Try really focusing on the music and different parts of it in isolation too, the bass, the drums, the vocals, the guitar etc and jumping from one to another at the best bits of each, I don't really know why that helps me, but it really does