• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What are signs of depression?

R

Rider52

I've been having a rough time for awhile. I get up times, but feel lousy again. How I feel is keeping me from some of my goals and wanting relationships. I still keep busy with hobbies and part time work though. My sleep issues with voices and dreams are bothersome. I think that keeps triggering my anxiety. I recently had a psychatrist say it's normal if your stressed. I'm trying hard to find relief from this. I'm not sure if this is depression or not. I tried online tests and the results vary.

I

Intareseid

I'm of course not a professional. But after a lifetime of dealing with it I think there are two signs that may distinguish actual depression from just the regular downs of life.

Those being the degree of it and the real life justification for it, to call it something.

Negative emotions are natural and perhaps even necessary part of life and there are many, many life situations where its perfectly reasonable to feel down. The issue comes when that feeling lasts far too long or is far too strong given the real life situation that triggered but those are of course very subjective measures.

As a bit of an extra, I'd also say that when all or almost all your emotions fall into the negative or neutral (sort of numbed) spectrum then that usually points towards depression. I think its possible to be 90% into negative emotions at a given time but if you can still regularly experience some small joy, fun, passion and similar then it may still be healthy.

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Hi Rider,

The DSM-5 is the book that all mental health professional will use to diagnosis you for depression. I have copied and pasted the criteria bellow.
  1. Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day.
  2. Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day.
  3. Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain, or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
  4. A slowing down of thought and a reduction of physical movement (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down).
  5. Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
  6. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day.
  7. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day.
  8. Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.
If those symptoms sound similar to what you've been going through It might be a good idea to see a professional. Hope that helps!

AdamP72

AdamP72

Memphis TN, center of the musical universe
Much of what I was going to share has already been well said. For what it’s worth, I thought I would share a list of symptoms which I experience when I’m in any kind of a significant depressive episode. I do hope that it’s of some value to you as you seek answers and clarity.

Very depressed mood

Generalized anxiety

Hyper/hyposomnia

Loss of appetite

Inability to live in the present

Body aches

Intense fear

Headache

Difficulty concentrating & thinking

Paranoia

Impaired short-term memory

Lack of motivation