What are other people's triggers for agoraphobia?

M

MuniD

Hi, I'm Mike,

I've just gotten a diagnosis of anxiety disorder and agoraphobia a few weeks ago. Then I started wondering, as I'm about to start the therapy sessions, what do other people expierience? What are your triggers? Mine are large squares (not if they are crowded), travelling by train and mountain tops. It also gets worse when I'm tired (or hungover).

Do any of you have similar triggers?

Thanks,

Mike

C

Candy19

I've slowly been overcoming the travelling part as that used to be a big trigger for me as well, a few years ago I was way too scared to go on a train alone, now I take one almost every day

Some of my triggers are-
large crowds especially in small spaces
fear of coming across people I recognise and don't like me
feeling ugly
having to go somewhere new
college / classrooms

my weirdest but most horrible trigger is I sometimes over think the things that could potentially happen if I'm walking alone somewhere like murder, kidnap, rape etc.. which I guess sort of links into paranoia

a lot of my triggers are caused by staying in the house for too long sometimes without realising, then when I do have to go out anxiety kicks in which leads to even more avoidance, I end up having to force myself out of the house some way by making plans with friends or something and trying not to back out of them

M

MuniD

Thank you for your response. Im sorry that you have these problems. I think it's interesting, what you said about staying in the house causing more anxiety. I think I recognise this problem myself. Thank you a lot for sharing.

F

Fancyharm

Good luck with everything.

I found relaxation exercises help a lot for me. It is what In turn to in times of trouble.

A

amk21977

agoraphobia

Feeling ugly and large crowds. I just don't like people in general. I would much rather be alone by myself. I feel claustrophobic and anxious when I am around other people. I feel like they are judging me and I hate it.