• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What are negative symptoms of schizoaffective?

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

all answers greatly appreciated xoxoxoxoxoxox

F

firemonkee57

Negative symptoms, such as:

Affective flattening - diminishment of, or absence of, emotional expressiveness
Alogia - lack or decline in speech
Avolition - lack or drop in motivation
Anhedonia - inability to experience pleasurable emotions from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise, social interaction or sexual activities.
What is schizoaffective disorder? What causes schizoaffective disorder? - Medical News Today

basically same as negative symptoms of schizophrenia

Negative symptoms

Negative symptoms are associated with disruptions to normal emotions and behaviors. These symptoms are harder to recognize as part of the disorder and can be mistaken for depression or other conditions. These symptoms include the following:

"Flat affect" (a person's face does not move or he or she talks in a dull or monotonous voice)
Lack of pleasure in everyday life
Lack of ability to begin and sustain planned activities
Speaking little, even when forced to interact.

People with negative symptoms need help with everyday tasks. They often neglect basic personal hygiene. This may make them seem lazy or unwilling to help themselves, but the problems are symptoms caused by the schizophrenia.
NIMH · Schizophrenia

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Thank you fire monkey x

SarahD

SarahD

I have schizoaffective bipolar type (supposedly) and as far as I can see the negative aspects are all things you experience with depression. Perhaps that is why they are "mistaken for depression". Wonder if there is really any difference?

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

I have schizoaffective bipolar type (supposedly) and as far as I can see the negative aspects are all things you experience with depression. Perhaps that is why they are "mistaken for depression". Wonder if there is really any difference?
thank you, im schizoaffective but im not sure what type at a guess i would say bipolar type too but idk

SarahD

SarahD

Schizoaffective disorder is either depressive type or bipolar type (which includes depressive episodes). It includes positive symptoms from schizophrenia. Not sure that it includes the negative ones, so those kind of symptoms in schizoaffective disorder would probably come under episodes of depression. I think.

SarahD

SarahD

Oh. I have just seen an article which says it does include the negative symptoms.

C

Christobel

I think individuals are so different, it's no wonder psychiatrists have such difficulties diagnosing. In my case I was diagnosed schizoaffective depressive type. I didn't have 'episodes' of depression, just crying almost continually. I read the link in this thread and see that crying is down as a behavioural problem - seems a bit harsh!

SarahD

SarahD

Yes it does seem harsh!

This question is quite interesting. I was wondering whether, when I consider myself depressed but not as severely as I am now for instance (sorry this is convoluted) I may be mistaking the negative symptoms for depression. So - I am depressed for much of the time, but maybe sometimes it's not so clear cut. Oh I don't know, you still feel like ---- .

porkpie

porkpie

I'm Schizoaffective bipolar type and suffer from depression.

anouska

anouska

I even find it extremely difficult to come on the site sometimes, I feel depressed then.

I've lost interest in many activities, every activity in fact (other than coming on the site).

Lack of hygiene. Appalling, I've been wearing & sleeping in the same clothes for the past 3 nights/days.

Finding it incredibly difficult to do everyday tasks, the simplest of things.

Also, am very quiet & quite often just stare at nothing for a long time(sometimes thinking, sometimes not).

Last edited:
SarahD

SarahD

Well anouska that really sounds like me at the moment. My place is such a mess too. I just don't care to sort anything out. There doesn't seem any point anymore.

Gajolene

Gajolene

My son JS is Scitzoaffective bipolar type as you put it. He has had negative symptoms of scitzophrenia in the past before being stabilized by his medication. He thought bugs were getting under his skin and was doing strange things in attempts to stop it, he held onto those beliefs for the first few years. The episodal paranoia's as well I would consider a negative symptom as they spur irrational thinking. Heightened anxiety and exagerated fears as well are ongoing. He is not usually depressed though. His self care is good but his cleaning and incentive to get things done is terrible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Schizoaffective Forum 2