• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What about the scars ?

alohomora

alohomora

Hi everyone.

It's been awhile since I've been here. I am isolating with my family due to the current pandemic and I'm trying to find ways to remove my self harm scars or even just make them lighter. I have two on my shoulder, one on my left arm, one on my right hand, and two on my right upper knee. The two biggest are the ones on my knee and shoulder. They're both less than 6 months old. Right now they're red, purple-ish, and swollen. About two inches long. Nobody in my family know I self harm. I am hiding it. I would like to know if you had any advice that would help with the scars. I heard garlic, honey, coconut butter are natural stuff you can put on your skin two times a day to make the scars look better : have any of you ever tried this?
I really hope my post will get answers because I am being very anxious and self conscious about this issue. Please help me.

Thank you, and be safe everyone!

Laura.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Chemists sell scar cream that hopefully should help.
Massaging when healed can help.

C

caritu

This is a very serious problem. The simplest advice is that you do not harm yourself, but I understand that this is individually an individual matter. My girlfriend had a similar problem. She tried for a long time to get rid of problems with her skin. It was hard to find a really healthy cream. The choice was between two manufacturers Obagi Zo vs Rodan and Fields. We had to read a lot of articles to figure out which one would be the best. Check out the products of each company, I’m sure that you will find the product that will help you.

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Creams can help fade some scars, but I'm extremely sceptical of how much they help with bigger scars. Honestly, I think you're best off coming to terms with them.

S

sixxdegrees

It sounds like your scars may not be very obvious in their location to point to self-induced injuries. I think time is honestly the best thing for healing scars. Creams and such you could try but i never noticed much effect (spent $150 on a scar cream post surgery) but over the years the scars have faded. My self-harm scars are there but much less visible unless you are looking pretty closely at my thighs.

L

likesilencebutnotreallysilent

Hi, it's months since you posted this but I just wanted to say I hope you're doing okay and that your family is understanding if they found out. I was in a very similar situation at the start of quarantine and I also scrambled for quick-fix solutions to scars but the truth is you just have to give it time. They will fade and it will become easier and easier to look at yourself and feel comfortable with them. Stay safe and be well.