What’s your opinion on alcohol?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it says on my drug warning do not drink alcohol whilst taking this medicine, just noticed used to say avoid alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EstherRose94

I've had alcohol a few times and never got the hype of it, I purposely don't attend the "lets drink till we act crazy" events, but a drink or two at a restaurant or something I don't mind, I just think it's really irresponsible to go beyond what you can manage
I wind up learning this the hard way on about a semiannual basis. Drunk Rosie is not the brightest crayon in the box and I don’t like her in charge so I’m pretty much done with getting drunk too.

D

dewey

I am on that team of people who think that alcohol is one of the very worst drugs, in terms of the problems it can cause.

Sure, there are people who can drink 'healthily', 'neurotypicals' who won't run into real bother with it and can go to the pub after work and be just fine. But that doesn't mean it is extremely harmful on an emotional level - and more so than a lot of people actually consciously will admit or accept.

I also recently heard the viewpoint that drinking at the pub in groups is the extrovert's therapy, when they're drinking in the pub, they are therapising themselves in some sense, whereas introverts are more likely to be really screwed up and tormented by the issues and seek out therapy because they want to make sense of what the hell is going on. Interesting view point.

D

dewey

I have very bad experiences with alcohol. My mother is an alcoholic and alcohol just makes her even more like jekyl and hyde. I understand that some people can drink in moderation and have no lasting damage from it impacting their lives. However, I do not know my limits and will continuously drink until I black out and vomit. Blacking out and being alone as a girl has led me to becoming raped and putting myself in dangerous situations. I know the type of man who lurks for that sad drunk lonely girl and that is what alcohol makes me think of. I tried to use it to be more social, however it ended with being used to numb out all the pain. Alcohol for me is hiding my true potential and instead allowing myself to be self destructive and on the path of sexual abuse and killing my body. I cannot drink anymore.
Sending out love. I want you to know you are worth more than the poison alcohol, and the lowlives that did this to you.

Amorerose

Amorerose

Aww thank you dewey. I've been doing much better and I am on day 9 sober I believe. :) My cravings haven't been so bad because I keep thinking about my last experience and it was horrible.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it's all very well attacking alcohol but if your so dopey on psychiatric drugs you let the local ex con violent offender into your flat, that isn't cool either

as i say what about psychiatric drugs, women think a bit of love can sort out the alky they don't think that of someone on psychiatric drugs

Valka

Valka

I'm not a fan of it, but I sometimes do wonder if I would have taken too much of a liking to the stuff if I didn't think it all tasted so nasty.

Unfortunately though if you don't drink you're seen as "boring" which doesn't help when you're not very social in the first place. Cost me some friends when I was around 18 that did, including someone I'd known since reception.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'd argue the stigma of taking psychiatric drugs is worse than the stigma of been an alky, alcohol is a more acceptable drug

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
as i said to this guy who said alcohol and tobacco were worse than cannabis, people can get better from alcoholism, how many get better from drug addiction, there was that guy at addaction on methodone working i can actually visualise drs saying he's better on methodone after all heard in my day i was better on psychiatric drugs

and it appears my gp my only contact with the nhs, from the way she makes me wait hrs, at her surgery, after the apppt time, i'm not seriously ill

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
got sore throat drinking on it doesn't help, maybe i'd rather take a sleeper but don't have any, need to contact dr, and do i want to be woken up at night from a sleeping pill, i cou;d be vulnerable more so than alcohol, all thoughts

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

Drinking is no worse than psychotropics for most folks.
Some can make it work for them. For others it does a job on them. It's fairly easy to spot the difference.
I never want to attend a dry funeral.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
doctors would argue psychotropics control deviant antisocial behaviour where as alcohol increases it

experience has taught me i'd rather my neighbours took psychiatric drugs than refused

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

doctors would argue psychotropics control deviant antisocial behaviour where as alcohol increases it

experience has taught me i'd rather my neighbours took psychiatric drugs than refused
You're right. My comment was a broad overstatement. I do have legitimate issues with psychotropics but clearly many are helped. I suppose if alcohol were prescribed and folks followed boundaries there'd be far less issues there. In any case my previous comment was massively flip and unthinking.
Tho I stand by the dry funeral bit.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
we all have legitimate concerns with psychotropics but this is not an ideal world, i totally hate taking them but given no alternatives

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

we all have legitimate concerns with psychotropics but this is not an ideal world, i totally hate taking them but given no alternatives
I apologize if my idiot comment was offensive. It was a bonehead statement made on the fly without a lick of thought. Honestly I deserved far more heat for that than your well-mannered reply. Of course I know the matter is more complicated than I carelessly implied. Please excuse my impolitic brain belch.

J

JasonR28

For me alcohol has been a genuine lifesaver. The NHS do nothing whatsoever to help me and with no family or friends I have to do what I can to survive. Alcohol helps me do that.

It was only the other week I went to a beer festival. It started off as usual, full symptoms, shaking, feeling upset about the symptoms always ruining my life. I got my first pint in and I could barely hold the glass because of shaking so much. Spilling it over the sides I walked to my seat carrying the glass with both hands. By time I had finished my third pint the symptoms were all mostly gone.

I then thoroughly enjoyed the festival, being myself, chatting to people.

Legit if I went and didn't touch a drop of booze I would have been shaking the entire time, not enjoying it and would have gone home after in tears knowing the symptoms have ruined what would have been a good day out.

I know people might say the shaking could be withdrawals from alcohol but it really isn't. I've been shaking like that for no reason all my life, long before I ever touched a drop of alcohol.

From what I understand now my symptoms aren't to do with fears but are to do with a faulty gene. Which means no type of talking therapy will improve anything. If I was given the right support to live a relatively normal life or something else like medication to reduce symptoms I would stop drinking right away

ninarose

ninarose

I know some people think negatively about it especially after escaping an abusive alcoholic but I was just wondering how many Share my viewpoint? I personally don’t drink alcohol myself but I’m okay if people drink in front of me despite being abused by an alcoholic. I think that it can cause problems but those who drink around me are adults and I have no right telling them what they should do if they aren’t hurting anyone. I know there are also different types of alcoholics out there and not all of them are bad people that need to be avoided. I usually don’t drink alcohol because most of the time I taste the alcohol first and started to gag and then thirty seconds later taste the flavor that I should have tasted first. I just don’t l8ke the taste of alcohol.

i very strongly dislike alcohol and don’t let myself drink it due to abusive people in my life having avid drinking habits, seeing my uncle pass away due to liver failure from drinking, and seeing my grandmother develop extreme dementia due to her alcoholism. i know drinking can be a fun lil activity for some people but i think it has far too many cases where it ruins lives