• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What’s your alternative to meds?

M

Manic16

I saw a dude years ago who tried to prescribe me something after I was diagnosed bp..don’t know what it was but he said if I wasn’t actually bi polar it would make me so crazy shit like think I’m living normal reality.. so for that reason I decided two things.. one, the doctor was a moron and two, I wasn’t going to Medicate.

So for those of you who don’t medicate or have an alternative that works for you to calm your thoughts, lift your spirits, abs help you feel (if your like me) that your not a useless dirtbag of emotions, I’m curious to hear what you do. For me it’s the gym.. taking a high dose of preworkout and crushing those weights. That’s my therapy.

S

Salster

Cbd oil when available or a cannabis joint if desperate.which is the only thing that makes me feel in a small part "normal".it calms my mind, and gives me the ability to think without turning into a quivering wreck.
I'm actual on medication from the Dr.i have 2 medications both on full dose and I'm worse than I've even been( obviouslythey don't work, but I'm not a dr....).
I've been on antidepressants and anxiety meds my whole life. Different meds ,different doses...
Yet still nowt has worked.i have physical conditions now from the drugs they pumped into me.
I've gave up now I've asked the g.p to strip me of my meds.
They don't work for me, it's that simple.
I've simply been misdiagnosed for years, as I actually have cptsd.(according to my therapist).
Yet getting a diagnosis for that now so I can get help, just seems impossible.
When, if I had an official diagnose ,instead of just "yeah we think may hhave this but we don't want to label you" they've labelled me my whole life by just assuming I have anxiety and depression, for a quick fix.no further investigation, just a script
They don't make it easy at all for people who want to take the raines and mange their own condition, with treatments and therapies.
I'm just going to continue self medicating to regulate my emotions.with cannabanoid substances.
And keep going with the therapy.
I'm in the darkest times of my life,yet i feel more optimistic than I have in years from making this decision.
Meds may work for some but I believe g.p's attitudes toward just writing a scripts out for anyone and everyone seeking help is wrong , instead they should be looking for the cause or root of the problem, it would probably cost them less... but no, willy nilly prescriptions are wrote out that don't help people.its all just making the whole thing worse.I.M.O

They act like ,you take the pills or youllll 100% end up in crisis again.( I'm only talking about my own experience here ,not in general).
There is no support for not following their recommendations. Your just classed as an awkward service user.
It makes me so mad.

Congrats !!!
in successfully advocating for yourself ,as well as finding something that helps you personally, to be able to have no meds.well done you.
That's a big achievement in anyones book 👏

S

SFGuy

I'm in the darkest times of my life,yet i feel more optimistic than I have in years from making this decision.
Wow! That's I gigantic achievement.

CBD & THC don't work for me and I can't stand being stoned, so I take a whole bunch of prescription meds. If a med or CBD worked for me like it does for you, I'd sign up in a minute.

PS: When I asked my pdoc about CPTSD, she said "Yeah, you, me, and the rest of my patients. Give me something I can treat." Her point: there isn't a drug for CPTSD, but she can treat symptoms like anxiety, insomnia, mood instability, etc.

S

Salster

Im þhe opposite I cant stand feeling stoned with the meds.
Thc and cbd just kind of leave me feeling quite aware, stable and calm.its also a great pain killer.
But there's a whole stigma attached so every time I do, I go on a guilt trip of how bad i feel about it.up until recently anyway.
I've come to realise now though ,its not only the only thing that works (for me ).its doing mee less damage than what theyve been giving me for years.
I'm glad they work for you though ,I believe we all just need to find whatever works best for us and go with it.in order to survive.
Each to there own as they say..

T

Traveler5

I don't know if I have an alternative. I've relied on meds for so long. But if I had to choose, it would be writing. When I write I go into a different world created by imagination and fact. I hyper-focus there. Nothing can disturb me. I lose all track of time. I am able to forget my troubles.

M

Manic16

That’s awesome guys! I’m glad most of you have found alternatives and if you still rely on meds that’s fine, nobody’s judging and we’re all in this together right? I’ve found that having a routine everyday is a life saver, it gives me stability and keeps me accountable. Without a written routine I’d get in my on head about stuff and start spiraling

C

Comorbidity

Environment, I either need an environment as it was for 16 years of my working life in the music industry, where there isn't any stress or grief and I only have to dip my toe in society very briefly now and then and only see other people at their very best when they are 'up' in a neurotypical sense because they're on a night out at a show seeing their favourite band

Or I need to be in an environment which is very sedate with precious little interaction or stimulus that can make my moods swing more severely, they swing still, pretty fractiously at times in all truth, sudden bursts of or feeling of being overwhelmed by a certain mood I know only too well out of the blue.

Obviously the first was my much preferred environment, but I've been out of the game for far too long to get back in and after trying to be part of society gave me the mother of all episodes, well, I have to be incredibly responsible and with how fractious and unpredictable it's made things, knowing how dark and incredibly dangerous a place it can now take me with the C-PTSD and how it has devastated any consistency in my moods and energy levels especially, I couldn't do what I would need to or used to in order to return to the first environment even if the opportunity presented itself.

Kotter

Kotter

taking walks.
my meds help too.

I

InnovatingProfessor

I combine meds with many coping tips.
A few important ones:
  • Routine and structure - the keystone for everone with a mental illness
  • Excercising at least 30 minutes / day. I exercise 6 - 7 times a week.
  • Eating healthy and limit one junk food day where you may eat unhealty.
  • Avoiding extrem portions carbs or added sugars because it influences dopamin neurotransmitter in a bad way.
  • Drink enough amounts (4 glasses minimal) of water, many people drink other things too much.
  • Making time for relaxation, mindfulness, meditation, Yoga, Gi-Gong, whatever helps you
  • Magnesium supplement helps with relaxing mind and body (muscles). New research indicates it has some mood stabilizing effects.
    I use it when I am very psychotic also, it seems to blur the symptoms for me.
  • A hot bath or shower effects the bloodpressure in a positive way. A lower bloodpressure is better to help with mania.
  • Vitamines D deficiency is associated with depression, Vitamine B12 deficiency is associated with more then 50 symptoms especially in the range of mental illness.
  • Melatonin supplement (=sleep hormon) for better sleeping
I will make a full list for the forum at a apart topic in the future.

H

hairybanana

Weed has by far been the most helpful for me. Also take ad’s for what little good they do. They’ve helped with anxiety, but not depression. On the flip side, weed can ramp up my anxiety and also seems to make ptsd related nightmares more frequent and intense. But at least i can sleep if i smoke a bit before bed. Even if it’s shitty sleep, it’s still sleep. And i can function better the next day. At the moment, if i go to bed without smoking anything, I can’t sleep, like at all.

N

natalie

I take medicat ion for my anxity, thoiugh I have traits of mild bipolar mood swings (undiagnosed), I listen to music, and knitting, to calm me down, and keep me calm,

also working out along to my fitness dvds.

When able and safely to do so, attending fitness dance groups, such as zumba gold/zumba.