• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What’s the problem with psychiatrists?

M

Marie

I would like to get the general consensus as to why people feel that psychiatrists/clinical psychologists/med professionals do not help?
Is it there attitude, working practices or ignorance etc?
I have a mild form of bipolar and I’m studying for a degree to hopefully become a clinical psychologist.

I want to know what’s going wrong Or right?

Thanks

schiz01

schiz01

Psychiatrists look at you as they would a chemical cocktail

A psychologist looks at you as a whole person

Psychology is the way to go in my opinion

good luck.....research research......I only speak from personal experience

R

rasselas

I would like to get the general consensus as to why people feel that psychiatrists/clinical psychologists/med professionals do not help?
Is it there attitude, working practices or ignorance etc?
I have a mild form of bipolar and I’m studying for a degree to hopefully become a clinical psychologist.

I want to know what’s going wrong Or right?

Thanks
After many, many, many years of being reduced, as schiz01 says, to a 'chemical cocktail' I was finally earmarked for psychological counselling and I must say, even after a few months, it's been a very positive experience. The MHT would probably have enabled this a long time ago, but their resources never extended to be able to provide the kind of help I needed.

This isn't the first psychologist I've seen. It's the first time I have clicked. That's one of the reasons that psychological interventions are more tricky than psychiatric ones. With psychiatry, engagement is relatively very rapid: determine symptomolgy based on DSM, and prescribe appropriate pill. Monitor situation, adjusting drugs as necessary.

With a psychologist you have to be ready to talk, ready to a degree to bring up difficult feelings and emotions (and the consequences of that) and find a level of trust and basic human connection with each other. That takes time, and like I say, just as in all aspects of life, it's going to go well, or have a better chance to, if you click in some way.

With a psychiatrist, it obviously helps if you click, but it doesn't matter ultimately if you do or don't. And their focus for most people is going to be on how you are getting along with the drugs. That can lead to animosity and crossed wires.

Good luck with your chosen profession.

:)

oneday

oneday

Hi Marie

First, I don't think that everyone thinks that medical professionals do not help, and as schiz01 says, there can be a big difference between how psychiatrists operate and how psychologists (and how other mental health professionals) do - and, of course, a huge difference between how individuals within each profession think and operate.

I'm very interested in your question, but don't have the time or energy to give my answer about this here - I'd suggest looking under the section 'Your two pence worth' for some detailed debate, including some of my ideas/posts - particularly the threads that I contributed a lot of posts to (or started), especially on page 2: e.g. ‘"Bio-medical model" rubbish’ or ‘Is the medical model really so evil ?’ or ‘The case against antipsychotic drugs’, oh and there was one one anti-depressants too. (You could also also see my thread called 'introducing.... oneday' under the 'Introduce yourself' section. )

Hope that helps a bit?!
:) Oneday

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

they think they know it all.well all the ones i have spoken to anyway,they still know very little about the brain yet,but you try telling one of them that :eek:

oneday

oneday

Yes, no-more-weed, there's the old joke:

What's the difference between God and a psychiatrist?
- God doesn't think He's a psychiatrist!

Hi again, Marie
I've just posted a long piece on psychiatric diagnosis under 'Your two pence worth' (thread: 'advantages and disadvantages of..') which I think's relevant to what you're asking - and there's other relevant discussion in that thread too...

R

rasselas

Hi Marie

First, I don't think that everyone thinks that medical professionals do not help, and as schiz01 says, there can be a big difference between how psychiatrists operate and how psychologists (and how other mental health professionals) do - and, of course, a huge difference between how individuals within each profession think and operate.

I'm very interested in your question, but don't have the time or energy to give my answer about this here - I'd suggest looking under the section 'Your two pence worth' for some detailed debate, including some of my ideas/posts - particularly the threads that I contributed a lot of posts to (or started), especially on page 2: e.g. ‘"Bio-medical model" rubbish’ or ‘Is the medical model really so evil ?’ or ‘The case against antipsychotic drugs’, oh and there was one one anti-depressants too. (You could also also see my thread called 'introducing.... oneday' under the 'Introduce yourself' section. )

Hope that helps a bit?!
O those happy days of debating threads... you've got me feeling all sentimental... what happened to the passionate exchanges! :)

oneday

oneday

:p hee hee

Yep, Mark - peace or passion? I'm going to start a poll!!

Seriously, though, that's a dilemma in my life - peace or passion? acceptance or struggle? And maybe for human life?! What is that saying about neutral, peaceful Switzerland, and what have they invented? - the cuckoo clock? (actually that's unfair - I'm sure there's lots: I love nutty museli, and there's Swiss army knifes... [fill in your favourite Swiss inventions and people here!...])

Anyway, Sapphire/mods needs the break.

But linking it it back to your question, Marie, I think one problem with psychiatry is that it hasn't had the humility (or confidence, probably) to engage in honest, open and empathetic dialogue and debate with the people it's meant to be helping. French philosopher/historian Michel Foucault described the history of psychiatry as a "monologue of reason about madness". Hopefully, your psychology training will be about dialogue.

The importance of debate, dialogue, discussion? I came across this quote from someone else's posting on this forum the other day:

"We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

We need to keep thinking and have our thinking (respectfully) challenged if we're going to grow and mature (whatever age we are) and learn to live with some measure of wisdom and courage in this crazy world.

And another quote, that I can't find just now, that I came across, says that a mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to the same shape.

R

rasselas

:)

yes, I agree about giving the mods some time to breathe. still can't help getting itchy feet!

oneday

oneday

*This was bugging me... of course Einstein himself was Swiss...

....and psychiatrist/psychoanalyst Carl Jung, and artists Jean Arp and Paul Klee (who I love), and there's architect Le Corbusier (Charles-Edouard Jeanneret), developmental psychologist Jean Piaget, Rudolf Stiener (philosopher/educator), Luis Chevrolet (automobile engineer), Yul Brynner, Ursula Andress (actors), John Calvin (religious leader), Ingvar Kamprard (founder of IKEA).....

:grouphug: Peace.

R

rasselas

pedantic to the last!

Albert Einstein was born at Ulm, in Württemberg, Germany, on March 14, 1879. Six weeks later the family moved to Munich, where he later on began his schooling at the Luitpold Gymnasium. Later, they moved to Italy and Albert continued his education at Aarau, Switzerland and in 1896 he entered the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich to be trained as a teacher in physics and mathematics. In 1901, the year he gained his diploma, he acquired Swiss citizenship and, as he was unable to find a teaching post, he accepted a position as technical assistant in the Swiss Patent Office. In 1905 he obtained his doctor's degree.

R

rasselas

A few swiss inventions:

George de Mestral - velcro

Heinrich Rohrer -
with Gerd Binnig invented the scanning tunneling microscope (STM), n 1981, which provided the first images of individual atoms on the surfaces of materials.

Horace Bénédict de Saussure, 1783 - Hygrometer

Jacques Edwin Brandenberger - Cellophane

I think they also invented yodelling!

oneday

oneday

Wiki has Einstein as a "German-born Swiss-American"(!) (of course he became an American citizen eventually, fleeing Nazism) - It also has his family as "non-observant Jews".

But what's a hygrometer do??

...there's Emmental (one of my favourite cheeses)

Astrid

Astrid

I have never been to a psychiatrist (except in-hospital but I don't count that). My experiences with psychologists have been disappointing. I guess I always just felt like I was wanting them to tell me why they think I do things or think things, but they just wanted to ask me why I think that I think or do things. It's like, I already know what I think about myself, I wanted to know what they thought, but I rarely got answers. I always felt like they were thinking I was really screwed up but didn't want to upset me by saying so.
I always left feeling like a frog in a 7th grade science class...like all my guts had been pulled out and they went "hmm, I see, interesting" but I got nothing in return.:unsure: